Is there such a thing as a lie?

What constitutes a lie to you?

A lie is anything that contradicts an absolute truth. Lies can only be measures against absolute truth.

Absolute truth...well that is a topic that I believe will not go well on message boards, especially this one.

If something is not an absolute truth, it is possible it can be true some of the time, but not always.

Some things we as humans cannot seem to agree upon, however, absolute truth will win everytime.

On message boards, too often lies are whatever is apposed to or in disagreement with one's own opinion.

Someome posted a claim that I wished someone dead.

I then asked them to prove I said it.

They could not because I never posted it.

The entire right side of the site came to his defense and refused to acknowledge the person had lied about what I said.

I just dont see how this country is going to be better with people who refuse truth having any control.

The entire right side of the site came to his defense and refused to acknowledge the person had lied about what I said.

I just dont see how this country is going to be better with people who refuse truth having any control.

My guess is that they were all just giving you a hard time . . . cause they can. :)

Now......is that the truth?

Theres a couple of definitions.

I was hoping all side could agree on what a lie was but it seems our country is in even bigger trouble than I thought.

We have an entire group of people who do not know what a lie is.

Yes. They're called politicians!

Is this statement a lie or truth?

Pointing out a lie someone told means you wish them dead.

aha trick question----that's not a statement because it was typed -not spoken.

try again TM :lol:
a message that is stated or declared; a communication (oral or written) setting forth particulars or facts etc; "according to his statement he was ...

• argument: a fact or assertion offered as evidence that something is true; "it was a strong argument that his hypothesis was true"
In logic a statement is a declarative sentence that is either true or false. Strawson however advocated the use of the term statement (in preference to proposition) and for it to be such that two declarative sentences make the same statement if they say the same of the same thing.

:eusa_whistle:

Now......is that the truth?

Still waiting for an answer.

Not one person on the right would admitt it was a lie.

At the time that was the entire right on the site at that momment.

Not one was willing to speak the truth.

They proved to me just how partisan the right wing bas is.

This country will suffer due to their emotional failings.

The right wing base is incapable of putting facts and truth over party.

They LIE about global warming science.

They lie about the Bush record.

They lie about the people on the left.

They lied about WMDs and AQ ties.

They lied about WP in falughia.

They lied about a CIA agent.

They lied about ACORN.

the list just goes on and on.

The current right wing base depends on lies to maintain the failed ideas of their party.

Theres a couple of definitions.

I was hoping all side could agree on what a lie was but it seems our country is in even bigger trouble than I thought.

We have an entire group of people who do not know what a lie is.

You're right. So why dont you figure it out and fix your life accordingly and leave us the heck alone.

A lie seeks an audience. A lie wish to be believed. A lie discloses nonsense. A lie blinds the seeing. A lie deafens the ears. A lie is not "what is" but "what some wishes to be".

A lie slanders reality.

A lie is a form of envy when applied to people.
A Lie is a form of insanity when applied to reason.
A Lie is a form of arrogance when applied to justice.

So, What good is a lie?--What good is any immorality?
Simple, It provides comfort to the immoral!!

How dumb of me.--I just realized the following

There are two posters that use truth as part of their name.

Truthmatters and Truthspeaker. I tend to confuse the two. I honestly thought I was responding to Truthspeaker.

Hey, TM, why are there so many people gunning for you?? I guess politics is actually more divisive than religion because TS is a pretty cool beliver in my book. But a whole bunch of right wingers have come to crucify TM on the R and E board!!

How dumb of me.--I just realized the following

There are two posters that use truth as part of their name.

Truthmatters and Truthspeaker. I tend to confuse the two. I honestly thought I was responding to Truthspeaker.

Hey, TM, why are there so many people gunning for you?? I guess politics is actually more divisive than religion because TS is a pretty cool beliver in my book. But a whole bunch of right wingers have come to crucify TM on the R and E board!!

I think it's because she makes the mistake of using declarative statements in almost every post using highly questionable facts or suspect logic.

Forum List

Back