is this overkill or should i just man up? (college related)

Liberty

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2009
colorado
im a junior in college and im taking a intro to sociology as a elective (Yes, being a conservative i hate the class to begin with, but that's not the point here) and we have a midterm next friday. This is the midterm (essay midterm):

"Below are sample questions from each chapter included in your mid-term. Please read them carefully, read your textbooks thoroughly*and be prepared to write 400-500 words for each essay*that will be selected for*this*exam.* You*will get two questions for each of the five chapters*in your actual exam, you will then have to choose any one of the two from each chapter. Therefore, you will end up writing a total of five*essays and around 2500 words in all.*"

So, she gives us samples of questions, and I try to churn out 400 words on them...questions like this:

"List and explain the seven steps in the scientific method." Easy right?

So, i try to get out 400+ words on it, and I have got to 327, with nothing more to say.

The other questions are so specific, compare and contrast two terms, etc. I just don't see that since the book doesnt give 400 words on the topic she wants us to write, how does she expect us to ADD to EVERYTHING the book said...

I don't know, is this overkill or should I man up?

Here's a thought. Use your own words and add what you think they are trying to say, or how you interpret what was written, or the aspects on __________of that chapter in society, etc. has affected you/mankind/whatever.

Be creative, not a bot!

Good Luck! :thup:

Here's a thought. Use your own words and add what you think they are trying to say, or how you interpret what was written, or the aspects on __________of that chapter in society, etc. has affected you/mankind/whatever.

Be creative, not a bot!

idk, hardcore for a 100 level class, my 300 level history classes are joke compared to this. Alright, I'll just man up I guess.

Be creative, not a bot!

idk, hardcore for a 100 level class, my 300 level history classes are joke compared to this. Alright, I'll just man up I guess.

Like I tell my daughter, the teacher is your "boss" and you have to do what she/he says, even if you may not like it. (Of course she is in 9th grade)

Just like you may have jobs where you don't like your boss, you're going to have teachers you don't like. She LOVES language arts, but can't stand her English teacher this year. Oh well, too bad. She is still going to do what the teacher asks of her, like it or not.

Man up! :D

im a junior in college and im taking a intro to sociology as a elective (Yes, being a conservative i hate the class to begin with, but that's not the point here) and we have a midterm next friday. This is the midterm (essay midterm):

"Below are sample questions from each chapter included in your mid-term. Please read them carefully, read your textbooks thoroughly*and be prepared to write 400-500 words for each essay*that will be selected for*this*exam.* You*will get two questions for each of the five chapters*in your actual exam, you will then have to choose any one of the two from each chapter. Therefore, you will end up writing a total of five*essays and around 2500 words in all.*"

So, she gives us samples of questions, and I try to churn out 400 words on them...questions like this:

"List and explain the seven steps in the scientific method." Easy right?

So, i try to get out 400+ words on it, and I have got to 327, with nothing more to say.

The other questions are so specific, compare and contrast two terms, etc. I just don't see that since the book doesnt give 400 words on the topic she wants us to write, how does she expect us to ADD to EVERYTHING the book said...

I don't know, is this overkill or should I man up?

Dont write more, stop at 327 words if thats all you need.

I used to have the same problem with my college papers. I remember one from the history of the kennedys through film (great class) where we were supposed to write 1,000 words about the cuban missle crisis from either the russian, american, or cuban standpoint.

I decided to be Fidel and I was all done after about 5 words :lol: no seriously though I had maybe 600 words but I summed up my thoughts and just passed it in. I got an A.

I had other business classes where it was supposed to be a 10-15 page paper yet I dissected a company for the professor in 8. I passed it in like that and again got an A.

As long as you answer the question asked completely you can be a little short or a little long.

The professor has to read a TON of papers, they might actually appreciate a concise one, as long as you answer all the questions asked fully.

Presto! And here we have the reason why most academics are such shit writers.

Rather than reward you for writing clearly, using an economy or creativity of language; rather than reward you for stating your ideas in the most effective way, our priests of petrified reason demand you inflict more useless terminology and repetitive phrases on this wonder of a language to reach that golden academic mean, the big 500 word hamburger-helper-buster-bluster.

May I offer a kind word of advise? (Read no further if the answer is no.) Once you leave university forget everything you have ever learned about writing; purge your soul and mind. Have a stiff belt of the booze of your choice, (or a bottle), and then face that computer screen as a man (or woman) born again.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back