Is time travel ethical?

the Doctor says as long as you dont interfere and change things time travel is cool....

But, if you change things, when you get back to your time then that's the way things have always been.
So really, nothing has changed and your actions were just part of history.
So maybe ethics don't come into it at all.

and if something important did not happen because of what you did.....like maybe the allies losing WW2 and Hitler ruling the world?....OR something very important in your life....what then?....

But that would be the way that it's always been - it would be the history of the world.
Nothing would actually have been changed for anybody except the person that made the changes.

As I said earlier, how do we know that time hasn't already been tinkered with by someone from the future...maybe a million years into the future?

But, if you change things, when you get back to your time then that's the way things have always been.
So really, nothing has changed and your actions were just part of history.
So maybe ethics don't come into it at all.

and if something important did not happen because of what you did.....like maybe the allies losing WW2 and Hitler ruling the world?....OR something very important in your life....what then?....

But that would be the way that it's always been - it would be the history of the world.
Nothing would actually have been changed for anybody except the person that made the changes.

As I said earlier, how do we know that time hasn't already been tinkered with by someone from the future...maybe a million years into the future?
but if you remember those changes.....say your family no longer exists as you knew it.......say a child who no longer existed.......would there not be a little bit of pain there?

but if you remember those changes.....say your family no longer exists as you knew it.......say a child who no longer existed.......would there not be a little bit of pain there?

Yep, but you've caused it to yourself, those people never existed as you remember them, so is it technically self-inflicted?
You're the only one affected.
Everyone else has only existed and experienced and lived in the world as it now is.

No actual change has taken place, history and the world have taken the path they have, that's all.

I was thinking whether if one could travel back in time and change certain instances in their life which caused them future distress would that be ethical? I say this because I wonder whether prevention of the inevitable (whether its a direct or indirect cause of misfortune) would be ethical in the sense that we are trying to prevent future pain.

For example, I was thinking if I could go back in time and warn my mother to get an early breast examination, and she did and caught breast cancer early would she be alive today, and if so, would he death somehow come in another form? What do you guys think about time travel and ethics?

sure, why not.

I have always wondered if time travel exist and the person decided to visit the past historical Jesus would Jesus know the person visiting him is from the future? And if not then would Jesus' lack of foreknowledge change Christianity?

Last edited:
I have always wondered if time travel exist and the person decided to visit the past historical Jesus would Jesus know the person visiting him is from the future? And if not then would Jesus' lack of foreknowledge change Christianity?

I don't think Jesus was christian back then, I think he was more about bucking the system and believed that God loved everyone regardless of man made religious rules.

I don't think Jesus was christian back then, I think he was more about bucking the system and believed that God loved everyone regardless of man made religious rules.

Yea I know I was just saying.

Yea I know I was just saying.

I think Jesus would be disappointed in the christian religion.

Because I think he was trying to abolish religion and wanted people to work out their own salvation, be spiritual without the confines of human rules teling you your relationship to God.

Interesting....I've heard Jews say Jesus was a "liberal rabbi" so I think you're on to something.

I don't think he was a rabbi, because he broke all the rules they implemented back in those days.

I think he was more like a buddhist.

I was thinking whether if one could travel back in time and change certain instances in their life which caused them future distress would that be ethical? I say this because I wonder whether prevention of the inevitable (whether its a direct or indirect cause of misfortune) would be ethical in the sense that we are trying to prevent future pain.

For example, I was thinking if I could go back in time and warn my mother to get an early breast examination, and she did and caught breast cancer early would she be alive today, and if so, would he death somehow come in another form? What do you guys think about time travel and ethics?

What difference would it make? I visited my 100 year old mother yesterday and she doesn't know Wednesday from Sunday. Dying is something we all have to do....and unlike others I believe dead is dead. I'd rather be run over by a Mack truck than lay around incapacitated for years dependent upon others.

You could travel back in time and kill Jesus before he became a legend.
I would think that as anti-religion as you are, that would make you proud.

Forum List

Back