Is there redemption for a POS machine

Sep 12, 2008
I got a wintel two years ago that has had steady degredation issues from the time I got it. It is a Lenovo 3000.

It is slow to start up
It crashes all the time
It seems short of memory and hard drive space

Should I just take it to the recycler, or is there hope by changing memory, hard drive and putting in Windows 7?

I got a wintel two years ago that has had steady degredation issues from the time I got it. It is a Lenovo 3000.

It is slow to start up
It crashes all the time

Should I just take it to the recycler, or is there hope by changing memory, hard drive and putting in Windows 7?

hmmmmmmm

It is slow to start up
It crashes all the time

Sounds like you have a virus or spyware..maybe even both. Try taking it to a pc repair shop if you are unable to clean it out your self.

homo-computer.jpg

have you considered the possibility that it's gay?

It is slow to start up
It crashes all the time

I doubt it's your computer. You probably just have a bunch of spyware and other crap that needs to be removed. You might try a program like this:

CCleaner - Home

Just don't inadvertently delete anything you wanted to keep. You also could have a bunch of programs starting up when you first boot your computer. Run MSCONFIG and take a look. Don't forget to defrag your hard drive.

How much memory do you have?

Windows 7 is much better than Vista, but you may not need to upgrade.

It is slow to start up
It crashes all the time

Scrub it and dop a clean install.

Also, do you have SMART monitoring enabled?

To check the hardware you might want to obtain and run a Linux LIveCD - I suggest Knoppix - which doesn't need you to install the os but will run from RAM when loaded. If your hardware operates well on that temporary os then as has been suggested, it might be that your current os is simply gummed up with crap. If you can't download and burn a Linux os then you might be able to find one in a cover cd in one of the Linux magazines at your favourite news store.

Forum List

Back