Is this the kind of nonsense talk we can expect on a daily basis from Trump and his team?

Mustang

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2010
39° 44 mins 21 secs N, 104° 59 mins 5 secs W
Let's start with a premise. It's this: All politicians, to one extent or another, obfuscate the truth.

definition of obfuscate: being evasive, unclear, or obscure in the telling of the facts.

So, almost any politician can be selective in what he says or how he says something which is sometimes meant to conceal rather than reveal.

I can usually, but certainly not always, tell when it's happening. Senators and members of the House of Representatives are usually more blatant in "framing issues" in such a way as to make a mockery of what is actually true. Presidents and their staff are generally more circumspect in this regard due to both the sheer impact of their statements and the high degree of scrutiny their statements get both here at home and abroad.

Frankly, to be fair, I can think of some whoppers told by every president of the modern era. Some of these false or misleading statements, one can argue, are said in the interest of national security. Others are purely self-serving. Clinton's "I-did-not-have-sex-with-that-woman..." statement immediately comes to mind.

With that said, Trump and his team seem to be charting new ground even before taking office.

What prompts me to post this is a news report I just saw about the CIA continuing to look into Russia's meddling in last month's US national election due, at least in part, to the fact that president Obama had ordered a full review to be done in this regard.

Trump team responds to report that Russia helped Trump win

At any rate, as I read the article, I saw an unattributed quote from someone on Trump's transition team. The person reportedly said the following: "The election ended a long time ago in one of the biggest Electoral College victories in history."

Really? I didn't think the margin was particularly large. Consequently, I decided to see if I could find out how large it really was when compared to ALL the other presidential elections from George Washington onward.

Here's what I found:

We've had 58 presidential elections over our entire history. Trump's electoral margin of victory was 46th out of 58, AND he still managed to lose the popular vote by somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.7 MILLION ballots cast. So, what this all means is that approximately 78% of the winners of previous elections had a higher winning electoral margin than Trump had.

List of United States presidential elections by Electoral College margin - Wikipedia

So, I can't help but ask the question again. Is this the kind of nonsense talk we can expect on a daily basis from Trump and his team? If so, the nation is going to tire of it in short order. Of that, I am sure!

Last edited:
I've challenged that statement before, as well, and gotten crickets from the Trump supporters here. What is amazing is that even his transition team is saying it. They obviously need a "translation" so we can understand what they REALLY mean by that. Where is Kellyann?

Let's start with a premise. It's this: All politicians, to one extent or another, obfuscate the truth.

definition of obfuscate: being evasive, unclear, or obscure in the telling of the facts.

So, almost any politician can be selective in what he says or how he says something which is sometimes meant to conceal rather than reveal.

I can usually, but certainly not always, tell when it's happening. Senators and members of the House of Representatives are usually more blatant in "framing issues" in such a way as to make a mockery of what is actually true. Presidents and their staff are generally more circumspect in this regard due to both the sheer impact of their statements and the high degree of scrutiny their statements get both at here at home and abroad.

Frankly, to be fair, I can think of some whoppers told by every president of the modern era. Some of these false or misleading statements, one can argue, are said in the interest of national security. Others are purely self-serving. Clinton's "I-did-not-have-sex-with-that-woman..." statement immediately comes to mind.

With that said, Trump and his team seem to be charting new ground even before taking office.

What prompts me to post this is a news report I just saw about the CIA continuing to look into Russia's meddling in last month's US national election due, at least in part, to the fact that president Obama had ordered a full review to be done in this regard.

At any rate, as I read the article, I saw an unattributed quote from someone on Trump's transition team. The person reportedly said the following: "The election ended a long time ago in one of the biggest Electoral College victories in history."

Really? I didn't think the margin was particularly large. Consequently, I decided to see if I could find out how large it really was when compared to ALL the other presidential elections from George Washington onward. Here's what I found out.

We've had 58 presidential elections over our entire history. Trump's electoral margin of victory was 46th out of 58, AND he managed to lose the popular vote by somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.7 ballots cast. So, what that means is that approximately 78% of the winners of previous elections had a higher winning margin than Trump.

List of United States presidential elections by Electoral College margin - Wikipedia

So, I can't help but ask the question again. Is this the kind of nonsense talk we can expect on a daily basis from Trump and his team? If so, the nation is going to tire of it in short order. Of that, I am sure!

Well that would explain this --

Trump's favorability jumps since election

I can usually, but certainly not always, tell when it's happening. Senators and members of the House of Representatives are usually more blatant in "framing issues" in such a way as to make a mockery of what is actually true. Presidents and their staff are generally more circumspect in this regard due to both the sheer impact of their statements and the high degree of scrutiny their statements get both at here at home and abroad.

Really? I didn't think the margin was particularly large. Consequently, I decided to see if I could find out how large it really was when compared to ALL the other presidential elections from George Washington onward. Here's what I found out.

We've had 58 presidential elections over our entire history. Trump's electoral margin of victory was 46th out of 58, AND he managed to lose the popular vote by somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.7 ballots cast. So, what that means is that approximately 78% of the winners of previous elections had a higher winning margin than Trump.

Yes he's done a good job walking back almost all of his promises

I wouldn't put much stock in ANY favorability rating which is calculated more than a month prior to actually taking office.

