Is the US Healthcare System Responsible for Low Longevity Ranking?

I believe our lifestyle does contribute, but I also believe that if healthcare was affordable, even for the lower middle class, we would be healthier as a country. We would have doctors advising their patients that their lifestyle is killing them and lifestyles would change.

Also, if one gets in to the habit of visiting the Doctor at least once a year for their wellness visit, and had tests done that are recommended for their risk or age, then problems would be found earlier and prognosis would be better than if they found their illnesses later in life. HOW can anyone DISCOUNT this?

It may cost us upfront for these at minimum, yearly visits, but it would save us in the long run to have these illnesses treated when in an early stage verses paying out the yin yang for them, once the people without insurance reach Medicare age, where we are paying nearly the entire bill.

I have heard this many times and I agree to a point. What I have a question about is to what degree does this affect our longevity ranking? Is there any study which shows how much our life expectancy would increase if everyone saw the doctor at least once per year?

From the study I presented, our lifestyles have a major impact on longevity.

I believe our lifestyle does contribute, but I also believe that if healthcare was affordable, even for the lower middle class, we would be healthier as a country. We would have doctors advising their patients that their lifestyle is killing them and lifestyles would change.

Also, if one gets in to the habit of visiting the Doctor at least once a year for their wellness visit, and had tests done that are recommended for their risk or age, then problems would be found earlier and prognosis would be better than if they found their illnesses later in life. HOW can anyone DISCOUNT this?

It may cost us upfront for these at minimum, yearly visits, but it would save us in the long run to have these illnesses treated when in an early stage verses paying out the yin yang for them, once the people without insurance reach Medicare age, where we are paying nearly the entire bill.

I have heard this many times and I agree to a point. What I have a question about is to what degree does this affect our longevity ranking? Is there any study which shows how much our life expectancy would increase if everyone saw the doctor at least once per year?

And yet with all the shit we stuff into our faces and pour down our throats while sitting motionless on the couch for days on end we're living longer than ever before.

I wonder what's to account for that?

To answer the question - yes, it is.

Finns have terrible problems with alcohol, we have problems with obesity and diabetes, and yet Finns live 3 or 4 years longer than Americans.

The answer to me has to be linked to the fact that any Finn can see a doctor when they need one, without having to max out the credit cards.

Do you have any other evidence to support your answer, other than one example of alcohol and Finland? It was already proven that the US has a much greater problem with obesity from the study provided. We seem to have many more problems as a result of our lifestyles, although we are making good strides on smoking. Smoking prevention campaigns have done a lot of good. We just will not see the effects of it for a few more years. This change was brought about without any changes to the health care system, just through educating people.

I agree that stress can definitely cause health issues if it is not taken care of. Exercise would do wonders to help with that.

There are so many factors here to consider and assumptions make for weak arguments.

Yes we could ASSUME that with more treatment later in life- we'd live longer.

We could also ASSUME that placing more value on quality of life (eating better, stressing less, etc...) we wouldn't have to concern ourselves so much with treatment later in life.

The truth is that health-wise- we are a nation of contradictions.

We also have to factor in that as a whole our nation is blessed with plenty of food and drinking water - yet we choose to pay for crap to consume. Our children are on the whole inoculated against a variety of diseases - but does this lead to other health issues? Public education is available but instead of teaching healthier lifestyles we preach to prepare for corporate America and more fast paced, high stressed lives as adults. We are taught that we are members of the greatest nation in the world and as such we are ENTITLED to reap the work of those that have gone before us and are willing to carry us today.

There are no repercussions for poor decisions in lifestyle EXCEPT poor health. How is extending the life of those that have not taken responsibility for their own lives beneficial?

Perhaps it sounds cold but we are all born to die- what is the benefit of extending the life of those that are not able to provide for themselves let alone contribute to society?

Fayebelle
That is so very narrow minded...not nearly all of the people without health insurance are lazy nor did they make bad choices. Those that made the bad choices you speak about ARE BEING COVERED with their health care through Medicare....

Those that ARE WORKING and supporting themselves and family, who can not afford the $25,000 A YEAR for a policy for 2 people, who do not have coverage offered by their employer at a group discount rate, ARE NOT to blame....and $25k a year is what it costs for Individual Insurance here for 2, in the State of Maine.

Do unto others as you would want them to do unto you....

To just say, "Let them die off young, they deserve it" is about as cold as ice as one can be....surely you don't really mean this?

Care

And yet with all the shit we stuff into our faces and pour down our throats while sitting motionless on the couch for days on end we're living longer than ever before.

