Is this steak Medium-Well to you?

Ya' have to remember, it's "teriyaki steak". Definitely been marinated awhile.

But then, i'm a chef. Marinating steak in my opinion is blasphemous.......Tri- tip, London broil, Skirt, ok......But steak?.....A good steak should always stand on its own. Maybe a killer demi sauce to "accompany it".....nothing more.

Just my honest professional opinion BTW.

:thup:

(It's still overdone, IMO.)
You're like me.......I always order mine seared rare...A good grill line cook or chef can always pull it off. It is an art.....I want that charred steak flavor on the outside, and the buttery melt in your mouth flavor on the inside. Anytime a restaurant puts a marinated "teriyaki style" steak on the menu, they are covering up the fact it's a cheap cut. They are tenderizing by marination, nothing more......They are trying to cover up the fact that it's not prime, but a choice or select grade cut. Although on the menu they will try to claim it's a prime cut of beef.....It's one of the oldest tricks in the book, and one I always abhorred.

Oh well, I just hope the restaurant accommodated PP in the end.....It's the right thing to do....Personally, I would have comp'd the burger order or drinks across the board as a good faith measure.

I don't like rare, but I don't like medium well, either.. I'd rather they err on the side of rare than well, tho. I generally have to reheat half of it the next day anyway, and I'd rather that reheating process not result in gray meat. :)

Anyone using the word "rare" to describe that steak is on crack. Either that, or you don't know how to tell the doneness of meat. That would qualify as just *barely* medium, and is actually bordering on overdone.

But then, i'm a chef. Marinating steak in my opinion is blasphemous.......Tri- tip, London broil, Skirt, ok......But steak?.....A good steak should always stand on its own. Maybe a killer demi sauce to "accompany it".....nothing more.

Agree 100% with the marinating thing.

However, IMHO nothing can touch the steak au poivre from the Holiday Inn City Chop House the way they did it back in the day. Brushed with cracked black pepper, flamed in cognac, chargrilled to order and served over a burgundy wine demi-glaze.

Hell, I can cook a perfect stand alone steak (granted restaurant quality meat is hard to find) at home. If I'm a payin' customer, I want it done special.

sidenote: the sauce may give the illusion of the meat being overdone but if I can cut it with my fork, I'm good.

movie critic sidenote: anyone else ever see that scene in the Matrix where Cipher is eating with an Agent and drinking wine and talking about his perfectly juicy steak? It's a prefectly done med rare in one shot, then... the camera closes in on him taking a bite and the steak is freakin med well! (drives me crazy every time)
That's what i'm talkin' about....au poivre isn't marinated.....It's cooked to order....And when done right, it's one of the classics....I always had it on my menu......It's definitely a timeless dish. Once again, it's all about the quality of the ingredients, and the talent of whomever is preparing it.

Christ, i'm gettin' hungry, DAMMIT!

Movie critic sidenote: anyone seen the movie "The Cowboy Way"?

Woody Harrelson walks into the Ritz Carlton Hotel I believe it was, sits down in the restaurant, dressed like a cowboy and the waiter asks:

How would you like your steak prepared, sir?

Harrelson: What?

Waiter (highly annoyed): How would you like your steak prepared, SIR?

Harrelson" What?

Keifer Sutherland: He's asking how you want your steak cooked.

Waiter: (still highly annoyed) YES, how would you like your steak COOKED, SIR?

Harrelson: OH!...Just whack him in the head, lop his horns off, wipe his nasty ass and chuck him on the plate!

YEAH BUDDY!:razz:

Last edited:
5342ea4f33d8__1291677224000.jpg

d1159881b247__1291677278000.jpeg

I wont get into the whole story but I had a really bad overall experience at a local restaurant tonight.

That was supposed to be medium well....to quote "medium well, barely pink" and it was supposed to be jasmine rice and corn not french fries and steamed string beans.

Anyhow am I crazy or is that medium or even medium rare meat?

Thats a medium all the way in my opinion. Its a total botched order, I hope you sent it back.

It looks perfect, why the complaint? Oh yeah, medium well. :rolleyes: lol

In all seriousness, if I ordered rare and it came out medium well, I'd send it back. Did you eat it? I should probably go back and read the whole thread cause I bet you answered it, didn't you. I am lazy tonight.

I ate it after I cooked it some more ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat

In all seriousness, if I ordered rare and it came out medium well, I'd send it back. Did you eat it? I should probably go back and read the whole thread cause I bet you answered it, didn't you. I am lazy tonight.

After taking biology in high school my oldest will only eat meat that's medium-well. :mad:

After taking biology in high school my oldest will only eat meat that's medium-well. :mad:

I like my eatin animals dead and cooked so they chew like jerky, lol.

Looks like it's barely on the Medium side of Medium-Rare.
Medium Well should have all the juice on the outside.

That's what I was thinking, Barely medium - slightly medium rare. I always use to get mine well, then started going medium well. Getting to where I can do medium. It's a thought thing with me I know. Always thought they were bloody (and maybe they are), but medium does taste better than well. Don't know if I will ever be able to go rare though.
My wife was always a Well done person. I finally persuaded her into Medium Well. You get so much more flavor when you keep the juices.
Originally she was put off by the puddle of juice it was sitting in, thinking it was blood until I explained that since it was almost well done it was, basically, still cooking and thus pushing the juices out of the cut of meat.
I'm a Medium fan, personally. I like it bright pink but it has to be HOT.
:cool:

That was exactly my thought on it, OOOoooo YUCK, Bloood. I'm liking medium now.

Anyone using the word "rare" to describe that steak is on crack. Either that, or you don't know how to tell the doneness of meat. That would qualify as just *barely* medium, and is actually bordering on overdone.

I have a friend who tons A-1 on everything, including a good steak. I told him "Why don't you just save some money and eat a damn hamburger? You'll never know the difference. With all that sauce you have no ideal waht a steak actually tastes like".

I have a friend who tons A-1 on everything, including a good steak. I told him "Why don't you just save some money and eat a damn hamburger? You'll never know the difference. With all that sauce you have no ideal waht a steak actually tastes like".
A good steak doesn't need anything on it.

There is literally a rule of thumb when cooking steak. Hold the tip of your thumb to the tip of your forefinger. Feel the web between them, That is medium rare and any steak cooked more than that is dog food.

Also, a real steak NEVER needs sauce of ANY kind.

Forum List

Back