Is this legal?

Nienna

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2005
Ohio
Is this legal?

You check a movie out of the library, then copy it to your hard drive on your home computer. You aren't selling it or renting it, but just watching it in your own home.

Since it's owned by the "public" library, does that count as ownership rights?

mom4 said:
Is this legal?

You check a movie out of the library, then copy it to your hard drive on your home computer. You aren't selling it or renting it, but just watching it in your own home.

Its ethical, imo, but I think it's not legal.

mom4 said:
Is this legal?

Did you have to rent the movie, or just check it out?

Probably not legal. Will you get caught though? Doubtful. Just after a quick search:

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap5.html

Which, nicely summarized:

Warning: Federal law provides severe civil and criminal penalties for the unauthorized reproduction, distribution, or exhibition of copyrighted motion pictures and video discs (Title 17, United States Code, Sections 501 and 506). The Federal Bureau of Investigation investigates allegations of criminal copyright infringement (Title 17, United States Code, Section 506).
Your library likely has a policy on it.

mom4 said:
Is this legal?

The copy is owned by the “public” library, not the copy rights.
So no, it’s not legal to copy it.

mom4 said:
Yeah, the word reproduction caught my eye.
Thanks!
The shitty thing is, they're using that wording to claim you don't even have the right to copy your OWN MOVIE.

mom4 said:
Is this legal?

you have violated federal copywright and trademark laws...will you be caught...not likely...small potatos...however you just went public with your ethical misnomer...I'm truly amazed when I see posts like this...most in here get on the bandwagon of conservative values...then admit to fudging on basic law and principle...heck do what feels good...then criticize others for being the messenger of bad news! Nothing personal here mom...i'm just really upset with some others in here who come across as if they are so righteous then accept anything they feel is just a "little cheating" kinda like most on taxes!

archangel said:
you have violated federal copywright and trademark laws...will you be caught...not likely...small potatos...however you just went public with your ethical misnomer...I'm truly amazed when I see posts like this...most in here get on the bandwagon of conservative values...then admit to fudging on basic law and principle...heck do what feels good...then criticize others for being the messenger of bad news! Nothing personal here mom...i'm just really upset with some others in here who come across as if they are so righteous then accept anything they feel is just a "little cheating" kinda like most on taxes!
Where does it say she did anything? Try comprehending in conjunction with reading before you start wagging your finger. She's admitted nothing.

The ClayTaurus said:
The shitty thing is, they're using that wording to claim you don't even have the right to copy your OWN MOVIE.
That I have a problem with. If I "BUY" a CD, DVD or software, IT'S mine to with with as I wish (IMO).

Mr. P said:
That I have a problem with. If I "BUY" a CD, DVD or software, IT'S mine to with with as I wish (IMO).
So you'd think. I posted an article about this a week or two ago, did you catch it? Such bullshit.

mom4 said:
Just check it out. No money involved unless it's late.

I'm no lawyer, but browsing the copyright laws, as long as you make the copy for your own use and since the owner of the copyright isn't harmed in any way by you making the copy, since you could just go to the library and check out the movie again for free, it appears that that form of reproduction is not prosecuteable.

Making a copy of a rental movie, where the copyright holder might be getting a cut of the rental fees would be a different matter.

MissileMan said:
I'm no lawyer, but browsing the copyright laws, as long as you make the copy for your own use and since the owner of the copyright isn't harmed in any way by you making the copy, since you could just go to the library and check out the movie again for free, it appears that that form of reproduction is not prosecuteable.

Making a copy of a rental movie, where the copyright holder might be getting a cut of the rental fees would be a different matter.
I have to agree. As long as you are not 'distributing' or 'selling' what you copy, no harm done.

MissileMan said:

Kathianne said:
I have to agree. As long as you are not 'distributing' or 'selling' what you copy, no harm done.
That's the logical assumption; however, the gears are rolling to make copying your own property illegal:

...the joint reply also argues that making backups of your CDs is also not fair use.

The [submitted arguments in favor of granting exemptions to the DMCA] provide no arguments or legal authority that making back up copies of CDs is a noninfringing use. In addition, the submissions provide no evidence that access controls are currently preventing them from making back up copies of CDs or that they are likely to do so in the future. Myriad online downloading services are available and offer varying types of digital rights management alternatives. For example, the Apple FairPlay technology allows users to make a limited number of copies for personal use. Presumably, consumers concerned with the ability to make back up copies would choose to purchase music from a service that allowed such copying. Even if CDs do become damaged, replacements are readily available at affordable prices. Similar to the motion picture industry, the recording industry has faced, in online piracy, a direct attack on its ability to enjoy its copyrights.
See: http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29377

The ClayTaurus said:
So you'd think. I posted an article about this a week or two ago, did you catch it? Such bullshit.
Yep, saw it...I have a $70 program here right now that I can only install on ONE puter. I have four in the house. I won't copy it, I won't sell it, it's just for my use...pisses me off.

Mr. P said:
Yep, saw it...I have a $70 program here right now that I can only install on ONE puter. I have four in the house. I won't copy it, I won't sell it, it's just for my use...pisses me off.
What program?

The ClayTaurus said:
Where does it say she did anything? Try comprehending in conjunction with reading before you start wagging your finger. She's admitted nothing.

where did I accuse her of saying' she' did this? I just answered her question from a technical point of view...she posed the question in the second person..and I answered it in the same! :cow:

Forum List

Back