CDZ Is Trump more like Grant, Sherman or Churchill?

Is President Trump more like.....

• General Grant

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • General Sherman

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Winston Churchill

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
So.....Because of the reaction to Trump from the left and the establishment republicans, it reminded me of the story Hugh Hewitt told about President Lincoln when he was told by establisment republican politicians and generals that he needed to get rid of General Grant. These establishment types didn't like Grant, he was not dignified, he drank too much, was a messy dresser....but he knew how to fight the war.....and Lincoln replied to these requests....I can't lose this man, he fights.....

Churchill....another guy that the left wingers and establisment types couldn't stand.....but he knew how to fight.....

So...who is Trump more like....Churchill, Grant or even General Sherman....?

Victor Davis Hanson - Civilization's 'Darkest Hour'

Chamberlain and senior conservative politician Edward Wood both considered Churchill unhinged for believing Britain could survive.

The Bigmouth Tradition of American Leadership

Grant/Sherman

Both Ulysses S. Grant and William Tecumseh Sherman were military geniuses. Grant was quiet and reflective — at least in his public persona, which gave scant hint that he struggled with alcohol and often displayed poor judgement about those who surrounded him. Sherman was loud. He was often petty, and certainly ready in a heartbeat to engage in frequent feuds, many of them cul de sacs and counter-productive. Sherman threatened to imprison or even hang critical journalists and waged a bitter feud with the secretary of war, Edwin Stanton. Too few, then or now, have appreciated that the uncouth Sherman, in fact, displayed both a prescient genius and an uncanny understanding of human nature. Whereas Grant could brilliantly envision how his armies might beat the enemy along a battle line or capture a key fortress or open a river, Sherman’s insight encompassed whole regions and theaters, in calibrating how both economics and sociology might mesh with military strategy to crush an entire people. For all of Grant’s purported drinking and naïveté about the scoundrels around him, his outward professional bearing, his understated appearance of steadiness and discretion, enhanced his well-earned reputation for masterful control in times of crises. The volatile and loquacious nature of Sherman, in contrast, often hid and diminished appreciation of his talents — in some ways greater than Grant’s. To the stranger, Grant would have seemed the less likely to have had too much to drink and smoked too many daily cigars, Sherman the more prone to all sorts of such addictions.

Read more at: The Bigmouth Tradition of American Leadership

Trump: The Unlikeliest Churchillian

Chamberlain resigned, and Churchill accepted King George VI's appointment to the position of prime minister, but the king, and both parties of Parliament, loathed Churchill.

------

To the horror of our 2016 establishment, Donald Trump was elected. He has been as loathed as Churchill was when he took on the P.M. job as the catastrophe at Dunkirk was unfolding. Like Churchill, Trump is a bit reckless with his opinions and his speech. Churchill regularly offended people on both sides of the political spectrum, as does Trump. Churchill was innovative, imaginative. He devised the civilian boat rescue of all those soldiers at Dunkirk. It worked. Trump has, in a year, defeated ISIS, although the media are loath to report that. Trump has revitalized the economy beyond anything Obama was able to do. He has successfully rolled back the restrictive regulations Obama put in place that have strangled the economy and suppressed GDP growth to 2% for eight years.

Last edited:
Sherman on steroids and amphetamines.
Nah he's on the opposing side that Sherman fought against

Trump is not for slavery nor leaving the Union.

Try to be less bat shit crazy.
Sherman on steroids and amphetamines.
Nah he's on the opposing side that Sherman fought against

Trump is not for slavery nor leaving the Union.

Try to be less bat shit crazy.
not possible TOS lost his brains in the wash years ago.

Churchill, like Trump, was a dedicated nationalist who refused to ever back down or surrender when in a fight.

Grant and Trump share the attribute of having a grand vision of how to accomplish their long range goals for the future and effectively carry them out.

Trump is most like Sherman, a hard charger with a take no prisoners attitude. .... :cool:

I'm fairly certain that Churchill never described the Nazis as "very fine people". So... there's that.

I'm fairly certain that Churchill never described the Nazis as "very fine people". So... there's that.

Neither did Trump.

Back up your claim or admit you are a liar.

I didn't mention Rump --- you did. Therefore only you can be a liar. That is, of course, pending refutation.

