Is Trump's lack of response in Puerto Rico really just "political payback"?

Actually Puerto Ricans are not allowed to vote in the general, only primaries. The citizens of Puerto Rico do not have any voting representation in the US govt., they are not represented in the electoral college and are unable to vote in US presidential elections. Even though the population is greater than 21 of the 50 states and abd Puerto Ricans are over represented in the US military. But such is life in the colonies of the empire. Those born in Ameican Samoa are not even citizens at all.
Last time I heard about it, the Puerto Rican people voted DOWN becoming a state. It's been awhile, that may have changed.
And have they also voted for the economic exploitation?

The United States acquired the islands of Puerto Rico in 1898 after the Spanish–American War. In 1950, Congress enacted legislation (P.L. 81-600) authorizing Puerto Rico to hold a constitutional convention and in 1952, the people of Puerto Rico ratified a constitution establishing a republican form of government for the island. After being approved by Congress and the President in July 1952 and thus given force under federal law (P.L. 82-447), the new constitution went into effect on July 25, 1952.

Puerto Rico has been under U.S. sovereignty for over a century and
Puerto Ricans have been U.S. citizens since 1917.[11][12][13] Since the promulgation of the current Commonwealth constitution in 1952, further local attempts to change the island's political status took place in 1967, 1993, and 1998. An additional referendum held in 1991 sought to amend the relationship through an amendment to the Puerto Rican constitution. Each time, the results favored retaining the current status over the possible independence of Puerto Rico and statehood alternatives.

As a result of Puerto Rico's status as a
U.S. territory, the citizens of Puerto Rico do not have any voting representation in the U.S. Federal government. Instead of outright representation through Senators and House Representatives, Puerto Rico has one non-voting Resident Commissioner in the House of Representatives. Furthermore, Puerto Rico is not represented in the Electoral College, and thus U.S. citizens resident there are unable to vote in U.S. presidential elections. Citizens of Puerto Rico can vote in the Republican and Democratic primary elections.

Although Puerto Rico presently has a certain amount of local autonomy, according to the
U.S. Constitution ultimate governance of the island is retained by both the U.S. Congress and President.[14][15][16] Thus, results of plebiscites, whether or not authorized by Congress, while they reflect public sentiment, and thus bear some impact, can be ignored by Congress. Ultimately, the results of Puerto Rican plebiscites are opinions, although congressional resolutions have expressed support for following the will of the Puerto Rican people.
Political status of Puerto Rico - Wikipedia

Is that how a US "territory" becomes a state? They just vote amongst themselves and they're in? I'm a bit surprised you play this off, but ok.
Well, until Puerto Ricans' plebiscite votes to become a state, I guess that's an open question. If the Congress is as good as their word, they will follow the will of the people. Maybe someday they'll decide to go on their own.
While we invade others for doing the same.

Last time I heard about it, the Puerto Rican people voted DOWN becoming a state. It's been awhile, that may have changed.

The United States acquired the islands of Puerto Rico in 1898 after the Spanish–American War. In 1950, Congress enacted legislation (P.L. 81-600) authorizing Puerto Rico to hold a constitutional convention and in 1952, the people of Puerto Rico ratified a constitution establishing a republican form of government for the island. After being approved by Congress and the President in July 1952 and thus given force under federal law (P.L. 82-447), the new constitution went into effect on July 25, 1952.

Puerto Ricans have been U.S. citizens since 1917.[11][12][13] Since the promulgation of the current Commonwealth constitution in 1952, further local attempts to change the island's political status took place in 1967, 1993, and 1998. An additional referendum held in 1991 sought to amend the relationship through an amendment to the Puerto Rican constitution. Each time, the results favored retaining the current status over the possible independence of Puerto Rico and statehood alternatives.

