Is there a cutoff point for new candidates?

whatever you read is fake news. neither aren't even considering a run.

I've read Oprah, Michelle and others coming up at the last minute. Is there a cutoff point for new candidates?
Yes, November 2020

Does that mean Hillary still has time to lose again?
I think she is the main contender for the victory.

Do you think Hillary wants to relive the worst night of her life?

More importantly, does anyone thing Hillary could survive another presidential run? The last one almost killed her.

I've read Oprah, Michelle and others coming up at the last minute. Is there a cutoff point for new candidates?

I guess there is, at the political conventions next year.

But Ronald W. Reagan declared his 1980 candidacy in November 1979, Warren G. Harding through his hat into the 1920 race in December 1919.

Its certainly possible for a candidate to be successful entering the race later.

Yes, November 2020

Does that mean Hillary still has time to lose again?
I think she is the main contender for the victory.

Do you think Hillary wants to relive the worst night of her life?

More importantly, does anyone thing Hillary could survive another presidential run? The last one almost killed her.
Hi! Hi!

RewardingCraftyLaughingthrush-max-1mb.gif

It's a bit complicated, as I understand it, and depends on whether they're running for candidacy in an established party or as an independent.

The Federal Election Commission just requires a candidate to have raised or spent $5,000 on the campaign, and then file a Statement of Candidacy form with them within 10 days of doing that, then file a Statement of Organization form within 15 days of THAT. Doesn't appear they have a deadline by which one needs to do that. However, the parties themselves have requirements for being a candidate with that party, and if one runs as an independent, then they must petition each state with whatever minimum number of petition signatures that state requires, and each state has a deadline by which that has to be done. The state election commissions have to print up ballots and election materials, and they need a certain amount of time to do so.

I would think the primary elections are the cutoff for 'official' party candidates but I believe one can write in anyone on election day, November 2020.

I would think the primary elections are the cutoff for 'official' party candidates but I believe one can write in anyone on election day, November 2020.

I'll speak as a past election officer in California and how California works... you could write in anyone, HOWEVER, it will NOT be counted UNLESS it's an authentic write-in candidate.

The voting machines will kick out any ballots that are either mis-marked (e.g., voting for two candidates instead of one, not filling in the bubble or attaching the arrow) and an election worker in that case will mark that illegitimate vote as blank; and if it's a write-in vote, the election worker will only count the vote if it's an authentic write-in candidate.

To be an official write-in candidate, you'd need to file the proper paperwork and submit a fee... you can also submit a required amount of valid signatures in lieu of the fee, and you'd have to do that for each county to qualify for each county's ballot. That's a lot of time, money, and effort to be a write-in candidate. And then people have to know there is an official write-in candidate. If a voter goes to the poll, I cannot as an election officer say, "Oh, by the way, here are some valid write-in candidates, as that can be seen as electioneering"... if a voter asks if there are any valid write-in candidates, then the election officer can show the list of valid write-in candidates.

I'm tellin you guys the third party guy is coming...the ringer...the plant. It won't be a split tail either...it will be a man.

Forum List

Back