Is this rude/bad manners, etc.?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fuzzykitten99, Feb 9, 2005.

?

Is this rude/gross/inconsiderate, etc.?

1. Yes!

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Depends...

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  1. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    or am i just over-reacting?

I work in an office where our vendors (local body shops and other services) regularly buy lunches, breakfasts, and all sorts of goodies (rough for those on diets!). One of the most common food items are donuts and bagels.

Every time these are brought in, one person (or more than one, i am not sure who actually does it), decides they do not want a whole donut or bagel (perfectly understandable), but instead of taking a whole one, and just tossing the other part out, or saving it for the next day, or splitting it with someone, they tear the part they want off (sometimes not even half or more than half) and leave the rest in the box.

I find this disgusting, rude, very bad manners, etc. I don't always take advantage of the free treats because I am on weight watchers, but i do like to take advantage of the bagels, because they are free, and provide 2 days worth of breakfast, or i split it with my co-worker who is also on weight watchers.

It's one thing to only want a part of something, but it is another that they leave the other part in the box/bag.

Does anyone else find this bad manners or even kinda gross considering they handled it then put it back?

2. JOKER96BRAVO

JOKER96BRAVO Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +285
    I don't eat at work, but ya that's kinda gross
    considering how many times I've been in the restroom
    and witnessed MANY people not washing their hands.
    Think about the ones they touch and decide they don’t want it
    or the ones they touch to move over in order to get to the one
    with the sprinkles.That’s why I don’t eat at work. (unless it’s packaged
    food I brought)

3. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    It would depend entirely on if there is somebody there that would eat the leftover portion.

If nobody will touch the leftover portion and it just sits and gets hard then it clearly is rude and they are not paying attention to what others may want. If somebody will eat them it would be rude to throw away the uneaten portion thus causing the other person to trash a whole donut in order to only eat a portion as well.

4. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    doesn't matter one bite..er, bit. :)

5. Joz

Joz Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    These people feel bad about being wasteful, so they're doing you a favor. :D At home it's one thing. In a public place, I agree, it's nasty.

6. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Did they use a knife? That would be OK, in my book. Just their hands, though, is uncalled for.

7. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Some of you people are weenies. We ate mud-covered dirt for WEEKS in 'Nam....over Macho Grande...(sigh).

:)

:tank:

8. MoltenLava

MoltenLava Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Macho Grande?? Did you see Ethel Merman??

And yep, having just watched "Along Came Polly" this a.m. (snowed in: more than an inch and I ain't budging. I is wimp) and seeing the bit about the poopie covered bar nuts.... When I eat of the free junk at work, I make sure to handle it with a napkin, and if I want only part I cut it with a knife. WON'T BE DOIN' THAT AGAIN, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

9. fuzzykitten99

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    in most cases, yes, but they still just leave the other part, and i really don't think they held the food item down with a napkin or another utensil.

at home, it doesn't bug me, especially because i have a young son (18 mos) who is a bottomless pit one day, and eats barely anything the next, so i am used to half-eaten food, or whatever. but we save it for the next day or my hubby will eat what he doesn't.

at work, no one ever eats the leftover portions. it/they always just sit there, getting wasted. they might as well throw the other half in the garbage right away instead of letting them just sit in the box/bag.

like i said, if they want only a portion, they should find someone to share the whole thing, wrap it up, and save it for later, or toss the other half.

10. fuzzykitten99

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    i am not a paranoid person when it comes to germs and bacteria. i ride horses, and do the dirty work of grooming, helping with cleaning stalls, and such. i am a tomboy, but i do have manners, and a sense of cleanliness. i hate most antibacterial cleaning stuff because it makes the house smell like a hospital. i use just soap and water, except for my swiffer, and scrubbing bubbles cleaner for my bathtub.