Is Wearing Blue Jeans Cultural Appropriation?

Meathead

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2012
Prague, Czech Republic
I read someplace today that some Univ. in England decided that Sombreros, of all things, would be considered cultural appropriation and thus prohibited.

Blue jeans, designed by Levi Strauss and Co. in America were the clothes worn by only American farmers and cowboys and clearly a symbol of America. Is this not then cultural appropriation?

Nope

Hasn't been since Brooke Shields met Calvin Klein.

I read someplace today that some Univ. in England decided that Sombreros, of all things, would be considered cultural appropriation and thus prohibited.

Blue jeans, designed by Levi Strauss and Co. in America were the clothes worn by only American farmers and cowboys and clearly a symbol of America. Is this not then cultural appropriation?
Actually Jeans (not called that till much later) were designed for and sold to miners and were not blue. Denim (Serge de Nimes - a French made fabric) was eventually selected by Strauss, a fabric supplier and partner to Jacob Davis the tailor who designed the pants, to deal with the complaint that the sailcloth fabric chaffed in delicate areas.
Davis was a Latvian born immigrant, Strauss was a Jewish-German immigrant.
Just a little history.

Actually Jeans (not called that till much later) were designed for and sold to miners and were not blue. Denim (Serge de Nimes - a French made fabric) was eventually selected by Strauss, a fabric supplier and partner to Jacob Davis the tailor who designed the pants, to deal with the complaint that the sailcloth fabric chaffed in delicate areas.
Just a little history.
Yes, and Pancho Villa was the first person who conceived a wide-brim hat.

Maybe it's better to just shut up if you're just going to spout inanities.

What about black jeans? I wear black more than blue.'

Surely I'm offending someone. I can only hope.

Blacks have white skeletons! I want them spray painted lol

Just a little history.

Wow....... Really?

Just a little history.

Wow....... Really?
Yes, indeed. So shut up if you're going to be a wanker. Damn! I've done it again!

Just a little history.

Wow....... Really?
Yes, indeed. So shut up if you're going to be a wanker. Damn! I've done it again!
I was just adding a dose of history to your diatribe, ya want to be an asshole about it then so be it, no skin off of my nose. A fight and you are not important, I have other fish to fry that are thousands of times more important. Have a nice life. :thup:

Just a little history.

Wow....... Really?
I was just adding a dose of history to your diatribe, ya want to be an asshole about it then so be it, no skin off of my nose. A fight and you are not important, I have other fish to fry that are thousands of times more important. Have a nice life. :thup:
As I said, there are times when one simply must shut up.

Just a little history.

Wow....... Really?
And yet you haven't...... Go figure.

Wow....... Really?
And yet you haven't...... Go figure.
Alas, I see you've learned nothing!

Forum List

Back