Is there anything in life worse to be than an armchair chickenhawk?

Dr.Drock

Aug 19, 2009
"I want you to go potentially die for my political opinion."

If soldiers are out preaching for war with Iran, North Korea etc, so be it. But it's always amazed me how people can go as far as demanding more war when they're completely unwilling to make any sacrifice whatsoever for that cause.

If soldiers are out preaching for war with Iran, North Korea etc, so be it. But it's always amazed me how people can go as far as demanding more war when they're completely unwilling to make any sacrifice whatsoever for that cause.

That line of logic does not hold water. That is similar to saying a person does not want fires fought unless they are a fireman, or does not want streets cleaned of snow unless they go and become sanitation people and plow it themselves.

The comparison might be valid in the case of a draft, where a person who supports a given war dodges a draft call up. Our millitary is volutary, and is under civillian control.It is the natural order for it to recive direction, and support from those not in uniform.

That line of logic does not hold water. That is similar to saying a person does not want fires fought unless they are a fireman, or does not want streets cleaned of snow unless they go and become sanitation people and plow it themselves.

The comparison might be valid in the case of a draft, where a person who supports a given war dodges a draft call up. Our millitary is volutary, and is under civillian control.It is the natural order for it to recive direction, and support from those not in uniform.

You can't compare asking for war to any other scenario, it's all apples and oranges.

Asking someone to risk their life on a daily basis isn't even in the same ballpark as asking someone to plow roads.

Sorry, dude, but if you are able bodied and call for war you damn well better be prepared to fight in it.

Yes.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill​

You can't compare asking for war to any other scenario, it's all apples and oranges.

Asking someone to risk their life on a daily basis isn't even in the same ballpark as asking someone to plow roads.

So you ignore my whole firefighter analogy? Weak.

Our society is one of specialization. Again if it was a draft, one would be obligated to go. But no draft, well, one doesnt.

Our society is one of specialization. Again if it was a draft, one would be obligated to go. But no draft, well, one doesnt.

Your analogy is weak. There is a big difference between fire fighting and fucking war, dude.

Yes.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill​

Your post just reinforces my point, my point is these people aren't willing to fight, they're "willing" to demand others fight.

It's like when you were in college, there was always that little wimp holding the coats trying to rile up other guys to fight at a bar, that's what I equate armchair chickenhawks too.

Sorry, dude, but if you are able bodied and call for war you damn well better be prepared to fight in it.

If there was a draft, then yes, i would agree with ya. But as our force is voluenteer, and there was no massive call for voluenteers as the british did during early WWI there is no stigma attached to supporting millitary solutions to problems without being in the millitatry.

Again, we have CIVILIAN control of our armed forces.

Yes.

John Stuart Mill​

Your post just reinforces my point, my point is these people aren't willing to fight, they're "willing" to demand others fight.

It's like when you were in college, there was always that little wimp holding the coats trying to rile up other guys to fight at a bar, that's what I equate armchair chickenhawks too.
Are you willing to fight for anything, or are you sitting there, remote in hand, enjoying the benefits and freedoms others died to ensure you enjoy?

Last edited:

Firefighting and war-fighting aren't even close either, trying to spin something into a lateral comparison to a soldier on a battlefield shows an unappreciation for the danger these people are in.

Which would also be a reason why someone would demand others go on a battlefield facing the spraying of bullets while they sit on a sofa with remote in hand.

Your analogy is weak. There is a big difference between fire fighting and fucking war, dude.

No, it isnt. fire fighters risk thier lives. by your logic If I want a fire fought, I have to join up, be a fire fighter, and do it myself. If I am not a fire fighter, again by your logic, then I have no right to ask another person to fight the fires, if I am not willing to do it myself.

Yes.

John Stuart Mill​

Are you willing to fight for anything?

Why quote me if you don't address anything I say?

I am willing to fight absolutely if I believe in the cause, but will NEVER stoop to trying to push someone onto a battlefield when I myself am unwilling to do it.

When I was in I met people who only served because "it's a government job". Never understood that.

If there was a draft, then yes, i would agree with ya. But as our force is voluenteer, and there was no massive call for voluenteers as the british did during early WWI there is no stigma attached to supporting millitary solutions to problems without being in the millitatry.

I'm aware of who controls the armed forces. I am also aware that there is no draft today.

However, that does not make the able bodied person calling for a war that they are unwilling to fight in any less of cowardly monster who has no problem sending people off to their death as long as they don't have to go along too.

Is this sinking in yet?

Firefighting and war-fighting aren't even close either, trying to spin something into a lateral comparison to a soldier on a battlefield shows an unappreciation for the danger these people are in.

Which would also be a reason why someone would demand others go on a battlefield facing the spraying of bullets while they sit on a sofa with remote in hand.

I have no delusions of how hard fighting on a battelfied are. My grandfather is a WWII vet and tells me all the time about what he went through.

Sometimes people have to fight. In our society, with a volenteer military we ask people to sign up and do the fighting for us, with our support. In the case of a draft, it is the country as a whole asking all its people to fight. In the case of a draft, one who supports the war should be ready to fight it when thier number comes up. Without a draft, there is no issue with supporting a war, but not fighting it. Again, our current setup is a volenteer military.

The logic you are using is almost like that seen in the starship troopers movies and books, where to vote you have to have served in the military. Is that what you want?

Are you willing to fight for anything?

Why quote me if you don't address anything I say?
That whole "freedom of speech" thing. Kinda cool, ain't it?
I am willing to fight absolutely if I believe in the cause, but will NEVER stoop to trying to push someone onto a battlefield when I myself am unwilling to do it.
Go back and read my edit.

I'm aware of who controls the armed forces. I am also aware that there is no draft today.

However, that does not make the able bodied person calling for a war that they are unwilling to fight in any less of cowardly monster who has no problem sending people off to their death as long as they don't have to go along too.

Is this sinking in yet?
You mean like liberals who advocate others pay more in taxes but refuse to send more of their money to the government?

No, it isnt. fire fighters risk thier lives. by your logic If I want a fire fought, I have to join up, be a fire fighter, and do it myself. If I am not a fire fighter, again by your logic, then I have no right to ask another person to fight the fires, if I am not willing to do it myself.

Pure nonsense. Putting out fires where there is the risk that you may be killed in an accident is not on par with willfully sending people to a place where thousands are actively trying to kill them.

Forum List

Back