Is "We built this city on Rock n Roll" the worst song ever?

I don't remember clicking into this thread --- oh wait it was Oosie who summoned me, and yes I can affirm and attest and all those words that have to do with cojones that she knows her musical shite, and there is no further proof needed than that Jack Bruce hit on her, and he was a musical genius so he would know. :eusa_shifty:

If the question on the floor is something about "worst song ever" especially as regards the 1980s, then surely nothing surpasses for that dubious honour than that abominational bowl of diarrhea pus single by the Buggles. I can't even bring myself to type the name of the revolting piece of filth and if anyone links it I will unsubscribe and by the way even now I'm going :lalala: with a completely unrelated Robben Ford record on so it doesn't earworm its way in.

I don't remember clicking into this thread --- oh wait it was Oosie who summoned me, and yes I can affirm and attest and all those words that have to do with cojones that she knows her musical shite, and there is no further proof needed than that Jack Bruce hit on her, and he was a musical genius so he would know. :eusa_shifty:

If the question on the floor is something about "worst song ever" especially as regards the 1980s, then surely nothing surpasses for that dubious honour than that abominational bowl of diarrhea pus single by the Buggles. I can't even bring myself to type the name of the revolting piece of filth and if anyone links it I will unsubscribe and by the way even now I'm going :lalala: with a completely unrelated Robben Ford record on so it doesn't earworm its way in.
Yes that Buggles song was exceptionally bad, but the slammin video saves it, amiright?

I'm having trouble coming up with a song worse than this one. It is hideous:

Is this '80s No. 1 hit really the 'worst song ever'?

Yes it's nauseating, it must be in the Top 10 worst songs ever.

Grace Slick forevermore has this terrible dirge "We Built This City" on her discography, also her hair was just awful as well.

Aside from the Jefferson Airplane recordings, "Blows Against The Empire" is a great album, released as Paul Kantner and Jefferson Starship in 1970 on RCA Victor Records.

WTF went wrong? They stopped taking drugs that's probably what went wrong.

Blows Against the Empire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Do you know what the difference is between Jefferson Airplane and Jefferson Starship is?

Of course I do, I'm a music journalist afterall, I was just taking the opportunity to say that "Blows Against The Empire" is a good album.

You should check my Music thread, I think my musical knowledge, even if I say so myself is impeachable.

I think Pogo and Coyote can attest to this.

My two most recent posts in my own music thread, to give latest examples of my music knowledge.

What are you listening to?

What are you listening to?
I"m confused.

Being a music journalist means you report on other peoples taste in music. A vast knowledge of music does not equate to you being an expert on taste.

Disco was loved by millions, but it sucked mostly. Taste is an individual thing and no one can really say any one piece of music is worse than another.....with the exception of this one..

:biggrin:

Actually, musically...

... rock n' roll on the west coast...

... was heavily influenced by the San Francisco sound...

... the 'Summer of Love' originated there...

... and the hippie environment of Haight-Ashbury...

... was the center of the 60's flower power movement.

Many popular music groups besides Jefferson Airplane/Starship sprang from SF.

San Francisco Sound
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bands_from_the_San_Francisco_Bay_Area
List of bands from the San Francisco Bay Area

San Francisco Psychedelic Rock

Source: MORE

Last edited:
There are far too many horrible songs out there to pick just one as the worst

If I was going to toss my choice for the worst it would have to be the spittle dripping " We are the World ". I have no problem with the reason for or the artists who sang in the in the worst song ever written...

Yes it's nauseating, it must be in the Top 10 worst songs ever.

Grace Slick forevermore has this terrible dirge "We Built This City" on her discography, also her hair was just awful as well.

Aside from the Jefferson Airplane recordings, "Blows Against The Empire" is a great album, released as Paul Kantner and Jefferson Starship in 1970 on RCA Victor Records.

WTF went wrong? They stopped taking drugs that's probably what went wrong.

Blows Against the Empire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Do you know what the difference is between Jefferson Airplane and Jefferson Starship is?

Of course I do, I'm a music journalist afterall, I was just taking the opportunity to say that "Blows Against The Empire" is a good album.

You should check my Music thread, I think my musical knowledge, even if I say so myself is impeachable.

I think Pogo and Coyote can attest to this.
So what is the difference, ah? A music journalist, weeeell doggies.....

What difference are you meaning, be more specific.

The first difference is that Jefferson Airplane existed from 1965-1972, then two other bands were formed Hot Tuna and Jefferson Starship.
yes but the difference is the lead singers...

Well Jefferson Airplane, the first album "Jefferson Airplane Takes Off" released in 1966 on RCA Victor Records features Signe Toly Anderson, who died this year, also Skip Spence, later of Moby Grape, on the drums.

For "Surrealistic Pillow" released in 1967 on RCA Victor Records, replacing those two were Grace Slick, who was in a group called The Great !! Society !! with her husband Jerry Slick and her brother-in-law Darby Slick.

They recorded the original of "Somebody To Love", although it was titled "Someone To Love" and was released on 7" in 1966 on Northbeach Records the B Side is "Free Advice"

Northbeach Records was a subsidiary of Autumn Records.

Here's the A Side.

R-1813068-1360191935-8800.jpeg.jpg

Here's the B Side.

R-1813068-1268192978.jpeg.jpg

Also replacing Skip Spence on drums was Spencer Dryden, who was the nephew of Charles Chaplin. Spencer Dryden's father, Wheeler Dryden was a Silent Film actor and director.

Wheeler Dryden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If I was going to toss my choice for the worst it would have to be the spittle dripping " We are the World ". I have no problem with the reason for or the artists who sang in the in the worst song ever written...

Again I agree, it's a terrible dirge.

Forum List

Back