Is this Death Penalty movie worth watching?

tflon

Rookie
Jan 24, 2005
OK so one of my gung ho activist-type friends just sent me (and
everyone she knows!) an email about an upcoming Court TV movie that is
supposed to be really moving, good, important, and yada yada. Her
organization is spreading the word, partly because death penalty was
front page news this week. I'll spare you the whole email (It's like
two pages!), but I just cut and paste the main details...

Court TV Premieres Original Movie "The Exonerated" Thursday, January
27th at 9 pm. STAR-STUDDED CAST FEATURES SUSAN SARANDON, DANNY GLOVER,
AIDAN QUINN, BRIAN DENNEHY, DELROY LINDO AND INTRODUCES DAVID BROWN,
JR. The Exonerated premiere will air commercial-free...the cinematic
adaptation of the award-winning off-Broadway play of the same name
focuses on the stories of six innocent people who spent years on death
row before being set free.

So the thing is that it looks really interesting and I love the topic
and most of the actors, but the thing is although Susan Sarandon is a
great actress, she kind of rubs me the wrong way. I don't know why. I
mean, I'm really glad she's active, but she and her husband seem so
smug about it. Does anyone out there agree/know what I'm talking about?
Sometimes I think outspoken members of the Hollywood community do more
harm than good!!

Sir Evil said:
Seeing that Sarandon is in it is enough for me to have no interest, she and her husband are real good at blabbing on about stuff instead of realizing that they should be making movies for entertainment purposes. I'm sure the message will be totally against the death penalty which there is nothing wrong with if that's how they feel but I'm sure they would change their tunes as soon as someone close to them is a victim of a brutal crime of some sort.
Unfortunately many times the system fails and the wrong person is convicted, this really is a shame but they should be converting their energies into making the system better instead of trying to abolish it. Without the death penalty I think the murder rates go up. Just my two cents! :D

Her husband was one of my favorite actors until he started into his political adventures. I wish they would avoid insulting my political affiliations and therefore insulting myself before they started asking me to watch their movies and give them money.

no1tovote4 said:
Her husband was one of my favorite actors until he started into his political adventures. I wish they would avoid insulting my political affiliations and therefore insulting myself before they started asking me to watch their movies and give them money.

I couldn't agree with you more. Tim Robbins was fantastic in the Shawshank Redemption, but when he started on his vitreolic, liberal politics, I was really disappointed.

I don't watch movies with Sarandon, Sean Penn, Robins, and a number of others because of their, Anti-America views.

It was a difficult decision, but something(conscience) inside, told me I had to do this. I will not support these actors or actresses via movie tickets, movie rentals, HBO, Cinemax, Showtime.........etc.

That Sean Penn/Sarandon movie where Penn was a condemned, death row, prisoner about to be executed, was enough for me. They're subliminal, often overt, but mostly covert the way they try to push/shove their political, anti-biblical, anti-American philosophys on the American people and the world.

Regards, Eightballsidepocket

Sir Evil said:
<b>Seeing that Sarandon is in it is enough for me to have no interest, she and her husband are real good at blabbing on about stuff instead of realizing that they should be making movies for entertainment purposes. </b> I'm sure the message will be totally against the death penalty which there is nothing wrong with if that's how they feel but I'm sure they would change their tunes as soon as someone close to them is a victim of a brutal crime of some sort.
Unfortunately many times the system fails and the wrong person is convicted, this really is a shame but they should be converting their energies into making the system better instead of trying to abolish it. Without the death penalty I think the murder rates go up. Just my two cents! :D
you beat me to it! i cant stand her or robbins politically. but at least tim makes decent movies. and dont get me started on penn. couldnt stand him in his younger day and still cant to this date.

Eightball said:
I couldn't agree with you more. Tim Robbins was fantastic in the Shawshank Redemption, but when he started on his vitreolic, liberal politics, I was really disappointed.

I don't watch movies with Sarandon, Sean Penn, Robins, and a number of others because of their, Anti-America views.

It was a difficult decision, but something(conscience) inside, told me I had to do this. I will not support these actors or actresses via movie tickets, movie rentals, HBO, Cinemax, Showtime.........etc.

That Sean Penn/Sarandon movie where Penn was a condemned, death row, prisoner about to be executed, was enough for me. They're subliminal, often overt, but mostly covert the way they try to push/shove their political, anti-biblical, anti-American philosophys on the American people and the world.

Regards, Eightballsidepocket

Yeah I do the same, and sometimes that's not easy. I enjoyed Sarandon and Robbins in Bull Durham, and I actually did like Dead Man Walking. I thought it was an incredible picture, very emotional. But I won't watch or rent anything with Sarandon, Robbins, Penn, Pitt, Clooney (sorry, no Ocean's 12 for me!), Paltrow, Gylenhaal (sp)..etc,etc...I made my list of the idiot actors who spoke out against George Bush during the 2004 campaign. They won't get one red dime from moi. (Only exception - Mytic River, but only cuz our Republican pal Clinty-boy directed it!(
Why can't they just shut up and ACT! Or SING! Bruce Springsteen???? Born it the USA!??! Move to France you idiot! :moon4:

The movie has taken a page from Michael Moore....and stretches the truth, by insinuating that several of those who they claim are "exonerated" have actually plea bargained for lesser prison sentences, and are still convicted murderers....

It is a bunch of crap! Make the police and the prosecutors look incompetent, and undeservedly so.

I would recommend boycotting any manufacturers who advertise during this show!

Forum List

Back