CDZ Is This Video Accurate?

LoneLaugher

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2011
Inside Mac's Head
I came across this a few minutes ago and found that it presents a compelling discussion regarding how we've come to where we are regarding firearms ownership in this nation.

How The Gun Industry Sells Self-Defense

I'm not interested in having the same discussion that we always have on this issue. I just want to know if you agree that the primary reason we have so many firearms is that people are unnecessarily afraid of being harmed.

It not, please provide a more accurate reason.

I just want to know if you agree that the primary reason we have so many firearms is that people are unnecessarily afraid of being harmed.

I'm not sure I can "get with" the conclusion that irrational fears of harm is the primary reason why we have so many firearms, but I can accept that as being among the significant reasons why there are so many firearms available for sale and possessed by many people.

I know at least a hundred people that own guns. Almost all of them except for a couple single women friends buy them because they are either hunters or shooting enthusiasts. I don't own guns , but I've shot different types of handguns, rifles and shotguns and they are fun as hell to shoot.

Hand guns are probably more likely for personal protection. Rifles and such more likely for hunters and hoarders.

I came across this a few minutes ago and found that it presents a compelling discussion regarding how we've come to where we are regarding firearms ownership in this nation.

I'm not interested in having the same discussion that we always have on this issue. I just want to know if you agree that the primary reason we have so many firearms is that people are unnecessarily afraid of being harmed.

Bringing in and letting in more criminal elements around the country added more to the desire for people to own gun than anything else.

Why does anyone care how a product is presented?

As long as a child isn't being 'used', I generally don't care.

And I have never seen a gun - ammo add outside of a gun-ammo magazine

That there are Americans who own guns due to an unwarranted fear of crime and ‘terrorism’ is true; that it is the sole reason is not.

Many Americans, perhaps most, own guns for other reasons: because they enjoy the shooting sports, are collectors of firearms, or have an interest in firearms in general.

The same is true with regard to carrying concealed weapons.

True, many carry concealed weapons as a consequence of their errant perception of crime being ‘out of control,’ when in fact crime has been decreasing for more than 20 years.

But there are also many who carry concealed firearms because they can, for no other reason than because they can, having little to do with a fear of being a victim of crime.

Last, the notion that the NRA and gun industry contrived and fomented the specter of crime being ‘out of control’ in an effort to create and exploit a new gun market is at best an oversimplification.

As correctly noted in the linked video, the wrongheaded perception of crime being ‘out of control’ is mostly the consequence of the 24/7 news cycle, of news as entertainment (if it bleeds, it leads), and the availability of news not just on television, but over the internet displayed on computers, smartphones, and tablets as well.

As a result, the gun industry and NRA have instead sought to exploit this wrongheaded perception.

Consequently, there are many reasons why there are over 300 million firearms in the hands of private owners, not a primary reason, where citizens unnecessarily afraid of being harmed is among one of those many reasons.

Apparently I have to join to watch the video but if the OP has the premise right, I disagree that the gun industry sells fear, at least not more than the home security industry, the disinfectant cleanser industry, pharmaceutical industry.

I carry concealed yes because I want to protect myself and my family. Crime statistics are irrelevant.

But I have almost two dozen guns because it's a hobby and I like collecting and shooting them. Fear isn't a factor anywhere in any of it.

Apparently I have to join to watch the video but if the OP has the premise right, I disagree that the gun industry sells fear, at least not more than the home security industry, the disinfectant cleanser industry, pharmaceutical industry.

I carry concealed yes because I want to protect myself and my family. Crime statistics are irrelevant.

But I have almost two dozen guns because it's a hobby and I like collecting and shooting them. Fear isn't a factor anywhere in any of it.
I'd add that at the end of the day I'd rather have a gun and not need it than need one and not have it.

Impossible to answer this question because of the idea that people are " unnecessarily" afraid of being harmed. That is a determination made by each individual.

Forum List

Back