Is the Voluntary Military a Good?

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
Everyone who served in the military knows some things. And while my perspective is from the sixties I would think these things still hold. No soldier, Marine, Air Force, Army, or Navy recruit does anything they are not told to do. GIs of any strip work for their government, if they disagreed with any policy or duty, be it KP or latrine duty, they were always free to see the Chaplain.

Military life can be a good life if you can tolerate the restrictions and the constant travel, sometimes to the remotest reaches of the earth. Family stayed home. This lead to many family problems, the saddest thing for the soldier was the 'Dear John.' Personally I never quite fit in, my time was the time of the draft and most American boys thought it a duty and not the enslavement some consider it today. Failure to salute got my ass reamed out many times. 'Sorry Sir, I didn't see you.'

But you learn in the military, we still had the GI Bill, and the service taught you to take care of yourself, to grow up, to learn during those hours of just watch. We had lots of drunks and lots of lifers, and lots of dreamers hoping for a better tomorrow, no one complained about three-two, like all things it was a mixed experience.

Now consider today when Navy Seals presume to take credit for something they were ordered to do and when they were provided the training and tools to do it? Obviously Obama deserves credit for a gutsy decision and the Seals great credit for a pretty flawless operation, but when did this mindless (political?) whining become part of the military too? It is bad enough we have the useless whining of the tea party, now the military has entered the fray. Remember RHIP, the chain of command matters if order is to be maintained. What has happened to the code of conduct.

So I ask is the voluntary military another step towards the decline of America? A step closer to a banana republic in which the banana owners control the republic. Is the all volunteer Army a good thing? I am beginning to think not. Diversity provides brakes on group think. Your thoughts.

A grunt forever and proud of it.

Obviously Hillary and Val Jarette deserves credit for a gutsy decision

there, fixed

The U.S. military today is as well equiped, trained, and professional as any time in history. Not better than other eras by any means. I would not dare compare our Greatest Generation to anyone but have seen personally members of this group marvel at the accomplishments of today's members. I also hold Vietnam veterans in the highest esteem. The contributions and sacrifices of these men and women are much more monumental than given credit for.

The present day outcry from former military members and SEAL operators in particular comes from the leaks of information designed to make the president look good. The bin Laden hit was a gift and a no-brainer. Obama had no choice but to OK the operation. One of the true crimes in this is the Paki physician who sits in prison due to his role. Without him, the U.S. would not have known Geronimo was in the house.

Also, the only thing "banana republic" about this great country is the Chicago political machine currently occupying 1600 Pennsylvannia Ave.

Last edited:
Just look at the wars America is involved in today and ask yourself if they have anything to do with "Defending Freedom"?

Anyone who volunteers for the Military nowadays aught to have his head examined.

Last edited:
When I was in the service, 82-92, seems there were 3 different types of thinking:

1. Guys who loved what they did and wanted nothing else.
2. Guys who were just glad to NOT be in the other branches.
3. Guys who viewed it as "Just another Gov't job".

When I was in the service, 82-92, seems there were 3 different types of thinking:

1. Guys who loved what they did and wanted nothing else.
2. Guys who were just glad to NOT be in the other branches.
3. Guys who viewed it as "Just another Gov't job".

I never understooud the ones that joined and then would do anything to get out. One cat in the motor pool beat his arm against an Abrahams M-1 tank until he broke his arm, just to get out of duty.
I was in from 1982-1988 Army, lasy duty station, Fart Hood, Tx. 1/68 Air Defense artillery company D

Last edited:
Just look at the wars America is involved in today and ask yourself if they have anything to do with "Defending Freedom"?

Anyone who volunteers for the Military nowadays aught to have his head examined.

Yet, you wrote this in English without restriction.

Do you know anything about the "nowadays" military? It has been two decades since your time in service after all.

Do you know anything about the "nowadays" military? It has been two decades since your time in service after all.
The Invasion of Iraq neither gave me nor protects my Free Speech Rights. Are you saying it does?

Nowadays Military?: 3 or more tours of duty in Iraq or Afghanistan then back home to be put on psychotropic drugs and substandard VA Care. We're now seeing a rise in Military suicides from all that.

Nowadays Military?: Marines guarding opium poppy fields in Afghanistan so that it can be safely shipped to the US for Americans to be arrested for using and then be put into the Prison Industrial Complex, which is one of the few booming industries in the USA. Banks launder the Drug money as well, THAT'S what the Military protects.

Nowadays Military?: A UN Globalist Tool. The President and Secretary of Defense have said as much. I know you support that right? Wake up Sailor.

You see, the problem is Compartmentalized Veterans like you and Ollie who think ANY criticism (Which is exercising Free Speech) of the Military is Seditious and Anti-American.

