Is Trump Invigorating the Religious Right?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
This is a very interesting article on the subject. I keep reading that fewer Americans are describing themselves as religious. Yet, everywhere I go, I see one church after another that all have full parking lots on Sundays and other religious holidays.

Every few years, a political pundit comes along and proclaims that the Religious Right is dead or on the verge of dying. I started working at Americans United in 1987 and have heard it proclaimed many times over nearly three decades.

The latest theory goes like this: Donald Trump is such a divisive figure that he has split the Religious Right. The movement won't recover from his candidacy.

I disagree. From where I'm sitting, it looks like the Religious Right is lining up behind Trump. Some groups and leaders may not be happy about it, but the thought of Hillary Clinton, whom they loathe, occupying the White House has sealed right-wing evangelicals' fealty to the real estate mogul and reality TV figure.

Story w/video @ Bilgrimage: More on the Claim That Religious Right Is Waning, as Evidence Mounts of Massive White Evangelical Support for Donald Trump

If Trump is gaining support among the Religious Right" one has to wonder: what is a three time divorcee doing to win the support of the righteous moralists?

For years now the righteous have complained about a coarsening of the culture, decadence and immorality among the governing class. Bill Clinton's peccadilloes made for a prime target. Is there a willful hypocrisy at work here? Or are the morals championed by the righteous right flexible enough to accommodate a character like Trump?

And if those morals are just that flexible, should we be concerned at all with the constant complaints of the righteous? Are they selling out for political expediency? And does such a sell out mean they have also sold out their credibility?

That would be the height of hypocrisy. Trump has led a life of immorality, lack of character, lack of integrity, dishonesty, cheating, and infidelity. Christians and anyone who has any level of self-respect and sense of personal integrity should vehemently oppose this sad excuse for a man.

That would be the height of hypocrisy. Trump has led a life of immorality, lack of character, lack of integrity, dishonesty, cheating, and infidelity.
He is an angel compared to the degenerate Clintons lol.

Forum List

Back