Is there a tradeoff between freedom and prosperity?

Sep 12, 2008
kittywave2.jpg
Lots of folks justify such pest holes as Cuba and North Korea as improvements on what had gone on before. (In Cuba's case, codswallop)

Even if tyranny were the way to prosperity, or just limited freedom made things a little better for you if not for those around you, is that a path that anyone should take?

Last edited:
Lots of folks justify such pest holes as Cuba and North Korea as improvements on what had gone on before. (In Cuba's case, codswallop)

Even if tyranny were the way to prosperity, or just limited freedom made things a little better for you if not for those around you, is that a path that anyone should take?

I think the best answer/example to your question is Korea itself. See: collectivist North verses the Individualist South.

I'd say no to the path of limited freedom every time. Yes to some rule of law with very limited regulations that apply equaly to all. The purpose of government is to protect individual rights and nothing more.

/2 cents

Never worked before so I'd say no. However government being involved heavily in economic activity of the nation proved to be very successful in Europe and North America.

P.S. For crowd who identifies freedom based on tax burden go fuck yourself and do not comment on what I just said, thanks.

I think the best answer/example to your question is Korea itself. See: collectivist North verses the Individualist South.

I'd say no to the path of limited freedom every time. Yes to some rule of law with very limited regulations that apply equaly to all. The purpose of government is to protect individual rights and nothing more.

/2 cents

South Korea has universal healthcare system. That god damn commie influence!

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

I'd be pretty disappointed if any didn't know who that quote is from.

/2 cents

The nice thing about South Korea is that if someone got really sick they could always hop a plane to Hawaii in case they needed real great care.

Anyway, the OP brought it up and if you can make a case that South Korea is more collectivist than North Korea I'd love to hear it. (also your plans for a perpetual motion machine while your at it)

:lol:

/2 cents

The nice thing about South Korea is that if someone got really sick they could always hop a plane to Hawaii in case they needed real great care.

Anyway, the OP brought it up and if you can make a case that South Korea is more collectivist than North Korea I'd love to hear it. (also your plans for a perpetual motion machine while your at it)

Wait, North Korea is the standard now? Right wing sure knows how to dive deep.

Standard for what?

What Korea is, is a stark and handy example of one culture and how the question of freedom and prosperity was anwered in that divided place. That is the point of this thread after all.

Standard for what?

What Korea is, is a stark and handy example of one culture and how the question of freedom and prosperity was anwered in that divided place. That is the point of this thread after all.

Question was answered with socialized medicine? My my. I bet they have welfare too.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

I don't. But I could Google it! Prolly one of your founding fathers no doubt. Franklin? Jefferson?

Franklin. One of his more famous ones, I'm surprised you've never heard it.

I don't. But I could Google it! Prolly one of your founding fathers no doubt. Franklin? Jefferson?

Franklin. One of his more famous ones, I'm surprised you've never heard it.

Have heard it many times on this board. I'm not American, so I don't know all your famous sayings....

Standard for what?

Question was answered with socialized medicine? My my. I bet they have welfare too.

You did not understand the question then. And if you don't understand the difference between North and South Korea then your too dumb for this conversation.

Forum List

Back