Is This Racist?

Consider this hypothetical: An American-born and raised Hispanic person who speaks flawless English. If you were talking to this person over the phone, and did not otherwise know him/her, you would think you were talking to a caucasian who spoke perfect English without the slightest trace of an accent.

That is, until the person came to a word of Spanish or Mexican origin. Then, in speaking that word, they suddenly slip over into heavy, Hispanic pronunciation.

Here, in the Los Angeles area, there is a helicopter radio traffic person by the name of Jorge Jarrin. Jorge delivers his daily traffic messages without the slightest trace of accent until he comes to the names of streets with Spanish or Mexican origin. Then he suddenly becomes Senor Espana.

I see this a lot at work. The vast majority of the people in my office and in my court, are Hispanic. Not all of them do this, but many of them do.

I submit that this is racist. I am offended by it. I view it as saying: "I'm happy to speak your silly little language in the same way you do, but when it comes to words from my native country, let's never forget that I am from that country and you are not!" Quite often, the (Spanish origin) words are spoken in a clearly superior tone, with a clearly smug, superior attitude on the part of the speaker.

That's how I see it. How about you?

No, I don't think it's racist at all. I think it comes natural to pronounce the Spanish origin
names that way, the way it was pronounced in the home. His dad was the LA Dodgers Spanish broadcaster for a long time, BTW.

I know that - Jaime Jarrin. Very well liked in the L.A. area (unlike the Dodgers themselves, these days . . )

Why wouldn't Hispanics take more pride in their own language then that of white people?

Why would Hispanics like the fact that they are forced to speak the language of white people?

When Hispanics become the majority, so will Spanish.

George,

I'm afraid we are diametrically opposed on this one.

First, while most Hispanic nationalities do have a Negro or Asiatic (Mestizo) component, the vast majority of Hispanics are Caucasian.

Proper pronunciation of Hispanic words within an English language context reflects pride in one's native (or fluently acquired) language, which is a good thing. If I spoke fluent Spanish I would make an effort to pronounce words of that language properly. But, regrettably, I don't speak Spanish so I must respectfully defer to one who speaks an Hispanic language and my language as well, which is something to be proud of.

Also, I think Portugese is one of the most beautiful languages of all and I enjoy hearing it properly spoken.

I also enjoy hearing English spoken properly, which is rare in America. Because American is to English what Yiddish is to German and Puerto Rican is to Spanish -- a ruined derivative.

I love hearing the language of the names. That's where the names were born. I dislike mispronounced names and in the West there was a pretty strong arrogance regarding names.

Bombay and Peking anyone?

i speak fluent italian. Speaking the italian language in the same way as an english person, who is new to the language, would would make me sound like a retard to anyone who spoke italian - this includes my mother and grandmother.

Why should i pronounce things in a way which would feel weird to me and make me sound like a dumb idiot to my family?

You're wrong. Get over it.

grazie.

Hey, the point's taken. Ever seen that SNL skit with Jimmy Smits, where they mock this very phenomenon? Pretty funny.

There is an element of "fuck you" to the over-espanol pronunciation of a Spanish word amidst the flat English. Kind of like, "and you see what a garden of authentic Hispanic-ness flowers in the midst of the Anglo boring desert?"

I got no problem with ethnic/linguistic/racial pride. I just ask, as I have been for years, why whites can't have that same pride.

Consider this hypothetical: An American-born and raised Hispanic person who speaks flawless English. If you were talking to this person over the phone, and did not otherwise know him/her, you would think you were talking to a caucasian who spoke perfect English without the slightest trace of an accent.

That is, until the person came to a word of Spanish or Mexican origin. Then, in speaking that word, they suddenly slip over into heavy, Hispanic pronunciation.

Here, in the Los Angeles area, there is a helicopter radio traffic person by the name of Jorge Jarrin. Jorge delivers his daily traffic messages without the slightest trace of accent until he comes to the names of streets with Spanish or Mexican origin. Then he suddenly becomes Senor Espana.

I see this a lot at work. The vast majority of the people in my office and in my court, are Hispanic. Not all of them do this, but many of them do.

I submit that this is racist. I am offended by it. I view it as saying: "I'm happy to speak your silly little language in the same way you do, but when it comes to words from my native country, let's never forget that I am from that country and you are not!" Quite often, the (Spanish origin) words are spoken in a clearly superior tone, with a clearly smug, superior attitude on the part of the speaker.

All they are doing is using correct pronunciation. I am mystified that you conclude that this is racist.

If a word is in Spanish or French or Latin or whatever, and it is used here by English spekaing people?

Pronouncing it as it was meant to be pronounced is the correct standard.

Nothing remotely racist about that, amigo.

Forum List

Back