Is There International Help Coming?

There needs to be a revision of government assistance policies for people who live in high risk areas such as river flood plains, beachfront homes, or hillsides prone to slides.

It's one thing to send aid to Florida hurricane victims, or to those who are left homeless as the result of a tornado, but if you live at the foot of a live volcano, why should the taxpayer bail your dumb ass out every time it erupts?

People who live in these areas should have to purchase insurance to cover them in the event their home is destroyed by a forseeable event. The rates they pay should be commensurate with the risk. If they cannot afford to pay those rates, then they should sell out and move.

Owners of beachfront homes have been bailed out multiple times by the taxpayer through government sponsored, artificially cheap insurance. More often than not those owners are wealthy people who could afford to pay for their own insurance at the appropriate rate. Personally, I'm sick of subsidizing millionaires.

Worse, the damn government is advertising in an effort to give away more of our money.
======================================
http://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/pages/options.jsp
Option 2: Buy flood insurance and stay protected no matter what.

When disaster strikes, flood insurance policyholder claims are paid even if a disaster is not Federally declared.

Flood insurance means you'll be reimbursed for all your covered losses. And unlike Federal aid, it never has to be repaid.

As long as your community participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), you're eligible to purchase flood insurance. To find out if your community participates, check the Community Status Book on FEMA.gov.

As a homeowner, you can insure your home up to $250,000 and its contents up to $100,000. If you're a renter, you can cover your belongings up to $100,000. As a non-residential property owner, you can insure your building and its contents up to $500,000.

In general, a policy does not take effect until 30 days after you purchase flood insurance. So, if the weather forecast announces a flood alert for your area and you go to purchase coverage, it's already too late. You will not be insured if you buy a policy a few days before a flood.

A flood insurance policy is easy to get, affordable and offers invaluable peace of mind. With flood insurance, you know you're covered … no matter what.

Merlin1047 said:
There needs to be a revision of government assistance policies for people who live in high risk areas such as river flood plains, beachfront homes, or hillsides prone to slides.

It's one thing to send aid to Florida hurricane victims, or to those who are left homeless as the result of a tornado, but if you live at the foot of a live volcano, why should the taxpayer bail your dumb ass out every time it erupts?

People who live in these areas should have to purchase insurance to cover them in the event their home is destroyed by a forseeable event. The rates they pay should be commensurate with the risk. If they cannot afford to pay those rates, then they should sell out and move.

Owners of beachfront homes have been bailed out multiple times by the taxpayer through government sponsored, artificially cheap insurance. More often than not those owners are wealthy people who could afford to pay for their own insurance at the appropriate rate. Personally, I'm sick of subsidizing millionaires.

Worse, the damn government is advertising in an effort to give away more of our money.
======================================
http://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/pages/options.jsp
Option 2: Buy flood insurance and stay protected no matter what.

When disaster strikes, flood insurance policyholder claims are paid even if a disaster is not Federally declared.

Flood insurance means you'll be reimbursed for all your covered losses. And unlike Federal aid, it never has to be repaid.

As long as your community participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), you're eligible to purchase flood insurance. To find out if your community participates, check the Community Status Book on FEMA.gov.

As a homeowner, you can insure your home up to $250,000 and its contents up to $100,000. If you're a renter, you can cover your belongings up to $100,000. As a non-residential property owner, you can insure your building and its contents up to $500,000.

In general, a policy does not take effect until 30 days after you purchase flood insurance. So, if the weather forecast announces a flood alert for your area and you go to purchase coverage, it's already too late. You will not be insured if you buy a policy a few days before a flood.

A flood insurance policy is easy to get, affordable and offers invaluable peace of mind. With flood insurance, you know you're covered … no matter what.

Unforunately the trend seems to be to reward the stupid people cause they can't help it or some lame excuse. Survival of the fittest worked pretty well for a long time--not sure messin with it was such a great idea.

Hey, I'm not saying I disagree with you Merlin, but if others choose to live on islands whether in Indian Ocean or Pacific, what the heck! Send money.

Really, I'm being facetious. I agree, people shouldn't be reimbursed after moving into known areas prone to earthquakes, mudslides, hurricanes, or floods.

Kathianne said:
Hey, I'm not saying I disagree with you Merlin, but if others choose to live on islands whether in Indian Ocean or Pacific, what the heck! Send money.

This is a tad off topic, but I've decided against sending any donations to tsunami relief. Given the attitudes our people are encountering, I'm not at all sure that a good bit of that money won't come back to haunt us in the form of terrorist weapons.

Merlin1047 said:
This is a tad off topic, but I've decided against sending any donations to tsunami relief. Given the attitudes our people are encountering, I'm not at all sure that a good bit of that money won't come back to haunt us in the form of terrorist weapons.

I hear you. We did send money, we did 'feel' for those in need, but I hear you. Their leadership is appalling, which I guess does not mitigate their need. It does make it harder though to find the wherewithal to add to the donation...

Forum List

Back