Speaking of promises, I listened to a podcast of a Trump speech given at one of his self-congratulatory rallies (I think it was in NC) during his tour through certain swing states which handed him the election. Aside from the fact that all his talk reminded me of Ringo singing "I'm the Greatest," I was most struck by the sheer number of promises he made and how absolutely unequivocal he was about how wonderful everything was going to be. I could'n't help but ask myself if he didn't have any sense at all that the presidency doesn't come with a magic wand and pixie dust. He just seemed like a daddy promising his little girl that unicorns were real.

I wouldn't put much stock in ANY favorability rating which is calculated more than a month prior to actually taking office.

I've never put any stock on Obama's "favorability" ratings...talk about a bunch of BS. it's liked they polled San Freak Show

Can we expect Trump to smash political correctness and make you people whine everyday? YES! Next question.

Speaking of promises, I listened to a podcast of a Trump speech given at one of his self-congratulatory rallies (I think it was in NC) during his tour through certain swing states which handed him the election. Aside from the fact that all his talk reminded me of Ringo singing "I'm the Greatest," I was most struck by the sheer number of promises he made and how absolutely unequivocal he was about how wonderful everything was going to be. I could'n't help but ask myself if he didn't have any sense at all that the presidency doesn't come with a magic wand and pixie dust. He just seemed like a daddy promising his little girl that unicorns were real.
At the end of the day that's what all republicans really want. A daddy who will comfort them.

You got crickets because many refuse to learn what the Electoral College is all about.

Hint - Only a third of the population supported succession from the Crown before the Revolutionary War.
The Electoral College is there for the citizens to overthrow an oppressive goverment that is doing our Nation harm and towards the citizens harm.
The E.C. is Set up for minorties to be able to do so against the majority.

Trump won more counties over Hillary.
Hillary lost, deal with it.

Isn't this group comprised mostly of people who swore Clinton would win by a landslide? Get a clue, this may be one of the reasons no one listens to your idiotic ranting.

Cry more, his transition is fucking great. Faster than Obama and putting some great guys in: Sessions, Pruit, DeVoss, Maddis, Flynn, Kelly and the gang, gonna be awesome!

Why are you still buying what the media is selling?

Didn't you get embarrassed enough

Of course they buy everything the media says.

liberals.jpg

After Barry Hussein used the IRS to spy on and punish political enemies and the A.G. threatened to arrest anyone who insulted a person of the Muslem faith after a terrorist attack, the left accuses Trump's team of "nonsense talk"? They must be going nuts out there in lib land.

I've never put any stock on Obama's "favorability" ratings...talk about a bunch of BS. it's liked they polled San Freak Show

Fine.

However, I'm going to offer a prediction that I personally think is a no-brainer.

I predict that people are going to miss (REALLY miss) no-drama Obama and his sober, reflective, calm and reassuring leadership style very soon, especially considering that Trump is SO reactive and easily (and quite obviously) agitated by even the smallest seemingly insignificant thing (Think Alec Baldwin on SNL). Trump's excitable reactive style is going to make a LOT of people very nervous simply because he's predictably unpredictable. I would liken it to having a friend who is so emotionally excitable about almost anything that you're always trying to tip toe through a conversation because you're never really sure what's going to set him off. It's tiring, and taxing. My bet is that America is going to sour on Trump in record time. That's when his fragile ego is going to shift into a self-pity mode which is going to make people long for the days of Obama and how he maturely handled adversity like a man who understood it came with the territory and that there was no point on dwelling (or should I say, obsessing) on unimportant issues that would merely serve to distract his focus from the job at hand.

Fine.

However, I'm going to offer a prediction that I personally think is a no-brainer.

I predict that people are going to miss (REALLY miss) no-drama Obama and his sober, reflective, calm and reassuring leadership style very soon, especially considering that Trump is SO reactive and easily (and quite obviously) agitated by even the smallest seemingly insignificant thing (Think Alec Baldwin on SNL). Trump's excitable reactive style is going to make a LOT of people very nervous simply because he's predictably unpredictable. I would liken it to having a friend who is so emotionally excitable about almost anything that you're always trying to tip toe through a conversation because you're never really sure what's going to set him off. It's tiring, and taxing. My bet is that America is going to sour on Trump in record time. That's when his fragile ego is going to shift into a self-pity mode which is going to make people long for the days of Obama and how he maturely handled adversity like a man who understood it came with the territory and that there was no point on dwelling (or should I say, obsessing) on unimportant issues that would merely distract his focus from the job at hand.

Obungles will be missed like the plague, what a freaking disaster

Fine.

I predict that people are going to miss (REALLY miss) no-drama Obama and his sober, reflective, calm and reassuring leadership style very soon, especially considering that Trump is SO reactive and easily (and quite obviously) agitated by even the smallest seemingly insignificant thing (Think Alec Baldwin on SNL). Trump's excitable reactive style is going to make a LOT of people very nervous simply because he's predictably unpredictable. I would liken it to having a friend who is so emotionally excitable about almost anything that you're always trying to tip toe through a conversation because you're never really sure what's going to set him off. It's tiring, and taxing. My bet is that America is going to sour on Trump in record time. That's when his fragile ego is going to shift into a self-pity mode which is going to make people long for the days of Obama and how he maturely handled adversity like a man who understood it came with the territory and that there was no point on dwelling (or should I say, obsessing) on unimportant issues that would merely distract his focus from the job at hand.

Obungles will be missed like the plague, what a freaking disaster

To paraphrase a Beatles lyric...

It won't be long, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.

It won't be LONG till we are sick of Trump!

Forum List

Back