Is This What Deflation Looks Like?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Return to $1 gas? Energy prices evaporate - Yahoo! Finance

Return to $1 gas? Energy prices evaporate
Collapsing oil prices bring back the unthinkable: Could gas fall below a $1 a gallon?

Mark Williams, AP Energy Writer
Friday December 5, 2008, 8:25 pm EST
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Oil prices hit four-year lows Friday as employers cut the highest number of jobs in 34 years. The continuing decline in prices is so dramatic and so sudden that it is raising the prospect that gas prices could soon fall below $1 a gallon.

The worst jobs data in 34 years on Friday just added more fuel to the deepening global recession as U.S. employers slashed a far worse-than-expected 533,000 jobs in November and the unemployment rate rose to a 15-year high of 6.7 percent.

A gallon of gasoline can be had for 50 cents less than it cost just last month, and people are starting to talk about $1 gas.

Granted, gas prices are a long way off from that magic number last seen in March 1999 when prices were at 97 cents a gallon, according to motor club AAA. Prices at the pump fell 1.6 cents overnight to $1.773 nationally, according to AAA, the Oil Price Information Service and Wright Express.

But consider what has happened since July 11 when a barrel of oil hit a record $147.27 and a gallon of gas was $4.117 on July 17. In less than five months, oil has fallen 72 percent.

Just this week, in which the National Bureau of Economic Research determined that the U.S. is in recession, oil has fallen 25 percent.

On Friday, light, sweet crude for January delivery settled at $40.81 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange, down by nearly $3 per barrel. Prices fell as low at $40.50, levels last seen in December 2004.

Gasoline futures for January delivery tumbled to 90 cents.

For gas prices to get close to a $1, oil prices probably would need to fall another $10 a barrel -- something that would have impossible to fathom during first part of this year as oil prices soared near $150 per barrel....

Entirely possible that anyone with a heavy position in gas futures will either make a fortune or bankrupt themselves.

Entirely possible that anyone with a heavy position in gas futures will either make a fortune or bankrupt themselves.

When oil hits $20 a barrel, I'm investing every penny I have in it. In two years from now, I will own Donald Trump. :D

I paid a buck/10 tonight for gas, that was with my discount points. So it's not far from a buck.

Forum List

Back