Is there a connection with Star Trek fans and political affiliation?

Hmmm.

I think there is, generally speaking.

No. It's too diverse of a franchise to draw that kind of connection. You have:

Star Trek: TOS: (the Series): The original series is pretty much like the Twilight Zone. I could see folks making the argument that it's a fairly "liberal" show.

Star Trek: TOS: (the Movies): While it's the same cast, thematically it's quite different from the the original series. Many of the movies have a more militaristic theme than the show ever had. I could see someone arguing that this part of the franchise is fairly "Conservative" for the most part (exception: The Voyage Home).

Star Trek: TNG: This one started out as a modern retelling of the Original Series, but went it's own way after Rodenberry died. This is more Space Opera from that point on. I'd have a hard time picking an overarching political philosophy out of it. TNG Movies are much closer thematically to ST:TNG.

Star Trek: DS9: This one has some fairly dark themes. I could see episodes like "In The Pale Moonlight" being a darling of the NeoCon crowd. I'd lean towards this being fairly "Conservative" leaning, even though it was heavily influenced by Ron Moore who wrote BSG, which is unapologetically "Liberal".

Star Trek: Voyager: The Less said the better.

Star Trek: Enterprise: I could see this one as being a "Liberal" show as it seems to chronicle the path to Utopia that the Federation has achieved by TOS. Unfortunately, like Voyager the less said about it, the better.

Star Trek: The J.J. Abrams Reboot: Just a big flashy popcorn movie. There's absolutely zero political about it.

Last edited:
Hmmm.

Not really. I used to post on the Star Trek message boards around the net, and found a pretty even mix of Conservatives and Liberals.

I think if you were to go after a smaller Sci-Fi Franchise, you'd get a better correlation. Star Trek is just too diverse in and of itself.

I think you almost have to be a "Liberal" leaning person to have liked Ron Moore's and David Eick's Battlestar Galactica run in its entirety. The Occupation of New Caprica, Laura Roslin's constant posturing, and the incredibly Pro-Environmentalist "Let's just live off the land" ending would have burnt out a Conservative leaning person by the time the show ended.

Roddenberry was a big liberal. He insisted on having a multi-ethnic/racial cast for the show and got into huge fights with the networks over it.

Hmmm.

very much so.

Sci Fi people are liberals.

Except the Dune series people they are nuts.

every one of them?.....no wonder people here think so highly of what you have to say....
Every one of them? No. But I think in general it kinda leans that way. Sci-Fi at its best is about Social Commentary, and that stuff usually appeals to Liberal leaning folks.

There are exceptions. I think some forms of Sci-Fi, especially Military Sci-Fi, skews Conservative. However, I'd say that's because the message a lot of Military Sci-Fi has is anti-liberal.

If you want to live on the Starship Enterprise be prepared to say goodbye to democracy, republicanism, and your freedoms.

Kirk is your captain and captains are really just a military version of absolute monarchs while on a mission.

It's just a TV Show... It's just a TV show.

Of course, with Captain Romney, we're all wearing Red Shirts.

:lol:

:clap2:

He does resemble Captain Christopher Pike.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F5pAFhByU8&feature=related]Star Trek The Cage - YouTube[/ame]

Roddenberry was a big liberal. He insisted on having a multi-ethnic/racial cast for the show and got into huge fights with the networks over it.

But he also had VERY limited control over the movies. I don't know what Nicholas Meyer's political affiliation is, but I'd argue that a lot of the ST:TOS films skewed far less liberal than the ST:TOS episodes at least partially because Meyer made the conscious decision to play up the military side of Starfleet.

very much so.

every one of them?.....no wonder people here think so highly of what you have to say....
Every one of them? No. But I think in general it kinda leans that way. Sci-Fi at its best is about Social Commentary, and that stuff usually appeals to Liberal leaning folks.

There are exceptions. I think some forms of Sci-Fi, especially Military Sci-Fi, skews Conservative. However, I'd say that's because the message a lot of Military Sci-Fi has is anti-liberal.

Come on, was I supposed to go out and do a survey before commenting.

I read Dune and liked it.

The REAL fans of it like the trekies are Scientology people.

But he also had VERY limited control over the movies. I don't know what Nicholas Meyer's political affiliation is, but I'd argue that a lot of the ST:TOS films skewed far less liberal than the ST:TOS episodes at least partially because Meyer made the conscious decision to play up the military side of Starfleet.

Probably.

Roddenberry had more influence over the series then the films. The other real genius of the series was allowing different sci-fi writers to do episodes. Very cool stuff.

Probably.

Roddenberry had more influence over the series then the films. The other real genius of the series was allowing different sci-fi writers to do episodes. Very cool stuff.

Yeah. That was. It's part of why ST:TOS is up there with Twilight Zone when folks talk about best Sci-Fi TV shows ever. It's also why Star Trek has endured so long. Rodenberry's creation has a lot of depth for other writers to explore.

very much so.

Yeah..Robert Heinlein comes to mind.

very much so.

Have you heard of scientology?
yea another system making money off of idiots stupid enough to believe it......now back to Sci-Fi.....i know guys more right wing than Rabbi who are pretty hard core fans of Sci-Fi.....go to a Sci-Fi Convention sometimes and tell me everyone there is a Liberal....

Come on, was I supposed to go out and do a survey before commenting.

I read Dune and liked it.

The REAL fans of it like the trekies are Scientology people.

oh bullshit.....i have been to no less than 6 Trek and Starlog Conventions....and have been a member of two Trek sites......the people dont take "Religion" to seriously.....and L.Ron Hubbard is a guy who gets made fun of......many cant stand his books even....

Forum List

Back