U.S. territory, the citizens of Puerto Rico do not have any voting representation in the U.S. Federal government. Instead of outright representation through Senators and House Representatives, Puerto Rico has one non-voting Resident Commissioner in the House of Representatives. Furthermore, Puerto Rico is not represented in the Electoral College, and thus U.S. citizens resident there are unable to vote in U.S. presidential elections. Citizens of Puerto Rico can vote in the Republican and Democratic primary elections.

Although Puerto Rico presently has a certain amount of local autonomy, according to the
U.S. Constitution ultimate governance of the island is retained by both the U.S. Congress and President.[14][15][16] Thus, results of plebiscites, whether or not authorized by Congress, while they reflect public sentiment, and thus bear some impact, can be ignored by Congress. Ultimately, the results of Puerto Rican plebiscites are opinions, although congressional resolutions have expressed support for following the will of the Puerto Rican people.

Is that how a US "territory" becomes a state? They just vote amongst themselves and they're in? I'm a bit surprised you play this off, but ok.
Well, until Puerto Ricans' plebiscite votes to become a state, I guess that's an open question. If the Congress is as good as their word, they will follow the will of the people. Maybe someday they'll decide to go on their own.
Puerto Rican status referendum, 2017 - Wikipedia
They did a few months ago. It has to be okd by congress and the president
Which i hope they dont.
Got it, you prefer the empire retain them as a colony.
I dont give a shit what they do, really. Just as long as it doesnt become a state.
Of course. Like Guam, American Samoa and all the others. We spread freedom and democracy around the world.

Which i hope they dont.
Territory.
Semantics.

Why isn’t Trump rushing to help Puerto Rico’s U.S. citizens? Political payback

Yes, Maria is Trump’s Katrina.

He’s shown the same level of ineffectiveness as George W. Bush in responding to the devastation of black and poor New Orleans.

Nine months into his presidency, President Trump doesn’t get it: He now represents everyone — and that includes Puerto Ricans, on the mainland and on the island.

Perhaps, in the aftermath of Irma and Maria, Puerto Ricans will become climate-change refugees. They’d do well to move to Florida — and exercise their right to vote in a swing state.

Perhaps that’s the only way for Puerto Rico to obtain all that it deserves, instead of the second-class citizen status that comes with being an American colony under Trump.

-----------------

His golf course went belly up in Puerto Rico.

72% voted for Hillary Clinton.

We already know how thin skinned he is.

He said Puerto Ricans are lazy and not pulling their own weight.

FEMA Administrator Disagrees With Trump: ‘I Believe the Puerto Ricans Are Pulling Their Weight’

Lt. General Russel Honore outlined a plan to help Puerto Rico and even Republicans right here on the USMB laughed at it. And he was the guy who saved New Orleans after the Katrina debacle.

I wonder how many more Puerto Rican's will die before this is over?
Good point. Everyone better vote for Republicans from now on or else you'll find a horse head in your bed.
Oh, they'll do that anyway.
Remember what they did to the country under Bush.

Now they want to take away healthcare from millions, tax cuts for billionaires, cut food stamps, they want gun silencers for quiet murder, they think Nazi's are "good people", they support the murder of unarmed blacks.

What is it they wouldn't do? Besides actually help Americans I mean?

Which i hope they dont.
I dont give a shit what they do, really. Just as long as it doesnt become a state.
Of course. Like Guam, American Samoa and all the others. We spread freedom and democracy around the world.
Im not going to argue with where you are going. I have just as much faith in the govt as you do.

Which i hope they dont.
Territory.
Semantics.
Puerto Rico wasn't settled by people from here as far as I know. But I don't know that much about their history. I just know they are American citizens and they are suffering.

Which i hope they dont.
Im not going to argue with where you are going. I have just as much faith in the govt as you do.
I have faith in the government when Republicans aren't running it.
Look at what they did under Bush.
Look at what they are doing under Trump.
These are some evil, racist and greedy people.

Which i hope they dont.
I don't know we spread it as much as support it.
Do you prefer Isis or Russia?

