Is Your Money Where Your Mouth Is?

Once the Democrats took control of Congress, I moved my money out of the stock market. My money is safe for now. On the way to and from work, I pass several Obama supporters sitting on their front porch who obviously don't work. And taxes? I'm already taxed to death supporting the welfare State. I have moved some of my money out of the country. More and more people will do this as long as the Leftists have a stranglehold on the US.

kind of silly... you pulled your money out after it had lost most of its value because of republican policies.

dems always do better with the economy, silly. you should have let it ride.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2005_05/006282.php

http://www.slate.com/id/2199810/

the myth of repubs being good with the economy is just that -- a myth. it should be trashed along with the myth that ronald reagan cut taxes and believed in small government.

I'm somewhat conservative, but I also get tired of hearing conservatives talk about welfare all the time. Yes, there are many on the dole who don't deserve to be, but there are also many who collect benefits who I would not call welfare recipients, one of those being me.

My wife died nearly seven years ago. I was left to raise my two boys on my own. They were only 4 and 6 years old when she died. So, I collect Social Security benefits for them until they turn 18. I certainly don't feel bad about it, as she contributed to SS and never will collect retirement benefits. And I certainly don't consider myself some lazy person collecting welfare.

Some may disagree. I'm curious how all of you feel about these type of benefits. Are they welfare in your mind?
Not mine. I believe that most people that go on welfare don't make a career of it. Most use it as a temporary helping hand. The welfare queen is a myth.

I have to laugh at people that constantly criticize our country's policies, put their money outside of the country but continue to live here and enjoy all the benefits they are afforded simply for being an American.

I'm somewhat conservative, but I also get tired of hearing conservatives talk about welfare all the time. Yes, there are many on the dole who don't deserve to be, but there are also many who collect benefits who I would not call welfare recipients, one of those being me.

My wife died nearly seven years ago. I was left to raise my two boys on my own. They were only 4 and 6 years old when she died. So, I collect Social Security benefits for them until they turn 18. I certainly don't feel bad about it, as she contributed to SS and never will collect retirement benefits. And I certainly don't consider myself some lazy person collecting welfare.

Some may disagree. I'm curious how all of you feel about these type of benefits. Are they welfare in your mind?

We don't have enough information Bro'.

It is kind of like Ronald Regans and Bill Clintons retirement benefits from the treasury... There is a difference between 'legally entitled to' and 'needed'.

Good 'welfare' is needed. Bad 'welfare' is a legal entitlement from The Peoples treasury that is not needed. A man or woman must decide in the privacy of their own heart if they need help.

-Joe

when my dad died his social security helped put me through university......until reagan canceled it......

social security isn't welfare. social security is getting back money you contributed into the system.

i'm sorry both of you were in circumstances that allowed you to get that money. but i'm glad it was there for you.

i'd be interested in knowing where you stand on the right wing's efforts to destroy social security.

when my dad died his social security helped put me through university......until reagan canceled it......

While my dad lived I paid my own way through college.
So did my brother, my sister and my other sister. That damn Mr Reagan.

Dude... are you heartless, or stupid? Should I have pity or sympathy? Is your avatar an accurate depiction?

-Joe

Of course not.

You and your wife paid into an insurance plan and you had the bad fortune to need it.

I just had a conversation about this today. Family Dollar, Dollar General and Freds are great buys. Obama's policies will continue to increase the divide between the haves and the have-nots. It's time we got ready.

I've been shopping at the Dollar Store since GWB 1 was in office. Am I a have, or have not I wonder.....................

Should have bought stock in Dollar Store way back then too.

If you have to work to make a living?

Even if you are making $250,000+ a year, you are a have not.

The HAVES are so unbelieveable wealthy that it boggles the mind, folks.

They truly are only about 1% of the population.

And most of you upper middle class types who imagine that when people like me bitch about the rich, you're included?

Well, you're just wrong.

You people deserve every fucking cent you have.

You are paying the lions share of the tax cuts that the TRULY wealthy are now no longer paying.

Some of you are dumb enough to think that welfare poverty is causing you taxes to rise, but most of you, I think are smart enough to realize that welfare is a small very samll part of the real problem you are facing.

Most people on WELFARE are under 16 years of age, folks.

They're not parsites, they're children.

I will tell you one thing....if I ever have to temporarily recieve money from the government because my husband and I find ourselves in need....I will not feel guilty for one nano second.

Our GROSS income now, is less than what we paid in taxes each year when we both were working....the government has gotten more in taxes from us than we have in total savings/retirement now....that's pretty frightening... I didn't give two hoots about paying high taxes when we were "in the money", not one iota, because I felt that I was blessed making the dough we did and thought others might need help and I thought my country, who had allowed my opportunities to get me to where we were, needed the money for our infrastructure to keep it going....more than we did....

