Is this Judge Overboard?

No, if a guy lets potentially lethal animals loose on the public, even by accident, he has to be taught a lesson so he won't ever do it again. I'm sure he'll be replacing the latches on his fences and doors after this.

Hagbard Celine said:
No, if a guy lets potentially lethal animals loose on the public, even by accident, he has to be taught a lesson so he won't ever do it again. I'm sure he'll be replacing the latches on his fences and doors after this.

:clap: I agree strongly, and so will most parents. These are pit bulls here, known for being aggressive and unpredictable. We're not talkin lap dogs here.

I guess I am on the fence (no pun intended) on this.

As an former owner of dogs (Tim won't let me have one), I know that most dogs in general, aren't stupid. If they want to get out, they will find a way. It is up to the owner to prevent escape, however, occasionally, an animal will get out despite the prevention measures. Most dog breeds can be trained to stay in the yard without barriers. Some dog breeds just can't be. Escapes happen. Sometimes well before an owner notices. It has happened to me a few times. My dog Simba (may he rest in peace), would literally chew through a chain link dog kennel as a young dog. I am not kidding you. But he was eventually trained to stay in the yard prior to it being fenced. He was not dangerous in the least, but his size made him look like it. He was 1/2 German Shepherd, 1/2 ChowChow, and the color of wheat-he looked like a lion.

Now, the article looks like it says this is not the first time they have gotten loose, but I can't tell because it doesn't say it outright. If this is not the first time, and these dogs are dangerous, then the fine is justified. Just imagine the cost of one of the dogs biting/attacking other peoples pets, or even kids.

fuzzykitten99 said:

As an former owner of dogs (Tim won't let me have one), I know that most dogs in general, aren't stupid. If they want to get out, they will find a way. It is up to the owner to prevent escape, however, occasionally, an animal will get out despite the prevention measures. Most dog breeds can be trained to stay in the yard without barriers. Some dog breeds just can't be. Escapes happen. Sometimes well before an owner notices. It has happened to me a few times. My dog Simba (may he rest in peace), would literally chew through a chain link dog kennel as a young dog. I am not kidding you. But he was eventually trained to stay in the yard prior to it being fenced. He was not dangerous in the least, but his size made him look like it. He was 1/2 German Shepherd, 1/2 ChowChow, and the color of wheat-he looked like a lion.

Now, the article looks like it says this is not the first time they have gotten loose, but I can't tell because it doesn't say it outright. If this is not the first time, and these dogs are dangerous, then the fine is justified. Just imagine the cost of one of the dogs biting/attacking other peoples pets, or even kids.
No it wasn't the first time, and these were Pit Bulls trained to attack..The guy had a web site with pics of them attacking, training, he said it was a game. There is much more in the article too..I just didn't scan it..

BTW...this was the Max fine the Judge could impose.

Mr. P said:
No it wasn't the first time, and these were Pit Bulls trained to attack..The guy had a web site with pics of them attacking, training, he said it was a game. There is much more in the article too..I just didn't scan it..

BTW...this was the Max fine the Judge could impose.

Well then, do bad he couldn't have fined him more, these dogs could have mauled/killed a child.

By the way, do you think the judge was wrong??

Dogs belong on leashes any time they're outside.. Fenced in yard, or not..

Anything can happen.

Trigg said:
Well then, do bad he couldn't have fined him more, these dogs could have mauled/killed a child.

By the way, do you think the judge was wrong??
First the Judge was a she..Second, she's my wife, it wouldn't be smart to say I think she was wrong. :eek: ..But honestly, I think she was right.

Mr. P said:
First the Judge was a she..Second, she's my wife, it wouldn't be smart to say I think she was wrong. :eek: ..But honestly, I think she was right.
i think she was right also. not jsut casue they were pits, cause i think pits can be trained as well as any other canine species. but because they were trained to attack for the most part.
everyone see "pitbull" and automatically think killer. but headlines will sell if its something to the effect of "pits maul..." not if it was a cocker, or chihuahua youd never hear about it.

Johnney said:
i think she was right also. not jsut casue they were pits, cause i think pits can be trained as well as any other canine species. but because they were trained to attack for the most part.
everyone see "pitbull" and automatically think killer. but headlines will sell if its something to the effect of "pits maul..." not if it was a cocker, or chihuahua youd never hear about it.
Well, they were bread to be killers.

Hagbard Celine said:

You finally said something I can agree with. :clap:

I see where you're coming from, but if the dogs had mauled or killed a person, then the question would be why would anyone even have deadly animals in a residential area in the first place? I think fences can be made 100 percent dog-proof, it just takes a little extra effort.

Shattered said:

Anything can happen.

Disagree. My dog goes out in the yard without a leash. That's the purpose of the fence. A responsible owner would ensure it was in good repair.

Hagbard Celine said:
I see where you're coming from, but if the dogs had mauled or killed a person, then the question would be why would anyone even have deadly animals in a residential area in the first place? I think fences can be made 100 percent dog-proof, it just takes a little extra effort.
One of the neighbors testified that one of the dogs attacked her van and bit the bumper.
Residential is no place for these dogs..and certainly no place to train them to attack (people).

GunnyL said:
Disagree. My dog goes out in the yard without a leash. That's the purpose of the fence. A responsible owner would ensure it was in good repair.

Fences aren't foolproof.. Leashes aren't foolproof.. The combination of the two together is just a little bit safer, IMO...

Mr. P said:
First the Judge was a she..Second, she's my wife, .

See now...you could have warned people the judge in question is your wife. What if everyone had disagreed and said the sentence she handed down was nuts and how could she be so wrong??? Maybe a little warning next time...? :)

If this happends again can the dogs be removed from the man? Pit bulls arn't allowed inside the city limits of Detroit.

Why should Pits not be allowed inside city limits? It's the owners/trainers that are a problem.

Shattered said:

Anything can happen.

I love it when I'm walking in the park and a dog runs and jumps on me. The owner says, "Don't worry, he's friendly!"

I say, "I'M NOT FRIENDLY! GET THAT F@#$#@ING DOG AWAY FROM ME."

My other fave is when the brilliant owner lets out the length of leash when Fido is on the bike trail, just in time for Fido to run in front of my bike.

GunnyL said:

But your dogs aren't trained like these were. As Mr. P pointed out, the article stated that this was his profession, he trained these dogs.

Much more responsiblity of someone who does this for a living than if he just had a dog or two as a pet.

Anyone who owns a pet has a responsibility to their family, the pet itself, and the neighbors.

Mr. P - Your wife did the right thing. Bravo to her!

Trigg said:
See now...you could have warned people the judge in question is your wife. What if everyone had disagreed and said the sentence she handed down was nuts and how could she be so wrong??? Maybe a little warning next time...? :)

If this happends again can the dogs be removed from the man? Pit bulls arn't allowed inside the city limits of Detroit.

Nahh...your opinion of her ruling and opinion shouldn't have anything to do with the fact that she is married to someone on the board.

If I thought she was nuts, I would say so.

Forum List

Back