Is there a heaven?

Is there a knowing, good, caring, and all-powerful God?

• Total voters

mattskramer

Apr 11, 2004
Texas
I grew up a Christian under my parents' care.
After I left home I became agnostic - leaning a little bit toward being an atheist.
I've read and re-read the Bible with an analytical and skeptical view.
I wanted to satisfy myself with the notion that the Bible is in error - with many instances of inconsistency and absurdity (if read literally). I found what I was looking for.

Yet, now as I approach 45, I begin to wonder if there is more to life than death.
Oh, I have had a nice life so far: a reasonably comfortable, typical, middle-class life.
I have a quaint home, a good wife, a challenging (but not back-breaking) job/career.
I have led a reasonably ethical life and I have some good friends and no enemies.
I'm reasonably content but sort of want more out of life.

Is there a God?
Does this God know and care about me?
Is he all powerful, merciful, and good?

I still wonder.

Maybe you should have a chat with a local preacher in the church of your choice in your area. He can help you work out all of these issues. There is a God and he loves you.

A little difficult this one. When the bible says "God created the heavens and the earth."
I have to admit, I see it as meaning the heavens as sky above.
What is heaven? If God has existed for ever then surely heaven did too?
Not sure what to make of this choice.

HM

I grew up Catholic, believing in a Heaven and Hell.
Now I'm not so sure. There is something in me that wants to believe that we return to the Creator, whatever that may be. A ball of light ... an energy source of some kind. If some want to label such a place as Heaven, well I suppose that's fine. Regardless, I believe we choose to come to this planet and experience this human form, this human life. We are our souls, creating a life of happiness. Well, some of us are anyway. When we die, our souls return to that Energy source and what happens from there? Do we get the opportunity to come back and do it all over again? Do we come back to this planet to learn new lessons ... to love harder ... to hate stronger?

Are you one who believes we come in contact with the same people each life-time and we just don't know it?

So many question .... so few answers ... an abundance of opinion ...

Hi Masquerade,

Now I'm not so sure. There is something in me that wants to believe that we return to the Creator, whatever that may be. A ball of light ... an energy source of some kind. If some want to label such a place as Heaven, well I suppose that's fine. Regardless, I believe we choose to come to this planet and experience this human form, this human life. We are our souls, creating a life of happiness. Well, some of us are anyway. When we die, our souls return to that Energy source and what happens from there? Do we get the opportunity to come back and do it all over again? Do we come back to this planet to learn new lessons ... to love harder ... to hate stronger?

Are you one who believes we come in contact with the same people each life-time and we just don't know it?

I believe there are soul mates. I do not believe we are reborn over and over again.
We just are and we have to make the best of that.
Do I believe in a creator? Well I do as it happens. Do I see flaws in mankind?
I do.... but that is normal as we see flaws in ourselves which means we should be kinder to others.

HM.

how ironc it may well be to arrive in the afterlife to find on'e terrestial existence was indeed the illusion after all...

how ironc it may well be to arrive in the afterlife to find on'e terrestial existence was indeed the illusion after all...

If life is going to be worth experiencing....then it has to happen here.
Eternity is a little to long to find life boring.:up: I think I will cling to reality and enjoy the feelings it brings.

HM

After I left home I became agnostic - leaning a little bit toward being an atheist.
I wanted to satisfy myself with the notion that the Bible is in error - with many instances of inconsistency and absurdity (if read literally). I found what I was looking for.

Yet, now as I approach 45, I begin to wonder if there is more to life than death.
Oh, I have had a nice life so far: a reasonably comfortable, typical, middle-class life.
I have a quaint home, a good wife, a challenging (but not back-breaking) job/career.
I have led a reasonably ethical life and I have some good friends and no enemies.

Is there a God?

I still wonder.

Belief in God needs to be between you and Him. My encouragement to you is to ask Him directly. Think of it this way, if you don't know if there is a God, how could it hurt to ask Him? Since He is God, He knows your thought anyway : )

I believe that Jesus Christ is Lord and Savior of all. So naturally I'm going to direct you to this site below. I chose several different questions that may hopefully help you, if you like.

It takes time to read Gods Word, but that is partly how He reveals Himself to us and it's so personal, so intimate, each individual soul with Him is a relationship. It takes us truly being humble and crying out to God for His guidance and help. It is written in the Bible..

Deuteronomy 4:29 But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.

Here are some links to one site.. particular questions that I hope helps you. God bless you : )

Who is God?

Why are there so many religions? Do all religions lead to God?

With all of the different religions, how can I know which one is correct?

What is the Romans Road to salvation?
(one of my personal favorites and helped me alot when I first came to know God)

Jesus said..
Revelation 3:20
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Last edited:
Yes, There is a God.
All Christians have asked the same questions as you have. Once they have studied and researched the Bible very carefully, they find their answers.
And the more you study the Bible, the more you will come to realize that he does exist.
Here are the answer to the questions that you asked.
Does God Exist - Six Reasons to Believe that God is Really There - Existence of God - Proof of God

Great link, thanks! Hope you are having a great day. Im logging off now. God bless you!

