CDZ Is this image a problem for you? Does it disturb you?

so what exactly do you plan to do about the actual criminals who buy guns illegally?
so what exactly do you plan to do about the actual criminals who buy guns illegally?

Easy. Make it illegal to be a criminal.
LOL. Yes, that's what modern liberals believe. They'd rather pass new laws restricting rights than enforcing the laws already on the books.

Actually, that's what the nutters say - Just throw up our hands and give up.

Anyone old enough to remember when car makers said the same thing? They said seat belts and safety measures will not save lives. That was code for 'it will cost us money'.

NRA is now saying very close to the same thing, except they wave the flag and the constitution at the easily owned tee potty types. Yes 2aguy I'm looking at you.

It was effective for a while for car makers and it will ring the bell for the nutters until they're sick of stepping over hundreds of dead kids bodies to sell more guns to those who don't need them. Like cleverly disguised cupcake 2aguy

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
So then maybe you can tell me how restricting my right to own firearms will stop some piece of shit criminal from using an illegally obtained gun in the commission of a crime.

Who's restricting your right to own firearms?

New Jersey, New York, California, Washington State.... the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals, and the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals...and that is just off the top of my head....

LOL. Yes, that's what modern liberals believe. They'd rather pass new laws restricting rights than enforcing the laws already on the books.

Actually, that's what the nutters say - Just throw up our hands and give up.

Anyone old enough to remember when car makers said the same thing? They said seat belts and safety measures will not save lives. That was code for 'it will cost us money'.

NRA is now saying very close to the same thing, except they wave the flag and the constitution at the easily owned tee potty types. Yes 2aguy I'm looking at you.

It was effective for a while for car makers and it will ring the bell for the nutters until they're sick of stepping over hundreds of dead kids bodies to sell more guns to those who don't need them. Like cleverly disguised cupcake 2aguy

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
So then maybe you can tell me how restricting my right to own firearms will stop some piece of shit criminal from using an illegally obtained gun in the commission of a crime.

Who's restricting your right to own firearms?

The government

I cannot own certain semiautomatic rifles
I cannot own magazines of certain capacities

All in the vain attempt to stop gun crime

and has it worked

No.

Regulating guns is not the same as taking away your right to own guns.

Then requiring a tax in order to vote, and a literacy test in order to vote is not taking away the Right to Vote....Right?

And putting a fee or tax on guns, ammo, and training to the point that it is impossible for the poor to buy or own guns is not taking away a Right? Really?

Yes...it is...when the regulations make it impossible to exercise that Right...and we already have a Supreme Court decision on this ...so you are already done......

Murdock v. Pennsylvania 319 U.S. 105 (1943)

4. A State may not impose a charge for the enjoyment of a right granted by the Federal Constitution. P. 319 U. S. 113.

5. The flat license tax here involved restrains in advance the Constitutional liberties of press and religion, and inevitably tends to suppress their exercise. P. 319 U. S. 114.

6. That the ordinance is "nondiscriminatory," in that it applies also to peddlers of wares and merchandise, is immaterial. The liberties guaranteed by the First Amendment are in a preferred position. P. 319 U. S. 115.

7. Since the privilege in question is guaranteed by the Federal Constitution, and exists independently of state authority, the inquiry as to whether the State has given something for which it can ask a return is irrelevant. P. 319 U. S. 115.

8. A community may not suppress, or the State tax, the dissemination of views because they are unpopular, annoying, or distasteful. P. 319 U. S. 116.

------

Page 319 U. S. 108

The First Amendment, which the Fourteenth makes applicable to the states, declares that

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press . . ."

It could hardly be denied that a tax laid specifically on the exercise of those freedoms would be unconstitutional. Yet the license tax imposed by this ordinance is, in substance, just that.

For those of us not born and raised in the gun culture, this image seems to be rather ham handed stab at normalizing something I find disturbing.

As I,said, I,was not raised in a household with guns. I was not raised in a home that felt constantly threatened and in desperate need of protection by force of arms. I was not raised in a household where guns were romanticized.

I find that gun culture to be a hinderence to fully understanding the scourge of guns and senseless gunplay. A couple of housewives packing heat seems to me, at least, more than a little sad.

Happily I was raised to believe that a lack of knowledge does not aid understanding. What I find sad is your pride in your lack of knowledge and baseless fears.
What seems to you like pride is merely a rebuttal. The OP was picking a fight, as he is wont to do, when he asked 'does this disturb you'. I answered as honestly as possible. It does disturb me. Why women would feel it necessary to pack heat in their kitchen over coffee and conversation.

For those of us not born and raised in the gun culture, this image seems to be rather ham handed stab at normalizing something I find disturbing.

