Is this true?

Falk

Rookie
Apr 8, 2005
Dr. Laura Schlesinger is a well known radiopersonality in the US, advising people who phone in with their problems.

Recently she advised one of the callers, referring to 3. Moses 18:22, that homosexuality is obscene and can under no circumstances be tolerated. The following is an open letter to Dr. Schlesinger from an anonymous American citizen:

Dear Dr. Schlesinger,

Thank you for your efforts in teaching the people about God's commandments. I have learnt a lot from you and I try to share this knowledge with as many people as I can. If anyone tries to defend homosexuality I only refer to 3. Moses 18:22 where it is clearly written that homosexuality is unacceptable. That ends the discussion.

Now I need some advise how to live by the word of God:

1. Each time I burn an ox in my garden as a sacrifice to God I know that this pleases the Lord. (3 Moses 1:9) The problem is my neighbours, who do not like the smell.

2. I want to sell my daughter as a slave (2. Moses 21:7) With today's price level, what would be the right price?

3. In 3. Moses 24:24 it is clearly stated that I can have both male and female slaves, as long as they are bought from a neighbouring country. A friend of mine claims that this only applies to Mexicans and not Canadians. I need help on this. Can I have a Canadian slave?

4. I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath. 2. Moses 35:2 clearly states that he must be killed. Am I morally obliged to do this myself?

5. One of my friends says that even if eating shellfish is not acceptable (3.Moses 11:10), homosexuality is worse. I disagree - who is right?

6. 3. Moses 21:20 clearly states that I must now approach God's altar if I do not see well. I am nearsighted and wear glasses. Must my eyesight be perfect, or is there a certain tolerance?

7. Most of my friends go to the hairdresser's. They cut their sideburns and trim their beards. 3. Moses 19:27 clearly defines this as a sin. How should they be punished?

8. I have read in 3. Moses 11:7-8 that I cannot touch any part of a dead pig, as this will make me unclean. Can I play American football if I wear gloves?

9. My uncle has a farm. He is sinning against 3.Moses 19:19 as he has two different crops in the same field. His wife is as bad because she wears textiles made from two different types of cloth - a mixture of cotton and polyester. My uncle also swears a lot. It really required the we gather the people of the village to stone them to death (3. Moses 24:10-16). Is it not easier to burn them during a family gathering the way we should do with people who have sex with their relatives (3. Moses 20:14)?

I know that you are good at advising on problems such as the above and am sure that you can help me. Thank you for constantly reminding us that God's word eternal and unalterable.

Wow, Falk - what a provocative piece! :sleep:

Here at USMB, we love fresh new ideas that haven't been seen a hundred times already, and exposed as rank horseshit.

Got anything like that?

I first saw it a few years ago and thought it was great. Snopes has been looking into it for awhile...

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/drlaura.asp

We could get into a discussion about the problems the email has...for instance, I believe that most of the examples it gives are actually from Leviticus, not Moses, which places them in the Old Testament.

Sorry, just had to add this to the mix...from a site that addressed the Dr. Laura letter as it was "parodied" in an episode of the West Wing:

SLAVERY

When confronted with the issue of slavery, NBC’s version of Dr. Laura was left speechless. In real life, however, there is an answer.

First and foremost, it should be noted that the Bible does not commend slavery; rather, it recognizes the reality of slavery. In the ancient world where slavery flourished, the Mosaic Law thus stipulated stringent guidelines such as a year of Jubilee in which slaves were released (Lev. 25:40). In fact, it was the application of biblical principles that ultimately led to the overthrow of slavery, both in ancient Israel and in the United States of America. Israel’s liberation from slavery in Egypt became the model for the liberation of slaves in general. In America, many are beginning to wake up to the liberating biblical truth that all people are created innately equal (see Gen. 1:27; Acts 17:26–28; see also Gal. 3:28).

Furthermore, slavery within an Old Testament context was sanctioned due to economic realities rather than racial or sexual prejudices.5 Because bankruptcy laws did not exist, people would voluntarily sell themselves into slavery. A craftsman could, thus, use his skills in servitude to discharge a debt. Even a convicted thief could make restitution by serving as a slave (Exod. 23:3).

Finally, we should note that far from extolling the virtues of slavery, the Bible denounces slavery as sin. The apostle Paul goes so far as to put slave traders in the same category as murderers, adulterers, perverts, and liars (1 Tim.1:10). Indeed, slavery is so abhorrent to God that in the final book of the Bible, He condemns the evil systems that perpetuate it.6

SABBATH

Using hyperbole, the president suggests that the very Bible that condemns homosexuality mandates that he kill his own chief of staff for violating the Sabbath. Answering this question may pose somewhat of a challenge for orthodox Jews such as Dr. Laura or Senator Joseph Lieberman, but it poses no problem whatsoever for Christians who recognize that Christ is the substance that fulfills the symbol of the Sabbath.

