Is This Racist?

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
Consider this hypothetical: An American-born and raised Hispanic person who speaks flawless English. If you were talking to this person over the phone, and did not otherwise know him/her, you would think you were talking to a caucasian who spoke perfect English without the slightest trace of an accent.

That is, until the person came to a word of Spanish or Mexican origin. Then, in speaking that word, they suddenly slip over into heavy, Hispanic pronunciation.

Here, in the Los Angeles area, there is a helicopter radio traffic person by the name of Jorge Jarrin. Jorge delivers his daily traffic messages without the slightest trace of accent until he comes to the names of streets with Spanish or Mexican origin. Then he suddenly becomes Senor Espana.

I see this a lot at work. The vast majority of the people in my office and in my court, are Hispanic. Not all of them do this, but many of them do.

I submit that this is racist. I am offended by it. I view it as saying: "I'm happy to speak your silly little language in the same way you do, but when it comes to words from my native country, let's never forget that I am from that country and you are not!" Quite often, the (Spanish origin) words are spoken in a clearly superior tone, with a clearly smug, superior attitude on the part of the speaker.

That's how I see it. How about you?

Consider this hypothetical: An American-born and raised Hispanic person who speaks flawless English. If you were talking to this person over the phone, and did not otherwise know him/her, you would think you were talking to a caucasian who spoke perfect English without the slightest trace of an accent.

That is, until the person came to a word of Spanish or Mexican origin. Then, in speaking that word, they suddenly slip over into heavy, Hispanic pronunciation.

Here, in the Los Angeles area, there is a helicopter radio traffic person by the name of Jorge Jarrin. Jorge delivers his daily traffic messages without the slightest trace of accent until he comes to the names of streets with Spanish or Mexican origin. Then he suddenly becomes Senor Espana.

I see this a lot at work. The vast majority of the people in my office and in my court, are Hispanic. Not all of them do this, but many of them do.

I submit that this is racist. I am offended by it. I view it as saying: "I'm happy to speak your silly little language in the same way you do, but when it comes to words from my native country, let's never forget that I am from that country and you are not!" Quite often, the (Spanish origin) words are spoken in a clearly superior tone, with a clearly smug, superior attitude on the part of the speaker.

"Huevos ranchero" sounds better when pronounced properly.

Nah dude its just having pride in one's heritage.

I think your being over sensitive to it on this particular issue.

Although there is this comcast ad that peeves me for some reason...let me find it.....if the ad was run in a spanish speaking country I wouldn't care but I dunno it feels weird seeing it in my living room

Last edited by a moderator:

The definition of "racism" is a belief in the superiority or inferiority of one race of homo sapiens over another.

This isn't racism.

However....everybody sounds, and feels, more confident speaking thier primary language.

I think you may be reading more into this than there is....and I wouldn't even let it bother me if he was trying to imply the superiority of Spanglish.

I speak fluent Italian. Speaking the Italian language in the same way as an English person, who is new to the language, would would make me sound like a retard to anyone who spoke Italian - this includes my mother and grandmother.

Why should I pronounce things in a way which would feel weird to me and make me sound like a dumb idiot to my family?

You're wrong. Get over it.

No, it's not racist at all. They 'slip back into it' because they are pronouncing the words correctly. You should hear how I butchered an order for something Mexican at Applebees once (can't remember what it was but it had several Mexican ingredients that I could choose from). lol, even I was embarrassed at how poorly I pronounced the items!

Ever watch Dexter? The Captain and one of the detectives are both Hispanic and they speak exactly as the reporter you described . . . no trace of accent until certain Hispanic words are said. It's not a big deal and certainly not racist.

No.

Until recently, I spent a good deal of time on the border. The white folks do the same thing to. Does not bother me at all.

That is how i see it too.

If you have not picked up on it yet George.... the lations are very racist.

The definition of "racism" is a belief in the superiority or inferiority of one race of homo sapiens over another.

This isn't racism.

However....everybody sounds, and feels, more confident speaking thier primary language.

I think you may be reading more into this than there is....and I wouldn't even let it bother me if he was trying to imply the superiority of Spanglish.

no. that isn't all that racism is. racism is hatred of members of a particular group regardless of the merits of the individual.

that said... i don't have a problem with people pronouncing things properly. they probably grew up hearing/saying the words spoken with spanish inflection.

No, I don't think this is racist.

However, I hate it when people use an accent on certain words, but it is not an accent of a language they know or have been particularly exposed to! I have a friend who says ricotta as though he wants to be speaking Italian, but as far as I know there's no Italian in his family. :) Actually, thinking on it, I don't know if there's any other words that he accents....for some reason that has always bothered the hell out of me! :lol:

You're an idiot.

No, I don't think this is racist.

However, I hate it when people use an accent on certain words, but it is not an accent of a language they know or have been particularly exposed to! I have a friend who says ricotta as though he wants to be speaking Italian, but as far as I know there's no Italian in his family. :) Actually, thinking on it, I don't know if there's any other words that he accents....for some reason that has always bothered the hell out of me! :lol:

:lmao:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjXXkBrGnd4]Brian Regan on Italians and Irish - YouTube[/ame]

Your OP has a clearly smug and clearly superior tone.

No, I don't think it's racist at all. I think it comes natural to pronounce the Spanish origin
names that way, the way it was pronounced in the home. His dad was the LA Dodgers Spanish broadcaster for a long time, BTW.

I hate going to Wal-Mart or just about anywhere else and hear all the Spanish being spoken. This is America. Speak English.

Forum List

Back