Is Tina Brown serious about Newsweek anymore?

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010

Yesterday, my colleague Joe Pompeo called up Newsweek to ask whether the company was planning to issue any corrections or clarifications of Niall Ferguson's cover story, "Hit the Road Barack," in which countless manipulations and outright misrepresentations are marshaled in favor of an argument against Barack Obama's reelection.

Newsweek issued him the same statement they've been issuing everyone, without elaboration: "Niall Ferguson has responded to Paul Krugman’s critique. Newsweek continues to monitor the debate."

Make no mistake about what is happening here. Tina Brown is dressing up Ferguson's failure as a provocation and conversation-starter. The problem is that this is not the kind of conversation Brown means to start.

Brown's theory of buzz has been expounded at such length over the years that to hear it again or describe it again would just feel like a PCP hangover. The point is that Brown wants her magazine to be talked about.

*snip*

In fact the reactions are, in the majority, blistering and critical. Some words in the headlines responding to Ferguson's piece, and his later, pissy defense of it: "unethical," "lies," "embarrassing," "ridiculous," "absurd," "very bad."

The defenses of the piece are hardly even defenses, and come from corners of the web, with the exception of Forbes, that can scarcely comfort Brown: Hotair.com, American Thinker.

The negative reviews are from The Atlantic, The New York Times, Slate, Business Insider, and Politico, among others.

*snip*

I believe Tina baby is trying to be sensational in order to create buzz so people will buy her rag, thus the Obama cover story in the aftermath of the Romney one recently.

Since it was sold for one lousy dollar, plus taking over its mountain of debt, and the hack Ms. Brown put in charge, it's become more like People than a serious news magazine. Most issues are seriously thin of pages, and I suspect it won't be very long before we hear of its demise. And good riddance to that.

Newsweek was a serious magazine when it put a halo around obama's head. Take away the halo, not so much.

Yesterday, my colleague Joe Pompeo called up Newsweek to ask whether the company was planning to issue any corrections or clarifications of Niall Ferguson's cover story, "Hit the Road Barack," in which countless manipulations and outright misrepresentations are marshaled in favor of an argument against Barack Obama's reelection.

Newsweek issued him the same statement they've been issuing everyone, without elaboration: "Niall Ferguson has responded to Paul Krugman’s critique. Newsweek continues to monitor the debate."

Make no mistake about what is happening here. Tina Brown is dressing up Ferguson's failure as a provocation and conversation-starter. The problem is that this is not the kind of conversation Brown means to start.

Brown's theory of buzz has been expounded at such length over the years that to hear it again or describe it again would just feel like a PCP hangover. The point is that Brown wants her magazine to be talked about.

*snip*

In fact the reactions are, in the majority, blistering and critical. Some words in the headlines responding to Ferguson's piece, and his later, pissy defense of it: "unethical," "lies," "embarrassing," "ridiculous," "absurd," "very bad."

The defenses of the piece are hardly even defenses, and come from corners of the web, with the exception of Forbes, that can scarcely comfort Brown: Hotair.com, American Thinker.

The negative reviews are from The Atlantic, The New York Times, Slate, Business Insider, and Politico, among others.

*snip*
I'm very surprised of Tina, I guess this totally puts her in the column of the "Morning Joe" set...totally fake and desperate. It saddens me to see she's fully comfortable in being one of those fair weather liberals who will do and say anything to placate the so-called desired RW in viewership/readership, failing to provide a service to neither.

All I can say is WoW!!

*SMH*

Forum List

Back