If you want to believe in the magic man in the sky who rules over paradise in the clouds then feel free. But please don't leave out the mermaids and unicorns. They have feelings too.

I too was raised Catholic, became an agnostic then an atheist and eventually born again. I too found my reasons not to believe and even learned to despise Christians and Christianity. Like you I began to question my own reasons and found them wanting and eventually was led back by what I believe was the Holy Ghost. Not to a church or a specific denomination but to a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ who I finally accepted to be who he says he is. I then went on a personal learning journey which answered all my questions and raised quite a few more. I have witnessed tragedies and miracles, have railed against and blessed God, have sinned and continue to sin but thankfully I continue to acquire that which I constantly pray to acquire and that is wisdom.
This is not to convince or cajole you, my calling is not proselytization, this is simply to briefly relate my journey for your consideration, hope it helps.

"Your eyes may have changed shade, but it cannot color the soul behind them. We have come together in this life, this time. Only to meet in passing.
It is so heartbreaking to wait.
I miss you. "

If you want to believe in the magic man in the sky who rules over paradise in the clouds then feel free. But please don't leave out the mermaids and unicorns. They have feelings too.

You can't believe in a creator but you can believe that non-living matter just poof, became living matter.

That living matter became a cell, and that cell over came every mathematical impossibility to evolve in to every living organism on this planet. A unicorn and mermaid does not seem like such a stretch if we consider all the creatures that lived on this earth.

Oh and let's not forget that a non-intelligent non-thinking natural process brought forth intelligence.

:eusa_angel:

Last edited:
Is there a God? Yes

Does this God know and care about me? That portion of you that He created in His image, yes.

Is he all powerful, merciful, and good? Yes

You can't believe in a creator but you can believe that non-living matter just poof, became living matter.

That living matter became a cell, and that cell over came every mathematical impossibility to evolve in to every living organism on this planet. A unicorn and mermaid does not seem like such a stretch if we consider all the creatures that lived on this earth.

Oh and let's not forget that a non-intelligent non-thinking natural process brought forth intelligence.

:eusa_angel:

Making up the man in the sky because we do not understand exactly how the universe or people came to be is not an answer to those questions.

I am not so arrogant that I can't say that we may never understand some things in the universe just as my dog will never understand algebra. The brain is a physical organ and has its limitations just as all organs do.

Last edited:

Is there a God?

I still wonder.
listen to this song matt....they have some of the same concerns....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXf2PbEPQ-Y]‪STYX- "Show Me The Way"‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

lyrics:

Every night I say a prayer in the hope(s) that there's a heaven.

and everyday I'm more confused as the saints turn into sinners
All the heroes and legends I knew as a child have fallen to idols of clay
And I feel this empty place inside so afraid that I've lost my faith

Show me the way, show me the way
take me tonight to the river and wash my illusions away
Please show me the way

And as I slowly drift to sleep, for a moment dreams are sacred
I close my eyes and know there's peace in a world so filled with hatred
That I wake up each morning and turn on the news to find we've so far to go
And I keep on hoping for a sign, so afraid that I just won't know

Show me the way, Show me the way
Bring me tonight to the mountain
And take my confusion away
And show me the way

And if I see a light, should I believe
Tell me how will I know

Take me tonight to the river
And
wash my illusions away
Give me the strength and the courage
To believe that I'll get there someday
And please Show me the way

Every night I say a prayer
In the hope(s) that there's a heaven.....

Show me the way

Yes, There is a God.
All Christians have asked the same questions as you have. Once they have studied and researched the Bible very carefully, they find their answers.
And the more you study the Bible, the more you will come to realize that he does exist.
Here are the answer to the questions that you asked.
Does God Exist - Six Reasons to Believe that God is Really There - Existence of God - Proof of God

Wow, as I read more of this from this site link you shared, it gave me some more insight. There are some times that I don't understand why atheists think they way they do. (please no offense atheists, it's like how you may not understand some people of faith) But what this guy said here from the link blew my mind away and gave me more understanding. Pretty awesome.

"I was an atheist at one time. And like many atheists, the issue of people believing in God bothered me greatly. What is it about atheists that we would spend so much time, attention, and energy refuting something that we don't believe even exists?! What causes us to do that? When I was an atheist, I attributed my intentions as caring for those poor, delusional people...to help them realize their hope was completely ill-founded. To be honest, I also had another motive. As I challenged those who believed in God, I was deeply curious to see if they could convince me otherwise. Part of my quest was to become free from the question of God. If I could conclusively prove to believers that they were wrong, then the issue is off the table, and I would be free to go about my life.

I didn't realize that the reason the topic of God weighed so heavily on my mind, was because God was pressing the issue. I have come to find out that God wants to be known. He created us with the intention that we would know him. He has surrounded us with evidence of himself and he keeps the question of his existence squarely before us. It was as if I couldn't escape thinking about the possibility of God. In fact, the day I chose to acknowledge God's existence, my prayer began with, "Ok, you win..." It might be that the underlying reason atheists are bothered by people believing in God is because God is actively pursuing them."

Thanks again! :)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back