Is this an Islam thing, or a Liberia thing?...

Thx, hj.

I don't know if it's an Islam thing or a Liberian thing.

If you believe the Liberian Ambassador what happened is not the norm for there and I can say that I have talked to Muslims who don't think this way.

Fortunately, their "shame" doesn't make what happened any less illegal. In this case our country's laws trump their "15th century culture."

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...ault23-ON.html

^The 8 Year Old Brought Shame on her Father for being Raped...

I Love Cultures that are Living in the 15th Century... In OUR Country...

peace...

It's more than an Islam thing, unfortunately. A lot of people will blame the victim in situations like this. I would go into more detail but I got slammed last time I brought up anything like this so I'm going to stay quiet. :)

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

peace...

This isn't rational at all, but I might understand the "tough guy" place, in the gut, where it comes from. The whole "why wasn't I there to stop it" Superman phenomena. As if you should be everywhere at everytime protecting your women....obviously not....but you may still feel shame/fault for not just as a natural, irrational reaction.

As a part of the refugee orientation program, he said, his group touches upon the laws in the United States, but the most immediate goal for refugees and organizations that help them is finding employment and places to live.

It seems there should be a long and tough class on American laws and on what happens to you when you don't abide by them. I know this sort of thing is rather rare, but it does happen - I have heard of a case here in Sweden - and I thought of the same 'solution' (well, I don't think it would solve it completely) - and that is to really impress it on them that even though this country is welcoming them with open arms, it wants something in exchange - them recognizing that our laws trump their customs. They can then freely decide whether they are so close to their customs they'd rather go back to their country and be part of some collateral damage, or live peacefully in another country.

I know this sounds a bit tough, especially since I'm almost ceaselessly on the side of immigrants, refugees, etc., but this sort of shit gets my blood boiling and it needs to be dealt with decisively, not just some half-assed bullshit way.

What ideas do you have about it?

PS: I am NOT going to engage in the half-wit 'is it a Liberia thing or a Muslim thing' because that will not solve anything and it will only end up in name-calling, further hatred, and stereotyping.

Last edited:
Nesher, refer to my post for what (I believe) is their original motivation, because every culture when you sit down and try and understand where their customs come from has a (sort of, at least half-cocked) reason behind them.

We should try and understand the idea's origins when attempting to find a solution to turn it around.

Nesher, refer to my post for what (I believe) is their original motivation, because every culture when you sit down and try and understand where their customs come from has a (sort of, at least half-cocked) reason behind them.

We should try and understand the idea's origins when attempting to find a solution to turn it around.

That sounds really noble, but in cases where a girl is considered to be a shamer of a family because "she got herself raped"... there's not an ounce of me that cares about where that sick shit came from. It's just sick and all we have to tell the refugees is that since WE think it's sick, they're gonna HAVE to subject themselves to our opinions and laws. And what else: tough fucking luck. And if they're really opposed to that, maybe they can seek refuge somewhere else. Or go back home.

How about that one?

A little example, if you're a refugee from the USA in Sweden. You're gonna have to give up your right to bear arms. Period. Is anyone gonna have a long intellectual discussion about it with you - arguing and explaining why? Nah. Because now you're in Sweden and you WILL subject to Swedish laws and customs. Howgh.

Last edited:

That sounds really noble, but in cases where a girl is considered to be a shamer of a family because "she got herself raped"... there's not an ounce of me that cares about where that sick shit came from. It's just sick and all we have to tell the refugees is that since WE think it's sick, they're gonna HAVE to subject themselves to our opinions and laws. And what else: tough fucking luck. And if they're really opposed to that, maybe they can seek refuge somewhere else. Or go back home.

How about that one?

A little example, if you're a refugee from the USA in Sweden. You're gonna have to give up your right to bear arms. Period. Is anyone gonna have a long intellectual discussion about it with you - arguing and explaining why? Nah. Because now you're in Sweden and you WILL subject to Swedish laws and customs. Howgh.

I didn't read the OP as the girl being a shamer. I read it as that if she gets raped, her father gets shame.

That's what lead me to my tough guy, "I should have been there," theory, as to where the shame even comes from.

It doesn't say it brings shame on the girl. Maybe I don't know how to read.

How about that one?

I didn't read the OP as the girl being a shamer. I read it as that if she gets raped, her father gets shame.

That's what lead me to my tough guy, "I should have been there," theory, as to where the shame even comes from.

It doesn't say it brings shame on the girl. Maybe I don't know how to read.

It said that she brought shame on the family.

It said that she brought shame on the family.

I think it means her being raped, brought shame on the father. Not "her" but the fact she was raped, and the "shame" coming from his "guilt," of not being there. An un-realistic expectation for a dad to be there 110% of the time as protector, but if this is where the source of "shame" is, I can understand it. I don't agree with it, but I understand it.

My lil brother got beat up once by these punks. I felt ashamed I wasn't there to save him. I read it as that sort of thing, could always be wrong though but if I'm right I can see their point of view.

peace...

where did you get the Islam connection? i can't find anything that mentions the religion of any of those involved, even when i link to your article.

since more liberians are christian than muslim, using your logic, you'd have to ask: Is this a Christian thing? the answer is no, in case you are wondering, you stupid baiting asshole.

Last edited:

peace...

It's more than an Islam thing, unfortunately. A lot of people will blame the victim in situations like this. I would go into more detail but I got slammed last time I brought up anything like this so I'm going to stay quiet. :)

I can't Imagine an American Born, Non-Islamic Father Blaming his 8 Year Old for being Raped by (4) Boys...

It's that kind of Absurdity that is Exclusive to Islam in our Century.

:)

peace...

peace...

I can't Imagine an American Born, Non-Islamic Father Blaming his 8 Year Old for being Raped by (4) Boys...

It's that kind of Absurdity that is Exclusive to Islam in our Century.

:)

peace...

Why are you trying to fake non-bias in your OP instead of saying flat out what you really think? You don't really care about any discussion, you just like to point fingers and draw blood. It's funny that a guy like you goes:

" :) peace"

after every piece of bullshit he spews...

Cut the crap, hate-monger - at least be honest about your intent.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back