Is Utah turning into Saudi Arabia?

High_Gravity

Belligerent Drunk
Nov 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Whats up with all their wierd liquor laws? let the people drink.

No More Happy Hour Ever! How Utah Just Got to Be an Even Drier State

a_utah_liquor_0705.jpg

The sandwich board that sat in front of Jackalope Lounge, a popular Salt Lake City watering hole that sits about a block away from Utah's U.S. District Court, used to advertise a variety of daily specials. The bar hosted "Tequila Tuesdays" and $2.50 tall-can specials on Thursdays. Unfortunately for the patrons of this establishment, and many others across the state of Utah, June 30 was the final day that any establishment serving alcohol was allowed to offer discounted drink specials. Under Utah's SB 314, which Governor Gary Herbert signed into law last March, drink specials are now illegal in the state of Utah.

In addition to eliminating drink specials, SB 314 allows the governor to appoint the chairman of the liquor commission, bans minikegs and ties the number of liquor licenses to population quotas and public-safety officers. The latter part of the law does not go into effect until July 1, 2012, but it will then become even more difficult to obtain a liquor license in Utah. Prior to the passage of SB 314, the state-controlled Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (DABC) requested that Herbert veto the bill, but the appeal was ignored. SB 314 marks the most substantial change to Utah liquor laws in recent years. Across the nation, Utah has a reputation for being a notoriously dry state. Liquor and beer over 4% alcohol by volume have to be purchased at state-owned liquor stores, which are closed on Sundays; any beer sold in a Utah grocery store or gas station must contain only 3.2% alcohol, which is measured by weight and not volume; and, until 2009, if a bar or club sold liquor or beer over 4% they were labeled a private club, requiring would-be patrons to purchase a temporary "membership" card in order to enter the establishment. On July 1, 2009, then governor Jon Huntsman eliminated the private-club requirements, slightly relaxing state liquor laws.

Fed up with being excluded from discussions and ignored by the legislature, on June 30 the Utah Hospitality Association, a Utah nonprofit corporation representing bars, taverns, dining clubs and anyone with "a stake in liquor," which helped eliminate private clubs in 2009, filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court against Utah legislators including Herbert and Attorney General Mark Shurtleff. The lawsuit came the day before the first pieces of the law went into effect in Utah and the last day that Utahns were permitted a discounted drink. "We feel like these laws keep being written for an industry that most legislators don't [know anything] about. They've never even seen the inside of a bar," says Dave Morris, owner of Utah bar Piper Down and a board member of the hospitality association. He was referring to the pious teetotaler reputation of Utah's overwhelmingly Mormon lawmakers. "They won't take any input from us, and as an industry we are ignored and vilified. We'd like to be taken a little more seriously and this [lawsuit] is a way to make [ourselves] a little more known." Kenneth Wynn, who was the director of the DABC for 30 years and is currently a board member of the hospitality association, confirms the sentiment: "We got tired of being walked all over and decided it was time to take a stand."

The lawsuit states that the system of fixed pricing for alcohol under SB 314 is a violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act as it "deprives the benefits of free, open and unrestricted competition in the market" from the plaintiffs. The lawsuit also states that the extreme scarcity of available liquor licenses — which the DABC claimed in its spring 2011 newsletter was zero to one license for every five applicants per month — creates an unreasonable restraint on trade. Wynn says he thinks the failure of the legislature to act on increasing the licenses is "utterly ridiculous." His estimate of the applicants-per-license ratio is much higher than the DABC's. "You go to a commission meeting every month and you'll see anywhere from 15 to 22 applicants applying for a social-club license and there are none available," says Wynn. "The legislature knew that going into the session. The governor knew that going into the session. Yet they just ignored that. Didn't do anything about it."

Read more: Utah: Happy Hour Dries Up as the State Bans Drink Specials - TIME

We have some similar laws here in PA as well. You can only buy liquor in state owned stores (aside from bars and restaurants). And because those stores are closed on Sunday you have to plan ahead, which apparently is too difficult for some people who want the stores opened 7 days a week.

I don't drink very often but the last time I went into one of those places there was a young man and an older woman behind the counter who looked like total burnouts.

After looking around for my favorite beer (Kirin and Sapporo) and not finding it I asked the woman: "You have any Japanese beer?"

She replied "Uh, we have Lowenbrau".

I said "I think that's German beer? Where do you keep your imported stuff?"

"What"?

Yeah I'm not missing happy hour. :lol:

They got polygamy and sand. No camels or oil though.
Polygamy was outlawed by the Mormon Church around 1890. The groups you see calling themselves Mormons and practicing polygamy are not sanctioned by the Church.

I'm not a Mormon but my Dad and his wife are.

We have some similar laws here in PA as well. You can only buy liquor in state owned stores (aside from bars and restaurants). And because those stores are closed on Sunday you have to plan ahead, which apparently is too difficult for some people who want the stores opened 7 days a week.

I don't drink very often but the last time I went into one of those places there was a young man and an older woman behind the counter who looked like total burnouts.

After looking around for my favorite beer (Kirin and Sapporo) and not finding it I asked the woman: "You have any Japanese beer?"

She replied "Uh, we have Lowenbrau".

I said "I think that's German beer? Where do you keep your imported stuff?"

"What"?

Yeah I'm not missing happy hour. :lol:

One thing I liked about being in California, you could find Japanese beer pretty much everywhere and even some Chinese beers, Tsingtao I think. They sell liquor everywhere in Cali, even in Walmart, Foods Co and Target.

Did Utah already adopt Shariah law?

State regulation of alcoholic beverages is permitted under the 21st amendment

"The transportation or importation into any State, Territory, or possession of the United States for delivery or use therein of intoxicating liquors, in violation of the laws thereof, is hereby prohibited."

This has been interpreted as state and county/city control over the ability to sell or buy spirits and beer.

From that you get this:

List of alcohol laws of the United States by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The transportation or importation into any State, Territory, or possession of the United States for delivery or use therein of intoxicating liquors, in violation of the laws thereof, is hereby prohibited."

This has been interpreted as state and county/city control over the ability to sell or buy spirits and beer.

From that you get this:

List of alcohol laws of the United States by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See this is new to me because I lived in Kansas City most of my life and you can pretty much buy alcohol anywhere there, hell they had a drive through liquor store 5 minutes from my house and they actually allowed kids into the local bar to play pool. Its not until I lived in Virginia for a few years that I found out about state run liquor stores (ABC Stores), strict liquor laws and liquor stores closed on Sunday.

From that you get this:

Very true.

Never been skiing there, but other than that, the state doesn't really interest me.

Well, Bryce Canyon is lovely. Been there, done that, though.

Turning?

Utah is one scary place.

you're easily frightened.

massachusetts outlawed happy hour in 1984 under the well known jihadist m. stanley dukakis.

somehow, some way, through sheer grit, determination, and a bred in the bones love of liberty, we still managed to get shitfaced.

true story

Turning?

Utah is one scary place.

massachusetts outlawed happy hour in 1984 under the well known jihadist m. stanley dukakis.

somehow, some way, through sheer grit, determination, and a bred in the bones love of liberty, we still managed to get shitfaced.

true story

:lol:

Why are states "outlawing" happy hour? are women getting butt naked and fucking in public and bar tenders selling cocaine during happy hour? I thought happy hour was just about drink specials?

Turning?

Utah is one scary place.

true story

What? No tissues? How rude.

Sallow is easily scared. A goose once made him cry by sneaking up behind him and shouting 'Boo'.

Forum List

Back