Is your house green? It DAMN well better be!!

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
Section 201 of the Waxman-Markey Act calls for the development and adoption by state and local governments of a national energy efficiency code. A summary of the main provisions are as follows:

1. Establishes a “national energy efficiency building code” for residential and commercial buildings, sufficient to meet each of the national building code energy efficiency targets.

2. Sets energy efficiency targets for the national building code: “on the date of enactment of the American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009, 30 percent reduction in energy use relative to a comparable building constructed in compliance with the baseline code…effective January 1, 2014, for residential buildings, and January 1, 2015, for commercial buildings, 50 percent reduction in energy use relative to the baseline code; and…January 1, 2017, for residential buildings, and January 1, 2018, for commercial buildings, and every 3 years thereafter, respectively, through January 1, 2029, and January 1, 2030, 5 percent additional reduction in energy use relative to the baseline code.”
The Green Building Guide to Waxman-Markey | Green Business | Reuters

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9FX1fojAJM]YouTube - Scalise: 'We're Setting Up A Global Warming Gestapo!' (Full)[/ame]

A National Building code based on Ca. another moronic idea from a whole host of moronic ideas comming from congress. This "Change we can believe in" hey it's making a believer out of me. I believe that the "Change" being made is going to accomplish it's mission and thats to put this nation into such a hole it will never get out of it.

I have green shutters...does that count? The brick would look like shit if I painted it green. My yard is green.

I have green shutters...does that count? The brick would look like shit if I painted it green. My yard is green.

what? ... its not that bad!!!
green%2Bpainted%2Bbrick%2Bcarriage%2Bhouse.jpg

guess what people in construction realize this move has been coming...a national building code...there are just too many variations from county to county much less state to state...energy efficent homes are not a bad thing. a national building code insures that the buyer gets the same things from state to state.

a few windows...some tlc....another color...a pitched roof....i see a nice little house there....but the market is too unstable to flip houses

That house in the picture would look pretty good if it was natural brick with some shuttersm thats just an opinion though . Bones, I don't see an issue with standards, however the standards for building in say a hurricane prone area, vs. say an earthquake prone area, and taking an applying in some cases a lower standard for some and higher for others seems rather senseless. I wouldn't not have an issue with standards in materials to make the homes more energy efficient. What I do take issue with is this mandate and penalty part of the section that seems to punish existing homeowners and sets up this national environmental police squad. IMHO this is a classic case of trying to cut out a tumor with a chainsaw which the Govt. is pretty good at.

o you have to grandfather existing homes or sold homes...and let us remember green is not really what we are discussing...green means low water useage...recycled water...esp gray water....solar power, wind or water power....what this is about is more energy standards....

as far as building the same standards on the coast and in earthquake zones...no its impossible...but that would have to be some type of regional zoning...i would love to get off the gird..but it does take money to set it up....

I see it as just an excuse for the idiotic new contractors to tear down all the historical sites and charge to build their new garbage. New architecture seriously sucks and is ugly as hell.

o you have to grandfather existing homes or sold homes...and let us remember green is not really what we are discussing...green means low water useage...recycled water...esp gray water....solar power, wind or water power....what this is about is more energy standards....

as far as building the same standards on the coast and in earthquake zones...no its impossible...but that would have to be some type of regional zoning...i would love to get off the gird..but it does take money to set it up....

I acutally looked into getting Solar for my house because APS puts the wood to you here when it come to billing. However, the costs of Solar even with credits to lower your bills here, would end up being not very cost effective for a long period of time. Wind same thing. From my read of the bill though, they look to impose CA. building codes across the nation and those states that do not comply will automatically be put into complience. This whole bill is a complete wreck from the word go and ripe with political favors and accomplishes nothing except placing an undue burden on the citizens of this country. I am frankly not surprised though given the track record so far of the amazingly moronic legislation comming out of the 111th congress so far.

They will NOT be grandfather Strolling, the Bill states ALL homes and all Businesses must meet the standards by the dates set. And yet the Congress and our President insist it will only cost us a hundred and fifty dollars a year.

I see it as just an excuse for the idiotic new contractors to tear down all the historical sites and charge to build their new garbage. New architecture seriously sucks and is ugly as hell.
some does, some doesnt
if they build to fit some "artistic" challenge, then it most likely will suck
it they build for conservation they can be nice

some does, some doesnt

The newest buildings I have seen locally look like giant gray Lego blocks ...

some does, some doesnt

The newest buildings I have seen locally look like giant gray Lego blocks ...
ugh
that sounds ugly
they must be trying to meet some artistic crap standard

Every house in America should have solar panels instead of roofing tiles.

The decentralization of power is a worthy goal.

Forum List

Back