Is there any freedom of speech in the U.K.?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by chanel, Jan 11, 2010.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    I am dumbfounded. What the hell is going on over there? Is the U.S. headed in this direction?

2. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    You have to say " God save the queen" after you make "off base" statements.
    It's an inbred thang.

3. goldcatt

goldcatt Catch me if you can! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    Considering some of the garbage that happens here in the US, I don't think we have any room to take one news clip and use it to disparage an entire country. What was that about removing the board from your own eye first?

4. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,993
    Then you are an idiot, All of Europe has sold out to political correctness. Most if not all Nations there have similar laws that bar speech and the written word. I am sure Obama and his Obama bots would love similar laws here but the 1st Amendment still stops those from happening here, for now.

5. goldcatt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    So then you're an expert on the legal systems, traditions and guarantees of each and every European nation as they apply to free speech? WTH is a genius like you doing wasting all these hours every day on an internet message board?

How's about links to some of those laws you know so well? I'd be fascinated to read them and learn from your unrivalled brilliance.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,993
    Ignorance is BLISS, and on this issue you are about as IGNORANT as they come. This is not an isolated incident, we get a few of these every few months, Americans are not that interested so only on slow news days do they matter.

You are aware that in England one can be arrested for reading out loud sections of the old Testament in a sermon?

7. goldcatt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    Again, your wisdom astounds me.

Wouldn't those links be in order right about now? I mean, I understand there's only so much of your vast ocean of knowledge concerning the intricacies of an entire continent's various legal systems that can be posted at one time. Surely providing a few resources to the ignorant isn't beyond your capablities? Or perhaps it is..... :eusa_whistle:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    goldcatt - this was not meant to disparage anyone. I love the Brits. But you cannot say this could ever happen in the U.S. And while this man was eventually cleared BECAUSE HE DIDN'T EVEN WRITE IT, I could imagine his arrest alone would cause a "chilling effect" on others who wish to express their views. I pay attention to what's going on in England. I fear we may be following them with the PC BS and extremism that is going on over there.

9. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,993
    Look you RETARD do your own research, YOU are the one that can not fathom that a man was arrested for nothing and to boot for something he did not even do. You are the one with your head buried in the sand. Go eat some more sand fleas.

10. goldcatt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    I can easily say this could happen in the US, because overzealous petty officials who lack the knowledge to understand they can't just cause trouble for people who offend them are everywhere. Nope, that never happens here. :rolleyes:

But to use something like this story to make the strong implication that the UK, or any other nation for that matter, has no right to free speech is a gross overgeneralization. I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, but for as little as most Americans know about how our own country works let alone other nations some of us sure seem to be judgmental.