Tell us Old Navy, after WWII which War has America fought that actually protected our rights here at home? Vietnam? Grenada? Iraq (twice)? Don't make me laugh!

America's Military has morphed into the Global Military Industrial Complex that Eisenhower warned us about. It no longer protects us but now wants to control us and our Economy.

The beauty, and perhaps reason for a voluntary military, is that the nation, President, Secretary of Defense, or other, can engage in military operations that would invite public protests with a draft. The draft requires the operation to have some significance the public understands or bingo Kent States or John Kerrys. I wonder how many major military operations of the US have been significant?

The draft is in fact slavery. If "free" society must use slave armies to exist, it doesn't deserve to.

The Invasion of Iraq neither gave me nor protects my Free Speech Rights. Are you saying it does?

Nowadays Military?: 3 or more tours of duty in Iraq or Afghanistan then back home to be put on psychotropic drugs and substandard VA Care. We're now seeing a rise in Military suicides from all that.

Nowadays Military?: Marines guarding opium poppy fields in Afghanistan so that it can be safely shipped to the US for Americans to be arrested for using and then be put into the Prison Industrial Complex, which is one of the few booming industries in the USA. Banks launder the Drug money as well, THAT'S what the Military protects.

Nowadays Military?: A UN Globalist Tool. The President and Secretary of Defense have said as much. I know you support that right? Wake up Sailor.

You see, the problem is Compartmentalized Veterans like you and Ollie who think ANY criticism (Which is exercising Free Speech) of the Military is Seditious and Anti-American.

Tell us Old Navy, after WWII which War has America fought that actually protected our rights here at home? Vietnam? Grenada? Iraq (twice)? Don't make me laugh!

America's Military has morphed into the Global Military Industrial Complex that Eisenhower warned us about. It no longer protects us but now wants to control us and our Economy.

I guess it was your "head examined" comment that struck a nerve. My son is a young officer of Marines and soon will be headed to A'stan to relieve I MEF in that AOR. So I am more than a compartmentalized veteran. I'm a dad who believes that the military goes where ordered by the president, regardless of which side of the political aisle we sit. I'm also a 26 year Corpsman with three FMF tours which is more time with the Marines than most Marines ever spend.

While Marines are guarding poppies, the sea lanes are still being kept open by the carrier strike groups. Other countries keep their fingers off the nuclear triggers due to our boomer force under the seas. The world's finest Army stands ready to maintain order in any situation. So, even though the civilian leadership sends the military into engagements that do not directly protect American freedoms, the number one constitutional mandate is still being carried out every day.

Now consider today when Navy Seals presume to take credit for something they were ordered to do...

Obviously those who do something deserve the credit for what they do. Those who give orders deserve cedit for that and those who carry them out deserve the credit for doing the job.

Everyone who served in the military knows some things. And while my perspective is from the sixties I would think these things still hold. No soldier, Marine, Air Force, Army, or Navy recruit does anything they are not told to do. GIs of any strip work for their government, if they disagreed with any policy or duty, be it KP or latrine duty, they were always free to see the Chaplain.

Military life can be a good life if you can tolerate the restrictions and the constant travel, sometimes to the remotest reaches of the earth. Family stayed home. This lead to many family problems, the saddest thing for the soldier was the 'Dear John.' Personally I never quite fit in, my time was the time of the draft and most American boys thought it a duty and not the enslavement some consider it today. Failure to salute got my ass reamed out many times. 'Sorry Sir, I didn't see you.'

But you learn in the military, we still had the GI Bill, and the service taught you to take care of yourself, to grow up, to learn during those hours of just watch. We had lots of drunks and lots of lifers, and lots of dreamers hoping for a better tomorrow, no one complained about three-two, like all things it was a mixed experience.

Now consider today when Navy Seals presume to take credit for something they were ordered to do and when they were provided the training and tools to do it? Obviously Obama deserves credit for a gutsy decision and the Seals great credit for a pretty flawless operation, but when did this mindless (political?) whining become part of the military too? It is bad enough we have the useless whining of the tea party, now the military has entered the fray. Remember RHIP, the chain of command matters if order is to be maintained. What has happened to the code of conduct.

So I ask is the voluntary military another step towards the decline of America? A step closer to a banana republic in which the banana owners control the republic. Is the all volunteer Army a good thing? I am beginning to think not. Diversity provides brakes on group think. Your thoughts.

A grunt forever and proud of it.

The SEALs presumed to take credit for doing something they were ordered to do?

Hate to point out the obvious, but every member of that team volunteered. Twice. Then they trained harder than you ever thought about. They didn't presume anything, they earned it.

Fuck, you just pissed me off so much I am going to have to neg you.

Forum List

Back