• No

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Depends...

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
or am i just over-reacting?

I work in an office where our vendors (local body shops and other services) regularly buy lunches, breakfasts, and all sorts of goodies (rough for those on diets!). One of the most common food items are donuts and bagels.

Every time these are brought in, one person (or more than one, i am not sure who actually does it), decides they do not want a whole donut or bagel (perfectly understandable), but instead of taking a whole one, and just tossing the other part out, or saving it for the next day, or splitting it with someone, they tear the part they want off (sometimes not even half or more than half) and leave the rest in the box.

I find this disgusting, rude, very bad manners, etc. I don't always take advantage of the free treats because I am on weight watchers, but i do like to take advantage of the bagels, because they are free, and provide 2 days worth of breakfast, or i split it with my co-worker who is also on weight watchers.

It's one thing to only want a part of something, but it is another that they leave the other part in the box/bag.

Does anyone else find this bad manners or even kinda gross considering they handled it then put it back?

I don't eat at work, but ya that's kinda gross
considering how many times I've been in the restroom
and witnessed MANY people not washing their hands.
Think about the ones they touch and decide they don’t want it
or the ones they touch to move over in order to get to the one
with the sprinkles.That’s why I don’t eat at work. (unless it’s packaged
food I brought)

It would depend entirely on if there is somebody there that would eat the leftover portion.

If nobody will touch the leftover portion and it just sits and gets hard then it clearly is rude and they are not paying attention to what others may want. If somebody will eat them it would be rude to throw away the uneaten portion thus causing the other person to trash a whole donut in order to only eat a portion as well.

These people feel bad about being wasteful, so they're doing you a favor. :D At home it's one thing. In a public place, I agree, it's nasty.

Macho Grande?? Did you see Ethel Merman??

And yep, having just watched "Along Came Polly" this a.m. (snowed in: more than an inch and I ain't budging. I is wimp) and seeing the bit about the poopie covered bar nuts.... When I eat of the free junk at work, I make sure to handle it with a napkin, and if I want only part I cut it with a knife. WON'T BE DOIN' THAT AGAIN, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

gop_jeff said:
Did they use a knife? That would be OK, in my book. Just their hands, though, is uncalled for.

in most cases, yes, but they still just leave the other part, and i really don't think they held the food item down with a napkin or another utensil.

at home, it doesn't bug me, especially because i have a young son (18 mos) who is a bottomless pit one day, and eats barely anything the next, so i am used to half-eaten food, or whatever. but we save it for the next day or my hubby will eat what he doesn't.

at work, no one ever eats the leftover portions. it/they always just sit there, getting wasted. they might as well throw the other half in the garbage right away instead of letting them just sit in the box/bag.

like i said, if they want only a portion, they should find someone to share the whole thing, wrap it up, and save it for later, or toss the other half.

-=d=- said:
Some of you people are weenies. We ate mud-covered dirt for WEEKS in 'Nam....over Macho Grande...(sigh).

:)

:tank:

i am not a paranoid person when it comes to germs and bacteria. i ride horses, and do the dirty work of grooming, helping with cleaning stalls, and such. i am a tomboy, but i do have manners, and a sense of cleanliness. i hate most antibacterial cleaning stuff because it makes the house smell like a hospital. i use just soap and water, except for my swiffer, and scrubbing bubbles cleaner for my bathtub.

If they're using a knife, I don't think it's that rude. It's no different than going out to dinner with someone, and their fingers touch items in the table bread basket. You have no obligation to eat the other half - just move around it. Or, throw it out yourself if it really offends you that bad.

Shattered said:
If they're using a knife, I don't think it's that rude. It's no different than going out to dinner with someone, and their fingers touch items in the table bread basket. You have no obligation to eat the other half - just move around it. Or, throw it out yourself if it really offends you that bad.

yes, but at a buffet (restaurant or special occasion like a company party or wedding), do you take only half a roll or a chunk of chicken breast, and put the rest back in the container, even though you didn't use your hands?

