Is this what we have come to?

Despite determined efforts to turn this thread to refugees and illegal immigrants for some reason, I return to the OP's point:
She couldn't find a place to live because she couldn't find a job and the shelter was either full up or she had been staying there more than the "thirty days" many shelters have as a cap for services.

In my state, homeless shelters are few and far between and have been filled beyond capacity for the past four years, anyway. I live in a county that doesn't even have one. For awhile I was doing release planning with inmates leaving prison, and for those with no place to go, it was a nightmare. Back before the Crash, or maybe before the Republican governor--not sure which--inmates could apply for a program that helped them pay for their apartment the first couple months, so they would have a place to live while they established a steady job. It went the way of the dodo bird. Why should anyone spend money on someone who once broke the law, anyway? Pay now or pay later, I say. You want to keep people acting lawful, you gotta give 'em a chance. Not just $50 cash, a bus ticket home and the address of the nearest homeless shelter where you may or may not get a bed.

The community action folks have been trying to get a homeless shelter here for years. Funds, red tape, regulations and finding a place that residents will accept have been consistent barriers.

A lot of posters are saying we should be putting our money toward these projects rather than toward refugees, but if that were true, wouldn't we already be addressing those problems? Do they really think $ spent on immigrants and refugees is the reason the homeless and ex-felons and the mentally ill are not being "cared for" ????
It's because no one gives a shit about them.

According to the authorities quoted by the Associated Press, Thompson had just minutes earlier shown a teller a cardboard note saying: “I have a gun. Give me all your money.” The teller handed over everything she had: $16,300, according to KGWN. At that point, Thompson reportedly took the loot, went into the parking lot and tossed the money into the air, handing out some to customers and passersby.

And instead of making a getaway, she sat down and awaited police. The reason, according to court records: Thompson said a homeless shelter had turned her away, and that she no longer felt safe to stay on the streets. She said she had suffered facial fractures after strangers beat her at Martin Luther King, Jr. Park the previous weekend.
Woman allegedly robbed Wyo. bank so she could return to prison
Transgender woman robs bank, hands out cash, so she can return to jail

To be clear, Thompson didn't say"Things were easier, I want to go to prison," She said, "No one will give me a job. No one will give me a safe place to sleep. And, now I have been neaten up just for being who I am. Please send me back to jail, because I was safer there." Not she was "more comfortable", but she was "SAFER"

So, just how bad it that a person feels safer in prison, than out in the real world? The irony is the bank recovered every single dollar. So, technically, she didn't even rob anyone.

What has the world come to is a good question. Your last sentence says it all. That you believe she didn't rob anything because it was all returned is what's wrong. When someone takes something that doesn't belong to them, that's stealing, robbing, or whatever term you want to use denoting an illegal act. Whether or not the person from whom it was unlawfully taken gets it back doesn't change the fact that they were robbed.

If HE would spend half as much time trying to better HIMSELF as HE did making excuses, HE would have a job. Note the GIVE ME statements HE made.

New Topics

Forum List

Back