As I,said, I,was not raised in a household with guns. I was not raised in a home that felt constantly threatened and in desperate need of protection by force of arms. I was not raised in a household where guns were romanticized.

I find that gun culture to be a hinderence to fully understanding the scourge of guns and senseless gunplay. A couple of housewives packing heat seems to me, at least, more than a little sad.

Happily I was raised to believe that a lack of knowledge does not aid understanding. What I find sad is your pride in your lack of knowledge and baseless fears.
What seems to you like pride is merely a rebuttal. The OP was picking a fight, as he is wont to do, when he asked 'does this disturb you'. I answered as honestly as possible. It does disturb me. Why women would feel it necessary to pack heat in their kitchen over coffee and conversation.

I am curious....do you think that home invasions actually happen? Do you think that women are attacked in their homes? Do you think that the women who are attacked, and raped and murdered in their homes...knew that they were going to be attacked and raped when they woke up that day?

And here...

Is it better that they be raped and murdered, then that they use a gun to stop the rape and the murder?

I am curious....do you think that home invasions actually happen? Do you think that women are attacked in their homes? Do you think that the women who are attacked, and raped and murdered in their homes...knew that they were going to be attacked and raped when they woke up that day?

And here...

Is it better that they be raped and murdered, then that they use a gun to stop the rape and the murder?
I don't believe that home invasions are imminent nor common. Like house fires, they do exist. I also believe that being motivated by improbable fear also creates an atmosphere of undue paranoia. Add a firearm and tragic incidents can occur where a misunderstanding spins out of control.

Fear is a strong motivation for gun lovers. I chose to live in awareness, but not fear.

And here...

I don't believe that home invasions are imminent nor common. Like house fires, they do exist. I also believe that being motivated by improbable fear also creates an atmosphere of undue paranoia. Add a firearm and tragic incidents can occur where a misunderstanding spins out of control.

Fear is a strong motivation for gun lovers. I chose to live in awareness, but not fear.

Add a _____________ and tragedy can occur when a misunderstanding spins out of control.

Fill in the blank with anything

A knife
A hammer
A baseball bat
A fist

etc

The presence of a firearm does not escalate the potential for violence.

People are more than capable of being violent without a gun.

And here...

Add a _____________ and tragedy can occur when a misunderstanding spins out of control.

A knife
A hammer
A baseball bat
A fist

etc

Of all the implements you listed, consider the finality of a gun.

And here...

They do happen though...right? Can you tell us exactly where and when they are going to happen?

So far, the only ones motivated by fear are you and the other anti-gunners on this thread......you have a deep seated fear of normal people carrying guns....

Fear is a strong emotion....putting a gun on your hip for gun owners is just about the same as clipping on a cell phone. I personally doubt I will be a victim of a violent crime, living where I do...but I understand that it happens...and criminals target people where they think they can get away with their crimes......

Do you think Dr. Petit, the Tates, the Labianca's thought that the day they were brutally murdered was the day they would be brutally murdered? And these families didn't live in democrat city hell holes......and yet...their homes were invaded by monsters.....

Add a firearm and tragic incidents can occur where a misunderstanding spins out of control.

this notion, that normal, law abiding people will commit murder simply because they have a gun and get into an argument is not backed up by facts, reality or statistics.....as pointed out, those who commit actual murder, even from arguments....90% of the time they have long histories of crime and violence, going back to their teen years and earlier, and more than likely cannot buy, own or carry the gun they use......

And here...

A knife
A hammer
A baseball bat
A fist

etc

It is no less final than a knife, a bat or empty hands when they are used to murder people...the woman murdered by her husband with the 9.99 Walmart camping hatchet is just as dead.....as is the woman strangled by her rapist....

But....the woman murdered by her husband, and the woman murdered by her rapist....would stand a better chance of living if they had had a gun......

And here...

A knife
A hammer
A baseball bat
A fist

etc

All of those listed can kill

in fact fists an feet are used to kill more people every year than all rifles and shotguns combined

and why do you assume that every time a gun is fired a person dies?

And here...

They do happen though...right? Can you tell us exactly where and when they are going to happen?

So far, the only ones motivated by fear are you and the other anti-gunners on this thread......you have a deep seated fear of normal people carrying guns....

Fear is a strong emotion....putting a gun on your hip for gun owners is just about the same as clipping on a cell phone. I personally doubt I will be a victim of a violent crime, living where I do...but I understand that it happens...and criminals target people where they think they can get away with their crimes......

Do you think Dr. Petit, the Tates, the Labianca's thought that the day they were brutally murdered was the day they would be brutally murdered? And these families didn't live in democrat city hell holes......and yet...their homes were invaded by monsters.....