To begin with, as the president of the United States would surely know, America is a democratic republic and not a theocratic form of government; thus, Sabbath-breaking may have had serious ramifications within ancient Israel, but it is not a warrant for executing people today. Not even Joseph Lieberman, who is still looking forward to the first coming of Messiah, would suggest killing the President’s chief of staff for violating the Jewish Sabbath.

Furthermore, there is no more warrant for killing a homosexual today than there is for killing a Sabbath breaker. In fact, the mechanisms required to carry out the death penalty under Mosaic Law are no longer extant. Ironically, the very Jews who believed that Christ was worthy of death for violating the laws of Moses had to convince the Roman authorities to crucify Him.

Finally, while Schlessinger and Lieberman have a hard time explaining why Mosaic penalties no longer apply (at least in spirit), the answer for Christians is found in Christ. As the apostle Paul explains, “Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: ‘Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree.’ He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit” (Gal. 3:13–14). This redemption from the curse of the law is available to all regardless of ethnicity or gender. Paul continues:

So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law. You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise (Gal. 3:24–29).7

SWINE

The president makes his biggest blunder by addressing the subject of swine. Sarcastically, he suggests that players for the Washington Redskins, Notre Dame, or West Point may become ceremonially unclean by touching a football made of “the skin of a dead pig.” Ironically, the president has just dressed down “Dr. Laura” for not having a Ph.D. in psychology, theology, or medicine. By implication she therefore is not qualified to speak on matters of personal faith and morals. It appears, however, that the president has not been properly briefed; and, thus, despite his Ph.D. in economics, he appears less than qualified to pontificate on this subject.

To begin with, the fact that Dr. Laura’s Ph.D. is in physiology rather than psychology is no warrant for intimating that she is ill equipped to properly interpret literary documents such as the Bible. It appears she has a better grasp of biblical hermeneutics than that displayed by the president. If, indeed, the president had an adequate understanding of the rich tradition of biblical Judaism, he would no doubt have been far more restrained in his diatribe against the Scriptures. At best, he proved himself a master at rhetoric and emotive stereotypes rather than reason and evidence.

Furthermore, we should note that the footballs used in college and the professional ranks are not even made of pigskin. Rather, they are made of cowhide8 — the skin of a kosher animal. The president of the United States should blush with embarrassment for overliteralizing “pigskin” and for using an out-to-lunch appeal to demonstrate that the Bible is out of date.

Finally, there is a quantum difference between enduring moral principles such as those regarding homosexuality and temporary ceremonial practices relegated to a particular historical context. The distinction between clean and unclean animals symbolized the distinction between that which was holy and that which was unholy within the context of a theocracy. As we have already noted, however, the ceremonial symbolism of the law was fulfilled in Christ, who makes the unclean clean. As Scripture thus declares, we are not to “call anything impure that God has made clean” (Acts 10:15).9

SEEDING AND SEWING

The president’s final attempt to invalidate Dr. Laura’s appeal to Scripture as an authority on the moral status of homosexuality involves the biblical injunction against seeding “different crops side by side” and sewing garments together “from two different threads.” The president succeeds in raising the emotional level of his argument by relating these Levitical laws to his brother and his mother. Once again he attempts to seduce an audience of more than 11 million with emotive rhetoric.10 Given today’s widespread biblical ignorance, including among supposed intellectuals, his arguments probably have tremendous impact. Yet, once again, he is wrong.

First, nowhere in Scripture is there any suggestion that we should kill family members for failing to heed Levitical laws regarding seeding and sewing. Furthermore, Scripture simply uses the object lessons of seeding crops and sewing clothes to illustrate the spiritual and social distinctions between the kingdom of darkness and the kingdom of light. The mixing of different things was associated with the syncretistic pagan practices that Israel was to avoid. Scripture thus provides myriad illustrations to underscore the principle of undivided loyalty. In Deuteronomy, for example, the Israelites were commanded not to plow with an ox and a donkey yoked together (22:10). Paul, writing to the Corinthians, uses this common sense principle to underscore the fact that as a donkey and an ox do not work together synergistically in the process of plowing, so too a believer and an unbeliever do not harmonize well in the process of living. Paul thus says, “Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?” (2 Cor. 6:14–15).