:gross2: sneez on them all that will show them....

if you are not going to eat it don't touch it

Offhand, I really don't subscribe to the idea of catching germs from food that has simply been touched by someone else's hands.

First, you leave that food open in a box all day, and its going to have all kinds of dust (mostly skin flakes), dirt, and airborne germs landing on it. No worse than anything, ANYTHING, eaten out of a restaurant.

Simply touching someone elses food is not going to 'infect' it, unless you are dealing with a virus that individual has passed from their mouth/nose to their fingers to the food, which in any case, dies a few minutes after being exposed to the open air. And most cases, any germs passed on to the food will die immediately in your stomach.

I'm not that paranoid about catching other peoples germs, since I know the golden rule... washing your hands often. One gets sick from touching your own hands to your face more often than anything. I've used to work in I.T., and rarely had a chance to wash hands between touching other peoples keyboards. I got sick five times one Winter in that job.

In the last five years since I started washing my hands regularly after touching other peoples things, I've been sick once.

fuzzykitten99 said:
yes, but at a buffet (restaurant or special occasion like a company party or wedding), do you take only half a roll or a chunk of chicken breast, and put the rest back in the container, even though you didn't use your hands?

What's the difference between a company occasion, a wedding buffet, and just going out to dinner with half a dozen people? Someones fingers are always touching something.. Some people just do it because they have no urge to be wasteful, and it's what they were taught.

Throw it away.

fuzzykitten99 said:
or am i just over-reacting?

Hey - you're female and can't help it. :teeth:

Some months ago I came home from work, greeted the wife with a big sloppy kiss then proceeded to park my butt in front of the computer. After a while the spouse comes in carrying a spoon which contained a sample of something that she said was supper. She wants me to try it because I am the resident spice expert.

So I took the spoon, put it in my mouth and analyzed the contents. As soon as I put the spoon into my mouth, the wife goes "Eeeeewww. Your weren't supposed to put the spoon in you mouth. I was cooking with that."

Now this puzzled the poop out of me. I pointed out to her that not only was she going to put this spoon back into her cauldron - err, aah I mean pot of boiling stuff, but not 10 minutes before we had been swapping spit in the kitchen.

She said "that's different".

Oooookay. Makes sense to me.

Merlin1047 said:
Hey - you're female and can't help it. :teeth:

Some months ago I came home from work, greeted the wife with a big sloppy kiss then proceeded to park my butt in front of the computer. After a while the spouse comes in carrying a spoon which contained a sample of something that she said was supper. She wants me to try it because I am the resident spice expert.

So I took the spoon, put it in my mouth and analyzed the contents. As soon as I put the spoon into my mouth, the wife goes "Eeeeewww. Your weren't supposed to put the spoon in you mouth. I was cooking with that."

Now this puzzled the poop out of me. I pointed out to her that not only was she going to put this spoon back into her cauldron - err, aah I mean pot of boiling stuff, but not 10 minutes before we had been swapping spit in the kitchen.

She said "that's different".

Oooookay. Makes sense to me.

Hey, I'm female, and I don't get it either...

Merlin1047 said:
.... As soon as I put the spoon into my mouth, the wife goes "Eeeeewww. Your weren't supposed to put the spoon in you mouth. I was cooking with that."
.... but not 10 minutes before we had been swapping spit in the kitchen.
She said "that's different".....
She's right. Kissing is being intimate. And food, well, is food. The tho't of ingesting someone's saliva while eating is just gross. :puke: And besides, saliva breaks down the consistency of food for digesting.

Joz said:
She's right. Kissing is being intimate. And food, well, is food. The tho't of ingesting someone's saliva while eating is just gross. :puke: And besides, saliva breaks down the consistency of food for digesting.

I'm sure he didn't make it a point to spit in the spoon before handing it back to her..

..and how the hell was he supposed to taste it, if not off the spoon she offered it to him on??

Forum List

Back