Add a firearm and tragic incidents can occur where a misunderstanding spins out of control.

this notion, that normal, law abiding people will commit murder simply because they have a gun and get into an argument is not backed up by facts, reality or statistics.....as pointed out, those who commit actual murder, even from arguments....90% of the time they have long histories of crime and violence, going back to their teen years and earlier, and more than likely cannot buy, own or carry the gun they use......
You rely on people being "normal" a lot. In my experience, normality ain't all it's cracked up to be.

James Madison said, "If men were angels, there would be no need for government."

The other qualifier you often cite is the "law abiding citizen". Yet another mask of normality. It could be argued that a citizen is a law abiding citizen, right up to the point he brandished a firearm during an argument.

Some see fists and baseball bats and knives as deadly weapons, as deadly as a handgun. But consider the designed uses for baseball bats and knives and fists. Then consider the designed purpose of a gun. Can this comparison then be taken seriously?

Of course there will be murders and murderers. Abel down through today bears this out. But I ask, how many of your personal acquaintances have been victims of home invasion? Then think of how many of your personal acquaintances have been the unfortunate victims of a house fire. I know of a few who have suffered fire, and one of my nieces died in a fire. But no one in my experience has been the victim of violent crime, of a home invasion, of a murder by any means.

That's my experience and I know that it only serves as anecdotal evidence. But as I said at the start, my home never had guns, nor did anyone celebrate guns. Are we woefully unprepared for violent crime? Without the presence of that threat and without the constant dread it may befall us, I firmly believe that your level of preparedness would cause us more hazard than the abstract fear itself.

And here...

A knife
A hammer
A baseball bat
A fist

etc

in fact fists an feet are used to kill more people every year than all rifles and shotguns combined

In fact? Think of the carnage of war, of gunplay in our inner cities, of suicides and murders.

Are people really kicking and stomping more folks to death than bullets?

And here...

You rely on people being "normal" a lot. In my experience, normality ain't all it's cracked up to be.

James Madison said, "If men were angels, there would be no need for government."

The other qualifier you often cite is the "law abiding citizen". Yet another mask of normality. It could be argued that a citizen is a law abiding citizen, right up to the point he brandished a firearm during an argument.

Some see fists and baseball bats and knives as deadly weapons, as deadly as a handgun. But consider the designed uses for baseball bats and knives and fists. Then consider the designed purpose of a gun. Can this comparison then be taken seriously?

Of course there will be murders and murderers. Abel down through today bears this out. But I ask, how many of your personal acquaintances have been victims of home invasion? Then think of how many of your personal acquaintances have been the unfortunate victims of a house fire. I know of a few who have suffered fire, and one of my nieces died in a fire. But no one in my experience has been the victim of violent crime, of a home invasion, of a murder by any means.

That's my experience and I know that it only serves as anecdotal evidence. But as I said at the start, my home never had guns, nor did anyone celebrate guns. Are we woefully unprepared for violent crime? Without the presence of that threat and without the constant dread it may befall us, I firmly believe that your level of preparedness would cause us more hazard than the abstract fear itself.

I know what you believe about "law abiding" but the actual research of hundreds of years of studying criminals and murder show you are wrong. Normal people do not commit murder simply because a gun is handy. The actual research...the actual truth shows that what you think about gun owners and violence is wrong.

JURIST - The Criminology of Firearms

In 2004, the National Academy of Sciences reviewed 253 journal articles, 99 books, 43 government publications and some empirical research of its own about guns. The Academy could not identify any gun restriction that had reduced violent crime, suicide or gun accidents.

Why don't gun bans work? Because they rely on voluntary compliance by gun-using criminals. Prohibitionists never see this absurdity because they deceive themselves into thinking that, as Katherine Christoffel has said: "[M]ost shootings are not committed by felons or mentally ill people, but are acts of passion that are committed using a handgun that is owned for home protection."

Christoffel, et al., are utterly wrong. The whole corpus of criminological research dating back to the 1890'sshows murderers "almost uniformly have a long history of involvement in criminal behavior," and that "[v]irtually all" murderers and other gun criminals have prior felony records — generally long ones.

While only 15 percent of Americans have criminal records, roughly 90 percent of adult murderers have prior adult records — exclusive of their often extensive juvenile records — with crime careers of six or more adult years including four major felonies.

Gerald D. Robin, writing for the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences,notes that, unlike ordinary gun owners, "the average murderer turns out to be no less hardened a criminal than the average robber or burglar."

Public Health and Gun Control --- A Review (Part II: Gun Violence and Constitutional Issues) | Hacienda Publishing

Another favorite view of the gun control, public health establishment is the myth propounded by Dr. Mark Rosenberg, former head of the NCIPC of the CDC, who has written: "Most of the perpetrators of violence are not criminals by trade or profession. Indeed, in the area of domestic violence, most of the perpetrators are never accused of any crime. The victims and perpetrators are ourselves --- ordinary citizens, students, professionals, and even public health workers."(6)

That statement is contradicted by available data, government data.