(now granted, i was in my late twenties and 30's, didnt think about ever dying or even ever not working or retirement, because I loved my career from head to toe.....

and was pretty dumb about my own finances...

but if you were in the Retail business and wanted someone to make you a few million in extra/additional profit.. in a year or two. I could do it in a heartbeat...

seriously, this was the case...i didn't care about our money, or even know enough to invest in the stock market with any confidence...just didn't have the time for ME, it was too much fun making others, my employers the dough....and getting my pat on the backs and promotions and raises and measly bonus checks compared to what i made them, but all GOOD ENOUGH for me and matt...

Talk about immaturity on my and matt's part!.... sheeeesh!!!)

Anyway, times change, circumstances changed and here we are, just making it...yet make too much to qualify for any gvt help....with 401k's that lost 40-50%, and our one prize possession in which we paid cash for, our home, dropping in value every minute that ticks on the clock...

primarily because of the lack of prudent, government oversite...

sure the civilians were the greedy ones, from people buying homes that were way over their head, and from the stupid, stupid, stupid new, unfettered, poor business practices, of Wall Street.

Anyway, i primarily am telling this story for those of you that are young and climbing the ladder of their own careers or even in a career for the sake of putting food in your mouth...

ALWAYS PREPARE for the future, as though the future will change on you....prepare for the worst, be happy with the best.

START SAVING YOUR MONEY, when you are young... live on a one person salary, even if the other spouce is working and do NOT believe that things will always be good for you...or that you will live, healthy, forever.

So, if matt and I ever get to the stage that we needed gvt help for something, there would be no guilt there, what so ever....they have had several hundred thousand dollars of our money for decades, in all the different taxes we have paid.

care

I will tell you one thing....if I ever have to temporarily recieve money from the government because my husband and I find ourselves in need....I will not feel guilty for one nano second.

Our GROSS income now, is less than what we paid in taxes each year when we both were working....the government has gotten more in taxes from us than we have in total savings/retirement now....that's pretty frightening... I didn't give two hoots about paying high taxes when we were "in the money", not one iota, because I felt that I was blessed making the dough we did and thought others might need help and I thought my country, who had allowed my opportunities to get me to where we were, needed the money for our infrastructure to keep it going....more than we did....

(now granted, i was in my late twenties and 30's, didnt think about ever dying or even ever not working or retirement, because I loved my career from head to toe.....

but if you were in the Retail business and wanted someone to make you a few million in extra/additional profit.. in a year or two. I could do it in a heartbeat...

seriously, this was the case...i didn't care about our money, or even know enough to invest in the stock market with any confidence...just didn't have the time for ME, it was too much fun making others, my employers the dough....and getting my pat on the backs and promotions and raises and measly bonus checks compared to what i made them, but all GOOD ENOUGH for me and matt...

Anyway, times change, circumstances changed and here we are, just making it...yet make too much to qualify for any gvt help....with 401k's that lost 40-50%, and our one prize possession in which we paid cash for, our home, dropping in value every minute that ticks on the clock...

sure the civilians were the greedy ones, from people buying homes that were way over their head, and from the stupid, stupid, stupid new, unfettered, poor business practices, of Wall Street.

Anyway, i primarily am telling this story for those of you that are young and climbing the ladder of their own careers or even in a career for the sake of putting food in your mouth...

ALWAYS PREPARE for the future, as though the future will change on you....prepare for the worst, be happy with the best.

START SAVING YOUR MONEY, when you are young... live on a one person salary, even if the other spouce is working and do NOT believe that things will always be good for you...or that you will live, healthy, forever.

So, if matt and I ever get to the stage that we needed gvt help for something, there would be no guilt there, what so ever....they have had several hundred thousand dollars of our money for decades, in all the different taxes we have paid.

care

In other words the government is a safety net for you and they owe you ?

care

As a matter of fact, they would, in Care's case.

People work their whole lives making other people rich, they pay their taxes and they are prodcutive members of this society?

When they get into trouble, of course they deserve help.

care

As a matter of fact, they would, in Care's case.

People work their whole lives making other people rich, they pay their taxes and they are prodcutive members of this society?

When they get into trouble, of course they deserve help.

How much money do you estimate the governement spends on " the people" every day?

care

no, not so much owe...

but, somewhat expected, if I was in temporary dire need....

I have always expected it to be there for those in dire need of temporary assistance, why would that change now?

don't worry, the Lord willing, we will never get low enough to qualify....

but if we ever did, for some unforseen reason, I would NOT think of it as welfare from the government, but a safety net

Care

care

no, not so much owe...

