Is this racist?

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
I can't make my mind up about this.

Say you are working in a tractor store and someone of a different ethnic background comes in to buy something and they cop a superior attitude.

If you sell them the inferior tractor because their attitude annoyed you are you being racist?

Say you are working in a tractor store and someone of a different ethnic background comes in to buy something and they cop a superior attitude.

If you sell them the inferior tractor because their attitude annoyed you are you being racist?

Sounds to me like you are more anti-elitist than racist, but I suspect it would depend on why you really sold them the inferior tractor. Was it because of color or because the guy was an arrogant jackass?

Immie

You answered your own question. .....NO!

Sounds to me like you are more anti-elitist than racist, but I suspect it would depend on why you really sold them the inferior tractor. Was it because of color or because the guy was an arrogant jackass?

Immie
Because you believed their superior attitude stemmed from the color of your skin.

Immie
Because you believed their superior attitude stemmed from the color of your skin.

Then I would say it is racist.

If I thought they were being arrogant because they were politicians, then it would have nothing to do with racism. They would simply be arrogant pri... um, assholes.

Immie

It's possibly racist. The one fact you note is that the person has a different ethnic background; you are attributing a motive to their attitude, which is really just speculation.

That aside, you engaged in a dishonest bit of business which could be considered fraudulent if the customer communicated requirements and you recommended something you knew was inferior.

Need more info...

Is there a history of not liking people of a different ethnic background by the salesperson?

Also, can you define "inferior"? Is it a lower feature model or one that you know is defective?

Need more info...

Is there a history of not liking people of a different ethnic background by the salesperson?

Also, can you define "inferior"? Is it a lower feature model or one that you know is defective?
Lower feature.

There is a history of not liking people that cop a superior attitude by the salesperson.

Need more info...

Lower feature.

There is a history of not liking people that cop a superior attitude by the salesperson.

And a history of earning lower commissions than one could have if one were a friendlier salesperson without such a thin skin, no doubt.

Need more info...

Lower feature.

I don't know. All I know is that this person doesn't like being treated like an inferior being.

And a history of earning lower commissions than one could have if one were a friendlier salesperson without such a thin skin, no doubt.
Besides the point. Also, sometimes the more expensive tractors are not as good of a buy, depending.

Lower feature.

I don't know. All I know is that this person doesn't like being treated like an inferior being.

Then you can't make a racial judgement on this particular instance...

Historical beliefs by a person play into whether a present tense situation is or isn't racist... You know, whether there is or isn't an underlying racial bias...

Not knowing the history makes this just a poor decision by the salesperson, as the commission for the higher model is now lost because they don't like people with a 'tude...

I would suggest this person find a line of work that doesn't involve retail transactions or take a course on how to deal with difficult customers...

Besides the point. Also, sometimes the more expensive tractors are not as good of a buy, depending.

You said inferior, not "not as good of a buy".

And it is very much to the point. When a person goes through life with a hyper-aggrieved attitude which is looking for an insult or a diss from everyone he encounters, it is going to impact his overall success.

Historical beliefs by a person play into whether a present tense situation is or isn't racist... You know, whether there is or isn't an underlying racial bias...

Not knowing the history makes this just a poor decision by the salesperson, as the commission for the higher model is now lost because they don't like people with a 'tude...

I would suggest this person find a line of work that doesn't involve retail transactions or take a course on how to deal with difficult customers...
Fair enough, you gave your opinion. And though it is besides the point, sometimes the inferior product is actually more expensive.

Did the salesman look like this?
car-salesman.jpg

You said inferior, not "not as good of a buy".

And it is very much to the point. When a person goes through life with a hyper-aggrieved attitude which is looking for an insult or a diss from everyone he encounters, it is going to impact his overall success.
It is besides the point of the question, is this racist?

I respectfully disagree.

(see Post # 6).

It is possibly racist. If the hyper-aggrieved attitude is in reaction to people of different ethnic backgrounds, I'd call it racist.

Fair enough, you gave your opinion. And though it is besides the point, sometimes the inferior product is actually more expensive.
Can you give me an example of this?

Forum List

Back