is this what we can expect from a GOP majority?

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/stories/G/GENITAL_PIERCINGS?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=ENTERTAINMENT

Georgia House Bans Genital Piercings

ATLANTA (AP) -- Genital piercings for women were banned by the Georgia House Wednesday as lawmakers considered a bill outlining punishments for female genital mutilation.

The bill would make such mutilation punishable by two to 20 years in prison. It makes no exception for people who give consent to have the procedure performed on their daughters out of religious or cultural custom.

An amendment adopted without objection added "piercing" to the list of things that may not be done to female genitals. Even adult women would not be allowed to get the procedure. The bill eventually passed 160-0, with no debate.

Amendment sponsor Rep. Bill Heath, R-Bremen, was slack-jawed when told after the vote that some adults seek the piercings.

"What? I've never seen such a thing," Heath said. "I, uh, I wouldn't approve of anyone doing it. I don't think that's an appropriate thing to be doing."

The ban applies only to women, not men. The bill has already been approved by the Senate but now must return to that chamber because of the piercing amendment. Both chambers of the Legislature must agree on a single version of a bill before it can go to the governor for final approval.

Well, I don't think kids should be getting any kind of piercings below the belt, but adults can do whatever they want. But then, there are some really messed up adults out there. Case in point, this guy:

http://www.vanishingtattoo.com/tattoo/celeb-cat_man.htm

I saw this guy interviewed on the discovery channel and I really had trouble believing that he wasn't totally off his rocker.

That said, as long as you can prove you are sane, and of age to make decisions for yourself (19), whatever. Don't be such an ashcroft. But it isn't the enforcement that makes me angry, (they'll never be able to enforce it). It's that we're wasting taxpayer money on lightbulbs for such a silly issue.

OK,
some people on the right are just a little wacko, it'll never be held up constitutionally, at least it shouldn't.

I sure hope thats just face paint.

Do you really need to make a law to prevent guys from sticking sharp objects into their genitals?

Originally posted by Avatar4321
I sure hope thats just face paint.

Do you really need to make a law to prevent guys from sticking sharp objects into their genitals?

Did you read the entire article? this outlaws just WOMEN, and its also punishable with prison. ANY piercings, at all.

I don't, but some people like that kind of thing.

I don't agree with that - just women or women and men. At the end of the day if you want to mutilate yourself than go for it - just don't come crying to me when you end up with a blood disease. - That did happen in England, from certain body peircing a woman died of blood disease..but at the end of the day it was her choice.

It seems obvious that additional debate/revision is required as the quote clearly indicates that most voters never considered that piercing (a last minute addition to the bill) could ever be consensual.

Their rush to prevent further harm led them to pass the law without, I believe, appropriate consideration for the adults in society who would want to pierce...but let's not damn the people who voted (apparently all of them!) for their intent, after all, is to prevent harm to women. That is a noble goal which should be applauded.

I wonder if this will actually be enforced. Its hard to believe that no one voted against the bill, I guess there is no one with commen sense in the Georgia House.

Forum List

Back