Is this terror?

Discussion in 'History' started by Saigon, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Saigon

Saigon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,240
    Following on from a few other threads where the subject of terror has arisen, I thought it might be interesting to consider whether any kind of terror attack can ever be acceptable.

To my way of thinking, no attack against civilian targets is ever acceptable for any reason.

I am also opposed to most attacks against government buildings, such as the 9/11 strike on the Pentagon, the King David Hotel bombing, etc, because I think most of the casualties often end up being civilians as well.

But what about resistance against oppression?

Here's one case I often think of - that of Max Manus...his attacks would fit most peoples definition of terror, but was he really evil?

Max Manus, a Norwegian resistance leader whose Oslo Gang sank so many German warships, blew up so many German planes and kept Norwegian spirits so high during the Nazi occupation in World War II that he became a national hero, died on Friday, The Associated Press reported. He was 81.

Once he and a countryman had parachuted safely into the countryside outside Oslo and been supplied with hundreds of pounds of explosives and other provisions in follow-up air drops, there was hardly a day that the Germans did not feel their sting.

Although his chief target was German shipping in the Oslo harbor, Mr. Manus, who sometimes spent days under stinking piers waiting for cargo ships to tie up and who claimed even a battleship among his prizes, blew up virtually any German military or industrial target he encountered, including more than 100 German warplanes.

Max Manus, 81, Dies - Fought Nazis in Occupied Norway - Obituary; Biography - NYTimes.com

2. Saigon

Saigon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,240
    A quote of Arte's from another thread....

I just don't see the Norwegian resistance movement as being evil terrorists. I think they were defending their homes and families from Nazi oppression. I think they were right to do so.

3. Artevelde

Artevelde Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +262
    He was fighting on behalf of the legitimate government of a legitimate state in a military conflict between two states.

Even so, if he wasn't military it would have been perfectly legal for the German authorities to execute him if they had captured him.

If he acted completely on his own initiative, without sanction by the Norwegian govenment, then yes, he would be a terrorist.

This is why virtually all Western governments of occupied countries passed laws or decrees giving a full amnesty and pardon to all recognized resistance fighters after the war.

4. Artevelde

Artevelde Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +262
    You are deliberately conflating recognized reistance movements sanctioned and operating under control of legitimate governments of legitimate states with terrorist organizations.

This is of course consistent with your support for terrorism.

5. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    According to the Nazis they were terrorists, thats all a matter of perspective.

6. Artevelde

Artevelde Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Saigon feels that the terrorist attacks against US military personnel in the Middle East are legitimate and can't be considered as terrorism.

7. typicalusguy

typicalusguy Edited

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Why are the terrorists in Syria called freedom fighters?

Why did the US once refer to the Taliban as freedom fighters but now call them terrorists?

I don't get it.

8. Saigon

Saigon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,240
    Exactly so!

I think most Norwegian's would support what these guys did, and I know I do.

I don't think this justifies what groups like Hamas or Hezbollah do, but I think it does establish that at times the right thing to do may be to take up arms against an aggressor.

9. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    Maybe murkins should consider that ?

10. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    Well to me Hamas and Hezbollah are terrorist groups without a doubt, but of course you have people that don't see it that way and support them.