IS this a virus? strange email

sarahgop

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2009
Dear AOL User,

We found out that your AOL Billing information's records are out of date.
This requires an update of your billing information. Please take several minutes from your online experience and update your billing records. You will not have any problems in future with our online services.
However, your refusal to update your records will be finished in your account termination.
Please update your records right now.
As you have updated your account records your AOL session will not be interrupted.

Please click the link below to update your billing records: click here

Thank you very much for your cooperation!
AOL Customer Support

Please note: This e-mail message was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Thanks for using AOL,

The AOL Member Services Team

i got that from AOL but i dont pay for AOL and havent gotten a bill from them for several years. i switched to cox cable but i still have a free aol email account. if i click on "click here" will i regret it or is this a real email from aol?

You will regret it in so many ways.

They are trying to harvest your personal information in order to rob you. Attached to this kind of email are things like keystroke loggers.

There are so many good reasons to leave it alone, and none to click on it.

i used to use aol. thanks for the advice. i will delete it

Dear AOL User,

We found out that your AOL Billing information's records are out of date.
This requires an update of your billing information. Please take several minutes from your online experience and update your billing records. You will not have any problems in future with our online services.
However, your refusal to update your records will be finished in your account termination.
Please update your records right now.
As you have updated your account records your AOL session will not be interrupted.

Please click the link below to update your billing records: click here

Thank you very much for your cooperation!
AOL Customer Support

Please note: This e-mail message was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Thanks for using AOL,

The AOL Member Services Team

i got that from AOL but i dont pay for AOL and havent gotten a bill from them for several years. i switched to cox cable but i still have a free aol email account. if i click on "click here" will i regret it or is this a real email from aol?

I never got anything like this...I doubt they will charge for the AIM. Maybe it is a virus?

You probably know all this, but it's worth keeping in mind...
:cool:
10 Tips for Safe Computing
October 29, 2011 | Today, we are more dependent on computers and the information that they store than ever before. From spyware, viruses, and Trojans to identity theft and computer hardware malfunctions —any disruption can have a huge impact on our lives. No matter how savvy the user, safe computing practices are a combination of physical protections using computer software and security settings and the secure actions of the user. You need both to make a difference. Below are 10 tips that will help you protect your computer and ultimately the information stored on it.
1. Keep your computer updated: In the evolving world of software viruses, it is essential that computer owners use anti-virus software and keep it up-to-date. Most anti-virus software gives the user the ability to do automatic updates. Whether individuals choose to update their operating system software automatically or manually, we recommend making it a continuous process. It is also important to keep other software on your computer updated. Software updates often include essential bug fixes and security features that address existing vulnerabilities. Finally, enable the personal firewall on your computer. This will help to keep unauthorized people from snooping around your computer when it’s connected to the Internet.

2. Create strong, secure passwords

There is power in strong passwords. We recommend passwords that contain at least 8 characters with a combination of letters, numbers and symbols. Strong passwords are less likely to be hacked than very generic passwords. Use creative pass-phases to avoid having to write down a password. Do not share your passwords with anyone.

3. Download files legally

Along with the possibility of significant legal penalties, downloading music and movies from peer-to-peer networks can be harmful to your machine. These downloaded files are sometimes riddled with viruses and spyware.

4. Keep personal information safe

Reduce your risk of identity theft. Never share your personal information via email, no matter how official the email looks. Official business that requires personal information should not happen via unsecured email.

5. Scan email attachments and validate links

Read more: 10 Tips For Safe Computing | Fox News

Forum List

Back