Is there such thing as meritocracy today?

Aristotle

Sep 9, 2012
In the racial discussion there has always been this disdain for affirmative action based on so-called "principled objections." With respect on this matter, there is very few people, on this board and outside of it that live by the ideology of principled-conservatism--that is, "the contemporary argument over race at its core, is a political argument." Without getting heavily involved in whether who agrees or disagrees with affirmative action, I will say (in my opinion) that most opponents against the idea, of what researchers would call "general group-dominance" which means that societies tend to be organized as hierarchies of groups, differing in power and status, and politics is a competition between groups over scarce material and symbolic resources, and that dominant groups often rely on a variety of collective representations (e.g racism and individualism).

Most often people here say "why can't they get in on their own merit?" What is merit? How do we define merit in a corporate world where "one hand washes the other?" What about the Bernad Madoffs, and others who have made gains off others? Where is their merit? Despite how corporate chiefs attain wealth and power it is now revealed to us in a series of scandalous events, that getting into a particular successful position may not be based on merit.

Within my own field there are those in the medical field that get into positions over others based on "who they know." There are some that get into college based on having a family member in office, despite having poor grades. There are women who have sexual relations with their Chief Operations Officer just to attain a special status in their field. None of the aforementioned has anything to do with merit, or demonstrable proof of their ability to successfully complete their designated task (or goal).

As an adult now, I was always taught, "it ain't what you know, its who you know." Seems to me that getting into positions of power is not about what you know or how hard you work.

"Need" seems to have replaced meritocracy as the standard for reward..................

Imagine that

We have a capitalist economy, and that tends to eliminate any budding "meritocracy" that might arise. It took me years of hard work to understand that hard work is no key to success. Knowing the "right" people is the key to success. In some ways, hard work can impede success by distraction.

You mentioned affirmative action. You would call me a "liberal," I suppose, because I loath most modern "tea baggers;" they are social conservatives that should never leave the farm. I am, however, conservative by nature; since there is no real political home for me in the U.S., I tend to vote for moderate Democratic candidates like Obama.

Anyway, I oppose affirmative action. In fact, I oppose any and all references to race on public documents. I think we contribute to racial discord when the Census Bureau asks for "race" when it surveys the population. Why is there a "race" box on employment forms? THAT, to me, represents racism in its purest form.

Meritocracy is a concept only as it applies to the lowest common denominator. The best is qualified only to be the least considered. This isn't a meritocracy, but an ineptocracy where the worst and least qualified hold the most superior positions.

Meritocracy is a concept only as it applies to the lowest common denominator. The best is qualified only to be the least considered. This isn't a meritocracy, but an ineptocracy where the worst and least qualified hold the most superior positions.

It seems that way sometimes.

So what about the corporate world where as I mentioned before "one hand washes the other?"

We have a capitalist economy, and that tends to eliminate any budding "meritocracy" that might arise. It took me years of hard work to understand that hard work is no key to success. Knowing the "right" people is the key to success. In some ways, hard work can impede success by distraction.

You mentioned affirmative action. You would call me a "liberal," I suppose, because I loath most modern "tea baggers;" they are social conservatives that should never leave the farm. I am, however, conservative by nature; since there is no real political home for me in the U.S., I tend to vote for moderate Democratic candidates like Obama.

Anyway, I oppose affirmative action. In fact, I oppose any and all references to race on public documents. I think we contribute to racial discord when the Census Bureau asks for "race" when it surveys the population. Why is there a "race" box on employment forms? THAT, to me, represents racism in its purest form.

I see your point, and as you said in the bold, you would be considered a principled-conservative.

So what about the corporate world where as I mentioned before "one hand washes the other?"

I spent my life in the corporate world. You work hard and as you work hard you concurrently work into those areas where your hard work will come to the attention of others. After all, seriously, no one is going to consider the janitor for anything other than janitor no matter how hard he mops the floor. I started out cleaning toilets. I worked very hard. Had I not advanced and gone to law school myself, I would have been a hard working cleaning woman to this day. Thinking to yourself how great you are, is not a method for advancement.

Today, the corporate world is where you have your best chance. Only the very least qualified is qualified for government service. Of course today, the scope of that corporate world had better include foreign enterprise and they are not convinced by how hard you work at the job you are doing, but how hard you are working at the job you want to advance to.

I spent my life in the corporate world. You work hard and as you work hard you concurrently work into those areas where your hard work will come to the attention of others. After all, seriously, no one is going to consider the janitor for anything other than janitor no matter how hard he mops the floor. I started out cleaning toilets. I worked very hard. Had I not advanced and gone to law school myself, I would have been a hard working cleaning woman to this day. Thinking to yourself how great you are, is not a method for advancement.

Today, the corporate world is where you have your best chance. Only the very least qualified is qualified for government service. Of course today, the scope of that corporate world had better include foreign enterprise and they are not convinced by how hard you work at the job you are doing, but how hard you are working at the job you want to advance to.

Not so sure about the second bold, but to the first highlighted one, you've made a personal decision to obtain a JD (I assume you have one), but even with your goal to advance to law school and even after that, there is no guarantee that your hard work in law school would amount to you advancing to whatever career you choose. The point I'm making is that in the corporate world like other areas I was always under the impression that in "order to get along, you have to go along." I am sure in certain occupational sections of society one's know-how of a particular job or skill does not necessitate that he or she is perfect for the job. As I alluded earlier, it would seem that you need to know the right people.

If one hand washes the other part of your job is to make sure you are the one holding the soap. Did you really think you could show up every day, put in your nine to five and think you should get somewhere? It is never gonna happen.

Forum List

Back