Is there already a thread about this?

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
I didn't catch the whole story but I heard George Snuffleupagus say something on his show yesterday about how Alaskan residents got to vote themselves a $1,200 check each that was tied to a ballot question opening up more areas for drilling. Basically, allow the oil companies to drill and you get a $1,200 kickback each. Honestly, it seems way too egregious to be true. Anyone know anything about this?

I didn't catch the whole story but I heard George Snuffleupagus say something on his show yesterday about how Alaskan residents got to vote themselves a $1,200 check each that was tied to a ballot question opening up more areas for drilling. Basically, allow the oil companies to drill and you get a $1,200 kickback each. Honestly, it seems way too egregious to be true. Anyone know anything about this?

Don't know. Why do you feel it's egregious for citizens of Alaska to
1) decide how their resources should be used?
2) decide who should be paid for the use of those resources?

It seems consistent with the thinking behind the establishment of the Alaska Permanent Fund, which also provides cash derived from oil production to individual Alaskans

Do you think that they are incapable of making an informed choice?

• Banned
I did a little bit more research. Looks like they might only get $250 now, or nothing at all.

Thanks everyone.

Nothing sounds particularly unreasonable or insidious about this.

I guess it was just Snuffleupagus' liberal bias at work. :D

I imagine because LA is not willing to share the profits it's gets from selling resources to private industry with it's citizens.
I don't know if that is true or not. As far as I know LA only gets a small amount of the tax on oil, but not any of the profit.

Forum List

Back