Is there proof that Rush has 20 Million Listeners?

Late2TheParty

Classical Liberal
Mar 15, 2011
Amongst the latest controversy, I keep hearing this number. Hell, I just read it in an OP post a couple minutes ago. I believe I heard this number the last 15 years, without much fluctuation.

Is there any evidence or proof from outside sources? When I look, it just seems to be the people involved in his show or distributing saying this?:confused:

The reason I ask is that Rush tried to mount several grassroots efforts in the past, stuff like Operation Chaos, that didn't amount to much.

I know he is probably #1 Republican mouthpiece on the market, but I wonder about the true influence he has. What would you wager the number of true listeners he has? People who tune to him regularly and actually listen to what he's saying rather, than say, it being on in a work environment simply to have as noise.

I once had a rather amusing dance over the course of several months with the Nielson people, the company that does TV ratings. It's a long story involving a misunderstanding, but I did get a chance to ask them a lot of questions about TV and radio ratings and how they are assessed. I came away quite impressed with their secret sauce.

The company that does radio ratings is Arbitron, but they use the same methodology. The figure for Rush Limbaugh's show is 20 million listeners per week. Not every day.

Considering that Limbaugh's show isn't even in the prime hours of morning and evening drive times, that is quite an achievement.

Last edited:
I don't listen to Rush or talk radio at all but I've heard he has a vast audience.

True?? Who knows.

The company that does radio ratings is Arbitron, but they use the same methodology. The figure for Rush Limbaugh's show is 20 million listeners per week. Not every day.

I'll have to look into this, but what does 20 million listeners per week mean? Does it mean 20 million different people tune in for at least a few minutes each week? Or does it mean it could be the same 4 million people tuning in 5 times a week (4x5=20)?

I'll have to look into this, but what does 20 million listeners per week mean? Does it mean 20 million different people tune in for at least a few minutes each week? Or does it mean it could be the same 4 million people tuning in 5 times a week (4x5=20)?

It is a cumulative figure. There is no way to tell how many are repeat listeners, and how many are one-time listeners.

20 million is probably an estimate. His listenership is probably way larger than that. There might be more than one listener to the show at any given location with a radio.

Amongst the latest controversy, I keep hearing this number. Hell, I just read it in an OP post a couple minutes ago. I believe I heard this number the last 15 years, without much fluctuation.

Is there any evidence or proof from outside sources? When I look, it just seems to be the people involved in his show or distributing saying this?:confused:

The reason I ask is that Rush tried to mount several grassroots efforts in the past, stuff like Operation Chaos, that didn't amount to much.

I know he is probably #1 Republican mouthpiece on the market, but I wonder about the true influence he has. What would you wager the number of true listeners he has? People who tune to him regularly and actually listen to what he's saying rather, than say, it being on in a work environment simply to have as noise.

It's true because Rush says so. He's on loan from God, you know. :eusa_pray:

I think since everyone knows who Rush Limbaugh is and what he does, that pretty much tells you how big an audience he has.

It says nothing about the scope of his influence, though. My opinion is that he really does not have much. Certainly much less than the Left or Rush himself thinks he does.

Forum List

Back