Finally, the highly complex nature of the civil, ceremonial, and moral aspects of Mosaic laws can hardly be relegated to simplistic, superficial sound bites. Devoid of context, the twenty-first-century mind can only with great difficulty grasp the significance of biblical illustrations, metaphors, or figures of speech. A golfer living in the twenty-first century knows precisely what I mean by the common golf expression: “I drained a snake on the eighteenth hole.”11 To someone living in a context or culture in which golf is not played, it probably makes no sense. Similarly, the ceremonial significance of Mosaic laws makes little sense to someone who has never read and studied the Bible in context.

http://www.equip.org/free/DP801.htm

Gem said:
I first saw it a few years ago and thought it was great. Snopes has been looking into it for awhile...

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/drlaura.asp

Maybe it's just me, but I found Snopes' tone a bit snippy and a lot one-sided. It's interesting, though, that they saw fit to reference the TV show, "West Wing". I had to think about that for a minute, and then it hit me - oh, yeah! That's the show where liberals get to pretend that Democrats get elected to office and people actually listen to them. What a scream!

And, as far as the letter to Dr. Laura, President Bush, or whoever, making the rounds anew during the presidential campaign - great! Judging by the carnage carried out on gay marriage referenda across the country, I have to wonder if Karl Rove didn't pass the thing around!

I too was very surprised by Snopes tone. Usually they stick to simple "Yes, this is real. No, this is not." Apparently whoever they had working on this issue had some personal feelings about Dr. Laura that they felt needed to be heard.

Falk said:
Dr. Laura Schlesinger is a well known radiopersonality in the US, advising people who phone in with their problems.

Recently she advised one of the callers, referring to 3. Moses 18:22, that homosexuality is obscene and can under no circumstances be tolerated. The following is an open letter to Dr. Schlesinger from an anonymous American citizen:

Dear Dr. Schlesinger,

Thank you for your efforts in teaching the people about God's commandments. I have learnt a lot from you and I try to share this knowledge with as many people as I can. If anyone tries to defend homosexuality I only refer to 3. Moses 18:22 where it is clearly written that homosexuality is unacceptable. That ends the discussion.

1. Each time I burn an ox in my garden as a sacrifice to God I know that this pleases the Lord. (3 Moses 1:9) The problem is my neighbours, who do not like the smell.

2. I want to sell my daughter as a slave (2. Moses 21:7) With today's price level, what would be the right price?

3. In 3. Moses 24:24 it is clearly stated that I can have both male and female slaves, as long as they are bought from a neighbouring country. A friend of mine claims that this only applies to Mexicans and not Canadians. I need help on this. Can I have a Canadian slave?

4. I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath. 2. Moses 35:2 clearly states that he must be killed. Am I morally obliged to do this myself?

5. One of my friends says that even if eating shellfish is not acceptable (3.Moses 11:10), homosexuality is worse. I disagree - who is right?

6. 3. Moses 21:20 clearly states that I must now approach God's altar if I do not see well. I am nearsighted and wear glasses. Must my eyesight be perfect, or is there a certain tolerance?

7. Most of my friends go to the hairdresser's. They cut their sideburns and trim their beards. 3. Moses 19:27 clearly defines this as a sin. How should they be punished?

8. I have read in 3. Moses 11:7-8 that I cannot touch any part of a dead pig, as this will make me unclean. Can I play American football if I wear gloves?

9. My uncle has a farm. He is sinning against 3.Moses 19:19 as he has two different crops in the same field. His wife is as bad because she wears textiles made from two different types of cloth - a mixture of cotton and polyester. My uncle also swears a lot. It really required the we gather the people of the village to stone them to death (3. Moses 24:10-16). Is it not easier to burn them during a family gathering the way we should do with people who have sex with their relatives (3. Moses 20:14)?

I know that you are good at advising on problems such as the above and am sure that you can help me. Thank you for constantly reminding us that God's word eternal and unalterable.

So, by this line of reasoning, since the Law of Moses is antiquated and out of date, I should be able to commit adultery, pedastry, genocide, perjury, right? After all, since the Law of Moses contains items that are apparently outdated, it must all be outdated!

Typical of the black and white thinking of Liberal Leftists......

Of course, never mind that homosexuals have a shorter life expectancy, contract more diseases, are more likely to abuse drugs and/or alcohol, suffer from depression and other mental disorders than the general population. Also, they suffer from diseases that most of us haven't even heard of (when was the last time anyone you knew got rectal gonnorhea or Kaposi's Sarcoma?).... not to mention Gay Bowel Syndrome (look it up on google --- if you really want to know)

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
Falk said:

Falk,

First, the books are call Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Dueteronomy, not 1 Moses, 2 Moses, 3 Moses, 4 Moses, and 5 Moses.

Second, I think your article has been very throroughly debunked. Nice try.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
Falk said:

Dear Dr. Schlesinger,

There is no book of Moses, you could at least get that right. The book you would like to reference is Leviticus. Exchange Leviticus for Moses each time in the above quoted post and you might be able to find actual verses.

Forum List

Back