Is there anything you can't do under the Commerce Clause?

So it was the libruls that exploited the commerce clause to start banning drugs and to establish the DEA huh?

Sounds like revisionist history to me. :eusa_whistle:

Well it was the Democrats that had control of Congress when the DEA was established, but Nixon did sign the bill.

Of course, in '73 the Dems weren't the same pansy ass lefties they are today. So party probably has little to do with this issue.

I'm not quite sure the commerce clause was the basis for establishing the DEA though.

This is the part of the constitution that liberals like to point to that they believe grants the government virtually unlimited scope in establishing laws and regulations in accordance with things like the commerce clause and the general welfare clause:

From Article I, section 8:

"To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof."

But even THAT is vague in and of itself. It still leaves it up to interpretation of what is considered "necessary and proper".

So again, erring on the side of minimalism seems like the best approach. I'd rather have too few laws and regulations, with the space to potentially add one that is universally considered to be "necessary and proper", than to just go hog wild with it and create laws and regulations as congress' heart desires.

Forum List

Back