Is there a way to disable the emoticons?

Haha. I figured I'd see that comment. But seriously, if there is a way I can disable them that would be cool. I was going to just PM Ringel because he seems to know about this stuff, but I think an open thread would draw from a larger cesspool of knowledge.

Sheldon, you and Blagger need to see an orthopedic surgeon to rule out why emoticons (especially the moving ones, right?) are annoying your eye's perceptual field and telling your brain they are annoying, period. You might try eye drops to see if they dull the sensation, and if that works, get your doctor to prescribe Restasis or an eye-calming agent that is used by sufferers of dry eye syndrome.

It could be an eye issue at the bottom of this problem.

Just sayin'.

Haha. I figured I'd see that comment. But seriously, if there is a way I can disable them that would be cool. I was going to just PM Ringel because he seems to know about this stuff, but I think an open thread would draw from a larger cesspool of knowledge.

Sheldon, you and Blagger need to see an orthopedic surgeon to rule out why emoticons (especially the moving ones, right?) are annoying your eye's perceptual field and telling your brain they are annoying, period. You might try eye drops to see if they dull the sensation, and if that works, get your doctor to prescribe Restasis or an eye-calming agent that is used by sufferers of dry eye syndrome.

Just sayin'.

Nah, it's just a chronic case of wussitis.

Serious on Sheldon's part does not necessiate seriousness on my part. Although five bucks can make it that way.

Do you have anything against "gifs"? :D

inre: OBL:
idsf2.gif

I rather like that one, but I would change the caption to read:

IT'S ALL YOURS, ASSHOLES!!
Wake me when YOU think you've cleaned up this mess...

Just sayin'.

My gripe is legit. The emoticons that don't move like :eusa_shhh: :) ;) etc are fine, but the animated ones blink in between each frame. If I had epilepsy I'd be flopping around on the floor right now.

Just sayin'.

My gripe is legit. The emoticons that don't move like :eusa_shhh: :) ;) etc are fine, but the animated ones blink in between each frame. If I had epilepsy I'd be flopping around on the floor right now.

I agree, that is annoying.

There's no really good way to do it but there are a few acceptable ways.

If you use firefox, type into your address bar about:config

Click yes when you get the warning that your warranty may be voided.

Scroll down to image.animation_mode and double click on it. Change the word in the pop up box from normal to once.

That way you will probably never see the animated gifs, only the unanimated version. Problem is that if you want to see one for whatever reason you will have to change back to normal.

Another way is to use firefox, download AdblockPlus, and manually block each gif that annoys you or all of them at once (including the ones you don't mind).

Last edited:

Just sayin'.

I agree, that is annoying.

There's no really good way to do it but there are a few acceptable ways.

If you use firefox, type into your address bar about:config

Click yes when you get the warning that your warranty may be voided.

Scroll down to image.animation_mode and double click on it. Change the word in the pop up box from normal to once.

That way you will probably never see the animated gifs, only the unanimated version. Problem is that if you want to see one for whatever reason you will have to change back to normal.

Another way is to use firefox, download AdblockPlus, and manually block each gif that annoys you or all of them at once (including the ones you don't mind).

Yeah I've got that going on my Firefox, but I've been dinking around with Midori lately and they don't do the config like that, I had to go into the source file and do something similar but ended up breaking the browser twice. It's fixed now but the tradeoff kind of sucks because I like some of the gifs that get posted here. BWGD Thanks for taking the time though

Just sayin'.

Dry eye syndrome is not synonymous with epilepsy. Honest.

Forum List

Back