The fact is that the typical murderer has had a prior criminal history of at least six years with four felony arrests in his record before he finally commits murder.

And here...

A knife
A hammer
A baseball bat
A fist

etc

In fact? Think of the carnage of war, of gunplay in our inner cities, of suicides and murders.

Suicide....do you realize that non gun suicide had a higher number than gun suicide two years running...and that the difference between the two is not much all the other years?

Gun suicide..

Leading Causes of Death | WISQARS | Injury Center | CDC

Gun suicide...

Non Gun suicide...

========================

The gun play in our inner cities? It isn't law abiding gun owners doing the shooting....90% of the shooters are criminals who already can't buy, own or carry the guns they are using, and 70-80% of their victims are simply other criminals engaged in the criminal lifestyle...or their friends and family caught up in the violence....

So...in 2015 there were 9,616 gun murders....if you take out 80% of the criminal victims.....that leaves 1,932 actual, innocent victims of gun crime....and again, some of those are freinds and family of the criminals...

1,932 innocent victims of gun crime.....out of a country of 320,000,000 people.

Cars accidentally killed 36,161 people......

Americans use guns 1,500,000 times a year to stop the carnage you are talking about..the rapes, robberies and murders....taking guns away from those people just makes another 1,500,000 people victims of rape, robbery and murder....

This is why your opinions on guns are seen as irrational...the numbers do not back up what you believe or post......

Why women would feel it necessary to pack heat in their kitchen over coffee and conversation

What makes you assume that these woman feel anything is "necessary"? People can't do things just because they want to?
What makes you assume that these women are not LEO's and required to be armed 24/7? I think you're projecting your own fear of the unknown onto them and that makes you responsible for your own disturbance.

Why women would feel it necessary to pack heat in their kitchen over coffee and conversation

What makes you assume that these woman feel anything is "necessary"? People can't do things just because they want to?
What makes you assume that these women are not LEO's and required to be armed 24/7? I think you're projecting your own fear of the unknown onto them and that makes you responsible for your own disturbance.

Notice, all of those anti gunners here are not commenting on the other thread in the CDZ, the one that actually challenges them to defend their belief that it is better that these women be raped, robbed and murdered than to stop it with a gun........they always refuse to defend that position....

And here...

A knife
A hammer
A baseball bat
A fist

etc

Yes those people causing the carnage in the inner cities get their guns illegally because they are ineligible to buy guns.

So tell me how does restricting my rights stop those people from doing what they do?

You are relying on the flawed default position of gun control freaks that every gun owner is a potential mass murderer simply because he owns guns.

Using that logic I could argue that all men a potential rapists because they all have a penis or that all parents are potential child abusers because they have children or that all people who have alcohol in their homes are potential drunk drivers and because of that they all should have their rights restricted.

And suicide is a nonissue. Suicide is not a crime it is a choice and just as many people if not more commit suicide without a gun as those who do with a gun.

What you can't seem to understand is that I am not responsible for every crime committed with a gun simply because I happen to own guns.

I think we, as a nation, need to consider another aspect of this debate.

Suppose for a moment, if you will, that all the laws that the left wants pertaining to guns are enacted, and our 2nd Amendment rights are curtailed. What next? What right would then be challenged? Criminals, by definition, will not care what laws are in place, they will do as they wish. Therefore, there will be little, if any, positive impact on crime. Want proof? Look at the crime stats for the UK for example.

Another right that is already under attack in the 1st. Yes, I said it, the 1st is under attack and has been for some time. Don't believe me? Well, how else would you describe "hate crime" laws but an attack on the 1st Amendment right to free speech? Yet, the left holds these laws up as an example of "how far we've come". Yes, trampling on the first two amendments is great progress. Thanks alot.

I think we, as a nation, need to consider another aspect of this debate.

Suppose for a moment, if you will, that all the laws that the left wants pertaining to guns are enacted, and our 2nd Amendment rights are curtailed. What next? What right would then be challenged? Criminals, by definition, will not care what laws are in place, they will do as they wish. Therefore, there will be little, if any, positive impact on crime. Want proof? Look at the crime stats for the UK for example.

Another right that is already under attack in the 1st. Yes, I said it, the 1st is under attack and has been for some time. Don't believe me? Well, how else would you describe "hate crime" laws but an attack on the 1st Amendment right to free speech? Yet, the left holds these laws up as an example of "how far we've come". Yes, trampling on the first two amendments is great progress. Thanks alot.

There was already a period in human history where guns did not even exist.....and during that time, the strong enslaved the weak, and raped and murdered their way to power......it wasn't until guns came along that civilization was able to push back the barbarians and create more peace.....

Forum List

Back