I wonder what's to account for that?

good medicine, good doctors, good medical technology

Finns have terrible problems with alcohol, we have problems with obesity and diabetes, and yet Finns live 3 or 4 years longer than Americans.

The answer to me has to be linked to the fact that any Finn can see a doctor when they need one, without having to max out the credit cards.

And your comparison is no doubt with Americans of Finnish ancestry only, right? If not then it is an invalid comparison. 10% of our population is black, 12-15% was born in Mexico or another third world country, both are things which reduce our overall average life expectancy as compared to a country like Finland. The fact that we are only 3 to 4 years behind Finland shows that our system is far better.

That can't be the reason since every American, regardless of wealth, income insurance status or pre existing conditions can see a doctor and receive comprehensive health care at a federally funded health care clinic on a sliding scale fee basis that goes from $ 0.00 to market value for that area depending on income. Check out this link from the US Department of Health and Human Services below to see the services provided and locations.

HRSA - Find a Health Center - Search Page

In all developed countries, including the US, aside from genetics, the two major determinants of longevity are lifestyle choices and making wise use of available health care services. Numerous studies have shown that people with more education make better choices in both areas than those with less education and for that reason live longer. For example,

Harvard University health policy researcher Ellen Meara says scholars have found some clues as to why some groups of people have more or less disease than others. She says one important factor in people's health is the amount of education they have.

In her most recent paper, Meara looked at data from the United States census. These counts of people occur every 10 years. Meara and her colleagues examined data from several decades.

"We looked at life expectancy at age 25," Meara says.

"How many additional years can you expect to live if you arrive at age 25 and your education has stopped at high school, or sooner? Versus how many years, can you expect to live if you've reached aged 25 and you've gone on to at least some college…"

Meara says they found that in 1990, a 25-year-old who only had some secondary school could expect to live for a total of 75 years. In 2000, a 25 year old with some secondary education could also expect to live to the age of 75.

In contrast, for a better educated 25-year-old, they could expect to live to the age of 80 in 1990. Someone with a similar education level in the year 2000, could expect to live to be more than 81 years, 81.6 years to be exact.

Meara says, not only do better-educated people live longer to begin with, but over just ten years, more educated people made gains in the length of their lives. Meanwhile, the life expectancy didn't change for less educated people.

Some of these gains can be explained. Meara says researchers know that people who are more educated are more likely to quit smoking cigarettes, or not start at all, compared to people with less education.

"I think it's a reminder not to be complacent," Meara says.

"Just because a population overall appears to be getting healthier, it doesn't always mean that those advantages and successes that many people have enjoyed really extend into all parts of the population. And I think that's something to really pay attention to regardless of whether you live in the US or elsewhere."

Meara points out that education often determines income - people with more education frequently make more money. This makes them better able to access health care, and purchase other resources and services that can keep them healthier. But the data on income do NOT show that people who make more money are automatically healthier.

Meara says education is key. People need to be educated in order to take advantage of opportunities for better health.

Harvard Researcher:  Education Key to Longevity | Science and Technology | English

Fayebelle
That is so very narrow minded...not nearly all of the people without health insurance are lazy nor did they make bad choices. Those that made the bad choices you speak about ARE BEING COVERED with their health care through Medicare....

Did you read the portion of my post re: healthy life choices? If you CHOOSE to smoke, drink, work 15 hours a day, take "working vacations", go to work sick, eat crap - you are CHOOSING poor health.

My point being we wouldn't NEED so much health coverage if we didn't make so many choices leading to poor health. Of course there will always be disease and emergencies but they would be far easier to cover if every cold wasn't reacted to as an emergency and every STD wasn't put on the same level as TB.

Yes, because the average longevity of hundreds ofmillions of people is such a simple, straightforward issue that there can't POSSIBLY be any other explanation, or more likely, combination of explanations. It's a clear, linear cause and effect . . . that you can't even begin to prove.

:slap:

And your comparison is no doubt with Americans of Finnish ancestry only, right? If not then it is an invalid comparison. 10% of our population is black, 12-15% was born in Mexico or another third world country, both are things which reduce our overall average life expectancy as compared to a country like Finland. The fact that we are only 3 to 4 years behind Finland shows that our system is far better.

I understand that Native Americans have lower life expectancies, as well. Wonder how many of THOSE are in the Finnish population?

I'd also like to ask- what is the point of longevity?

I mean is the idea to see how close we can get to having all the top spots in the Guiness Book for oldest living people?

It seems that those who believe that the US longevity ranking is mainly caused by our health care system really have no credible evidence to support their belief.

Forum List

Back