Is there any freedom of speech in the U.K.?

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
A wealthy businessman was arrested at home in front of his wife and young son over an email which council officials deemed ‘offensive’ to gipsies – but which he had not even written. The email, concerning a planning appeal by a gipsy, included the phrase: ‘It’s the 'do as you likey' attitude that I am against.’

Council staff believed the email was offensive because ‘likey’ rhymes with the derogatory term ‘pikey’.

‘One of my closest friends is an Irish traveller and he uses the term 'pikey' all the time. This is the ultimate in political correctness going off the scale.’

Sussex Police said they had arrested the businessman over ‘suspicion of committing a racial or religious-aggravated offence’.

Read more: Businessman is arrested in front of wife and son... for ¿anti-gipsy¿ email that he didn¿t even write | Mail Online

I am dumbfounded. What the hell is going on over there? Is the U.S. headed in this direction?

Considering some of the garbage that happens here in the US, I don't think we have any room to take one news clip and use it to disparage an entire country. What was that about removing the board from your own eye first?

Considering some of the garbage that happens here in the US, I don't think we have any room to take one news clip and use it to disparage an entire country. What was that about removing the board from your own eye first?

Then you are an idiot, All of Europe has sold out to political correctness. Most if not all Nations there have similar laws that bar speech and the written word. I am sure Obama and his Obama bots would love similar laws here but the 1st Amendment still stops those from happening here, for now.

Then you are an idiot, All of Europe has sold out to political correctness. Most if not all Nations there have similar laws that bar speech and the written word. I am sure Obama and his Obama bots would love similar laws here but the 1st Amendment still stops those from happening here, for now.

So then you're an expert on the legal systems, traditions and guarantees of each and every European nation as they apply to free speech? WTH is a genius like you doing wasting all these hours every day on an internet message board?

How's about links to some of those laws you know so well? I'd be fascinated to read them and learn from your unrivalled brilliance.

So then you're an expert on the legal systems, traditions and guarantees of each and every European nation as they apply to free speech? WTH is a genius like you doing wasting all these hours every day on an internet message board?

How's about links to some of those laws you know so well? I'd be fascinated to read them and learn from your unrivalled brilliance.

Ignorance is BLISS, and on this issue you are about as IGNORANT as they come. This is not an isolated incident, we get a few of these every few months, Americans are not that interested so only on slow news days do they matter.

You are aware that in England one can be arrested for reading out loud sections of the old Testament in a sermon?

Ignorance is BLISS, and on this issue you are about as IGNORANT as they come. This is not an isolated incident, we get a few of these every few months, Americans are not that interested so only on slow news days do they matter.

You are aware that in England one can be arrested for reading out loud sections of the old Testament in a sermon?

Again, your wisdom astounds me.

Wouldn't those links be in order right about now? I mean, I understand there's only so much of your vast ocean of knowledge concerning the intricacies of an entire continent's various legal systems that can be posted at one time. Surely providing a few resources to the ignorant isn't beyond your capablities? Or perhaps it is..... :eusa_whistle:

goldcatt - this was not meant to disparage anyone. I love the Brits. But you cannot say this could ever happen in the U.S. And while this man was eventually cleared BECAUSE HE DIDN'T EVEN WRITE IT, I could imagine his arrest alone would cause a "chilling effect" on others who wish to express their views. I pay attention to what's going on in England. I fear we may be following them with the PC BS and extremism that is going on over there.

Wouldn't those links be in order right about now? I mean, I understand there's only so much of your vast ocean of knowledge concerning the intricacies of an entire continent's various legal systems that can be posted at one time. Surely providing a few resources to the ignorant isn't beyond your capablities? Or perhaps it is..... :eusa_whistle:

Look you RETARD do your own research, YOU are the one that can not fathom that a man was arrested for nothing and to boot for something he did not even do. You are the one with your head buried in the sand. Go eat some more sand fleas.

goldcatt - this was not meant to disparage anyone. I love the Brits. But you cannot say this could ever happen in the U.S. And while this man was eventually cleared BECAUSE HE DIDN'T EVEN WRITE IT, I could imagine his arrest alone would cause a "chilling effect" on others who wish to express their views. I pay attention to what's going on in England. I fear we may be following them with the PC BS and extremism that is going on over there.

I can easily say this could happen in the US, because overzealous petty officials who lack the knowledge to understand they can't just cause trouble for people who offend them are everywhere. Nope, that never happens here. :rolleyes:

But to use something like this story to make the strong implication that the UK, or any other nation for that matter, has no right to free speech is a gross overgeneralization. I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, but for as little as most Americans know about how our own country works let alone other nations some of us sure seem to be judgmental.

There is no comparison to our freedoms of speech and those in other countries. Ours has yet to decay as it has elsewhere.

Anyone who denies that freedom of speech has decayed in the UK and the rest of the EU is kidding themselves.

Look you RETARD do your own research, YOU are the one that can not fathom that a man was arrested for nothing and to boot for something he did not even do. You are the one with your head buried in the sand. Go eat some more sand fleas.

Retard, when I'm not the one missing the very basic principle that he who makes the claim carries the burden of proof? :lol:

You're a comedic treasure, RGS. Thanks for the laughs!

Retard, when I'm not the one missing the very basic principle that he who makes the claim carries the burden of proof? :lol:

You are not even smart enough to rate the term Retard. The lead story says it all and you are demanding proof? It is in the story you fucking looney tunes.

either in 2008 or 2007 Britain passed a law that makes what you say or write punishable if it is considered "hateful". The law makes parts of the Old Testament a crime to read out loud in a sermon.

You are not even smart enough to rate the term Retard. The lead story says it all and you are demanding proof? It is in the story you fucking looney tunes.

either in 2008 or 2007 Britain passed a law that makes what you say or write punishable if it is considered "hateful". The law makes parts of the Old Testament a crime to read out loud in a sermon.

That's one very specific claim with zero to back it, RGS. Careful, you might damage your tremendous credibility 'round these parts. :lol:

That's one very specific claim with zero to back it, RGS. Careful, you might damage your tremendous credibility 'round these parts. :lol:

C'mon RGS, you're deflecting.

You're not unknown to ask people to put up or shut up. One link about each of the statements you (not the OP) have represented as facts will suffice. "Go find it yourself" is such a copout.

When I went to London for a two-week vacation back in 2006 nobody seemed to care so much what I had to say while I was plastered sitting in the pubs yucking it up with our British cousins. I didn't notice any restrictions on free speech. Nobody in dark suits came up to me and said "Shut your mouth, mate."

When I went to London for a two-week vacation back in 2006 nobody seemed to care so much what I had to say while I was plastered sitting in the pubs yucking it up with our British cousins. I didn't notice any restrictions on free speech. Nobody in dark suits came up to me and said "Shut your mouth, mate."

Yeah, but we're not talking about what it's actually like in Britain.

Yeah, but we're not talking about what it's actually like in Britain.

Never had the pleasure of visiting, but all it takes is enough interest to look past the occasional sensationalist headline to get a general feel for how it works. It's not exactly rocket science, after all. While there are obvious differences America's basic legal system and its core concepts are modeled on whose, again?

But never let little things like facts get in the way of a good Nationalist tirade! ;)

You are talking the biggest pile of shit I have ever heard in my life. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing they say. Your knowledge is so miniscule, you have gone beyond the danger zone and are now in the completely stupid zone.

You call someone ignorant, but you need to check out yourself first.

Go read the law as related to hate speech before you call others retards. You simply prove how parochial you really are with the absolute garbage you spout.

Forum List

Back