I have always expected it to be there for those in dire need of temporary assistance, why would that change now?

but if we ever did, for some unforseen reason, I would NOT think of it as welfare from the government, but a safety net

Care

I was just curious how much of the tax money that the government collected from you has already spent on services that the governement would claim that you have already received.
for instance---is defense spending or the NASA budget a service that the government has provided for you ?

Once the Democrats took control of Congress, I moved my money out of the stock market. My money is safe for now. On the way to and from work, I pass several Obama supporters sitting on their front porch who obviously don't work. And taxes? I'm already taxed to death supporting the welfare State. I have moved some of my money out of the country. More and more people will do this as long as the Leftists have a stranglehold on the US.

kind of silly... you pulled your money out after it had lost most of its value because of republican policies.

dems always do better with the economy, silly. you should have let it ride.

The Washington Monthly

The numbers don't lie: Democrats are better for the economy than Republicans. - By Michael Kinsley - Slate Magazine

the myth of repubs being good with the economy is just that -- a myth. it should be trashed along with the myth that ronald reagan cut taxes and believed in small government.

I should have let it ride? :lol: Did you mean that as a joke? Here's the DOW for the past 3 years. See anything telling about the market? Anything that 'jumps out' at you?

View attachment $Dow3years.bmp

Okay, so you're wrong about that. That's a given.

And the Democrats don't do better with the economy. That's another myth. Again, the data doesn't support your statement.

There is a natural tendency for people to focus on the party of the president who is in power; but, in fact, the Congress is far more important to markets because it decides how to, and how much to, tax and spend.

Over the last quarter of a century when the Republicans controlled both houses of Congress, the stock market rose by an average of about 20 percent per year. When the Democrats controlled both houses of Congress, the stock market only rose at an average annual rate of 6.9 percent for the Dow Jones and a tepid 5.1 percent for the Standard and Poor 500.

Taking Stock of the Parties

Seriously, your post was a joke, right? Have you decided to start trolling now?

I just had a conversation about this today. Family Dollar, Dollar General and Freds are great buys. Obama's policies will continue to increase the divide between the haves and the have-nots. It's time we got ready.

I've been shopping at the Dollar Store since GWB 1 was in office. Am I a have, or have not I wonder.....................

One of my son's former teachers opened a Dollar Store and is having a great year. Another great business in this economy is selling guns (legally, of course).

Obama - 2008's Gun Salesman of the year

I went to a gun show a couple weeks ago and I've never seen it so busy. Everyone is worried that Obama/Biden/Reid/Pelosi are going to start reversing our 2nd Amendment rights.

no, not so much owe...

Care

I was just curious how much of the tax money that the government collected from you has already spent on services that the governement would claim that you have already received.
for instance---is defense spending or the NASA budget a service that the government has provided for you ?

i dunno?

but that is a good question those on the right should ask of the very wealthiest people some are ALWAYS pawn to, and defending.

care

no, not so much owe...

Care

i dunno?

but that is a good question those on the right should ask of the very wealthiest people some are ALWAYS pawn to, and defending.

care

Why just the right ? Both parties spend tax money like it grows on trees. I assume they think it somehow benefits us. I guess we could divide spending by population and see what they've blown on us per person over the years. I gotta feeeling they would say there isn't anything left over.

One of my son's former teachers opened a Dollar Store and is having a great year. Another great business in this economy is selling guns (legally, of course).

Obama - 2008's Gun Salesman of the year

I went to a gun show a couple weeks ago and I've never seen it so busy. Everyone is worried that Obama/Biden/Reid/Pelosi are going to start reversing our 2nd Amendment rights.

Just think if the Dollar Store sold guns! It would be a win/win for all!

i dunno?

care

Why just the right ? Both parties spend tax money like it grows on trees. I assume they think it somehow benefits us. I guess we could divide spending by population and see what they've blown on us per person over the years. I gotta feeeling they would say there isn't anything left over.

Because several on the 'right" are continually bitching and moaning that the wealthiest pay too much of their income in taxes...why not ask them, what their country gave them in return for it, ALREADY, as you just asked me....?

care

i dunno?

care

Because several on the 'right" are continually bitching and moaning that the wealthiest pay too much of their income in taxes...why not ask them, what their country gave them in return for it, ALREADY, as you just asked me....?

care

I doubt that the percentage of the tax money you contribute is taken into consderation when the bennies are handed out. Tax money spent per person and financial benefits received per person is probably a number that has never been calculated.
Should your benefits be tied directly to the amount you paid in ?

Forum List

Back