And here it is now. You're welcome. Yeah he also said "the press has treated them very unfairly" .

But of course the comparison is not quite fair, since Nazis did not exist in Grant's and Sherman's time so they could not have opined on them. So to balance the comment I would venture to say that neither Grant nor Sherman ever said "Black guys counting my money --- I hate it. The only people I want counting my money are short guys that wear yarmulkes every day".

Although I suppose either of them might have said, "they don't look like Indians to me, and they don't look like Indians to Indians" .

Neither did Trump.

Back up your claim or admit you are a liar.

I didn't mention Rump --- you did. Therefore only you can be a liar. That is, of course, pending refutation.

And here it is now. You're welcome. Yeah he also said "the press has treated them very unfairly" .

But of course the comparison is not quite fair, since Nazis did not exist in Grant's and Sherman's time so they could not have opined on them. So to balance the comment I would venture to say that neither Grant nor Sherman ever said "Black guys counting my money --- I hate it. The only people I want counting my money are short guys that wear yarmulkes every day".

Although I suppose either of them might have said, "they don't look like Indians to me, and they don't look like Indians to Indians" .

Trump didn't say anything about nazis being fine people...he did say that there were good people on both sides of the issue of removing Confederate statues...but thank you for lying....

So.....Because of the reaction to Trump from the left and the establishment republicans, it reminded me of the story Hugh Hewitt told about President Lincoln when he was told by establisment republican politicians and generals that he needed to get rid of General Grant. These establishment types didn't like Grant, he was not dignified, he drank too much, was a messy dresser....but he knew how to fight the war.....and Lincoln replied to these requests....I can't lose this man, he fights.....

Churchill....another guy that the left wingers and establisment types couldn't stand.....but he knew how to fight.....

Chamberlain and senior conservative politician Edward Wood both considered Churchill unhinged for believing Britain could survive.

Grant/Sherman

Both Ulysses S. Grant and William Tecumseh Sherman were military geniuses. Grant was quiet and reflective — at least in his public persona, which gave scant hint that he struggled with alcohol and often displayed poor judgement about those who surrounded him. Sherman was loud. He was often petty, and certainly ready in a heartbeat to engage in frequent feuds, many of them cul de sacs and counter-productive. Sherman threatened to imprison or even hang critical journalists and waged a bitter feud with the secretary of war, Edwin Stanton. Too few, then or now, have appreciated that the uncouth Sherman, in fact, displayed both a prescient genius and an uncanny understanding of human nature. Whereas Grant could brilliantly envision how his armies might beat the enemy along a battle line or capture a key fortress or open a river, Sherman’s insight encompassed whole regions and theaters, in calibrating how both economics and sociology might mesh with military strategy to crush an entire people. For all of Grant’s purported drinking and naïveté about the scoundrels around him, his outward professional bearing, his understated appearance of steadiness and discretion, enhanced his well-earned reputation for masterful control in times of crises. The volatile and loquacious nature of Sherman, in contrast, often hid and diminished appreciation of his talents — in some ways greater than Grant’s. To the stranger, Grant would have seemed the less likely to have had too much to drink and smoked too many daily cigars, Sherman the more prone to all sorts of such addictions.

Chamberlain resigned, and Churchill accepted King George VI's appointment to the position of prime minister, but the king, and both parties of Parliament, loathed Churchill.

------

To the horror of our 2016 establishment, Donald Trump was elected. He has been as loathed as Churchill was when he took on the P.M. job as the catastrophe at Dunkirk was unfolding. Like Churchill, Trump is a bit reckless with his opinions and his speech. Churchill regularly offended people on both sides of the political spectrum, as does Trump. Churchill was innovative, imaginative. He devised the civilian boat rescue of all those soldiers at Dunkirk. It worked. Trump has, in a year, defeated ISIS, although the media are loath to report that. Trump has revitalized the economy beyond anything Obama was able to do. He has successfully rolled back the restrictive regulations Obama put in place that have strangled the economy and suppressed GDP growth to 2% for eight years.

So far I haven't seen any indication that Trump has the intelligence or balls of any of them.

Grant/Sherman

------

So far I haven't seen any indication that Trump has the intelligence or balls of any of them.

Except for everything he has done so far....you mean except for that...right?

Forum List

Back