Which i hope they dont.
shut up dummy

shut up dummy
Don't want to hear the truth? Why not? Be proud. Accept who the GOP is. Judge them by their actions. If you approve of their actions, then be proud.

Are you watching Trump?

No one has ever seen water like that.

shut up dummy
Don't want to hear the truth? Why not? Be proud. Accept who the GOP is.
I accept they are greedy assholes that dont give two shits about us.
The difference is, i dont pretend one party isnt that way. Your hackery isnt worthy of a decent discussion.

He’s shown the same level of ineffectiveness as George W. Bush in responding to the devastation of black and poor New Orleans.

Nine months into his presidency, President Trump doesn’t get it: He now represents everyone — and that includes Puerto Ricans, on the mainland and on the island.

Perhaps, in the aftermath of Irma and Maria, Puerto Ricans will become climate-change refugees. They’d do well to move to Florida — and exercise their right to vote in a swing state.

Perhaps that’s the only way for Puerto Rico to obtain all that it deserves, instead of the second-class citizen status that comes with being an American colony under Trump.

-----------------

FEMA Administrator Disagrees With Trump: ‘I Believe the Puerto Ricans Are Pulling Their Weight’

Lt. General Russel Honore outlined a plan to help Puerto Rico and even Republicans right here on the USMB laughed at it. And he was the guy who saved New Orleans after the Katrina debacle.

Things are very slowly, incrementally, finally getting better and I hope no one else will die. Maria was not Trump's fault. Everyone over there, from FEMA to the General are saying it is the worst situation they've ever had to deal with. How to you drive anything over washed out roads and bridges that are no longer there? How do you find out who needs help when there are no phones or radios working to the outlying areas? Maybe they could have done better getting fuel into the island to keep the hospitals running, get more of the gas stations up, banks, etc. But that's for a later time to analyze. Trump sent the regular amount of aid one would send to a disaster area and it wasn't enough. He couldn't know that when this started. The Trump haters are circling and taking bites out of his hide, per usual. His tweets sucked. I'll give you that. But the rest? He didn't ignore them.

Don't waste your time trying to be rational with a political hack.

Liberals can't understand why electricity, gas, food and water wasn't delivered to each and every of the 3.4 million citizens in Puerto Rico the day after the hurricane. Meanwhile, when Obama was President my community of far less citizens on the mainland US East Coast was without electricity and gas for a week after only a tropical storm. That wasn't Obama's fault as this is not Trump's fault. There's only so much the Federal Government can do. Stop playing politics Liberals and try helping out.

-----------------

Good point. Everyone better vote for Republicans from now on or else you'll find a horse head in your bed.

Now they want to take away healthcare from millions, tax cuts for billionaires, cut food stamps, they want gun silencers for quiet murder, they think Nazi's are "good people", they support the murder of unarmed blacks.

Bazzilions of kids dying in the streets!

Trump has photo op with family. Asks if they ever seen anything like this. They said no. They said they haven't had power since Irma.

When Trump leaves, he tells them "Have a good time".

No sh!t. It was on TV live.

He is walking along a street where all the houses are made from concrete. Except for few downed trees, you would never guess they had a hurricane. He asked a guy if his house rattled and the guy said no. My house is made from concrete.

Think he will go anyplace where there is REAL damage?

Guess we'll see.

-----------------

Which makes Republicans celebrate. They find happiness in the strangest things.

-----------------

You forgot the puppies! Republicans kill puppies!

Presidential Candiate Mike Huckabee's Son David Tortured and Killed Stray Dog in 1998, Charges Never Filed and Huckabee Not Punished

-----------------

You forgot the puppies! Republicans kill puppies!
True:

Presidential Candiate Mike Huckabee's Son David Tortured and Killed Stray Dog in 1998, Charges Never Filed and Huckabee Not Punished

Romney: Dog 'enjoyed' riding on car roof

Forum List

Back