Isaac's Famous Challah

Isaac Brock

Sep 28, 2003
My parents and my Jewish neighbour adore this bread. It's no quite the traditional Jewish bread, but it's tasty nonetheless. Eggy flavour with a crust almost like a pretzel. Good for all your multicultural friends who don't mind the mosaic (read: confusion) of flavours.

Bread
5-5 1/2 cups bread flour
2 tsp salt
2 tbs sugar
1/2 c butter/marg
2 packages or tsb of dry yeast
3 eggs
1 egg white
1 tsp vanilla
1 c hot water (50-60C) freak i don't know (100-120?F)
pinch Saffron

Wash
1 egg yolk
2 tbs milk

Kosher salt

Okay, in a mixing bown add 2 c's flour, sugar, yeast and hot water. Let stand until frothy. Add salt, vanilla, eggs, egg white, saffron and butter. Mix thoroughly. Slowly add flour until dough feels consistent and pulls from side of bowl.

Place dough on counter and mix with hand to make dough into one mass. Knead dough for 10 minutes.

For those of you who don't know how to knead:
1. Squish dough with hard pressing or pounding of hands.
2. Fold dough lengthwise.
3. Press hard until consistent.
4. Rotate dough 90 degress
5. Repeat.

Once kneaded, shape into ball and place into clean metallic/ceramic bowl covered with Saran wrap and leave to rise in a warm (25-30C) (80F?) place for one hour or until doubled in size (make sure it grows well).

After one hour. Flatted dough by pressing down hard until all air bubbles are removed. Shape in to flat rectange. Divide dough into one 1/3 part and one 2/3 part.

Further divide 1/3 part into 3. Roll the three pieces into 14" strands. Braid strands (into a twist bread) and tucks seams at each end.

Further divide 2/3 part into 3. Rool the three pieces into 12" strands. Braid strangs and tuck seam at each end.

You should now have to seperate braided breads. One large and shorter, one small and longer. Place the shorter braid on the larger braid and tuck small braid below large braid at each end. Place combined braids onto a pan that has been either greased, or my favorite, covered with uncooked corn meal (gives it a bakery touch).

Cover combined braids loosely with Saran wrap and let rise for an hour until a fancy mass is created. Pre-heat oven to 375. Coat bread with egg-milk wash and sprinkle liberally with kosher or coarse salt. Place in oven and cook for 20-25 minutes. You may need to cover with foil if it is browning too much.

Enjoy! Great for fancy dinners... amaze guests and friends!

Ooops I forgot a picture!

Crap I can't seem to attach it. :mad: If anyone wants a picture I'd be more than happy to share.

Here's the picture of the bread, Isaac emailed it to me. (not sure why it wouldn't load for you, as long as it has the right file extension and is under 200k you should be ok)

Looks awesome, now I'm hungry!

Thanks... i have no clue why it wouldn't upload. It's only 40k. Go figure.

Looks good. Can you make some and mail it to me??? I can return the favor...with store bought goodies as I cannot cook or bake!!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, that looks like a bakery!

That does look awesome!!!! will have to try it! Moi, if I can succeed in making, will make one for you too!

Forum List

Back