Is the US becoming a serf economy

Do you want to compare the US to Scandanavia? The Scandanavians are playing with a loaded deck. How about we send them several million immigrants apiece for some free handouts. Their economy will tank within a few years.

In the case of Finland you have a point, but Sweden and Denmark have more than their share of immigrants - try visiting Copenhagen's Nörrebro or Stockholms Rinkeby and you won't hear much Danish or Swedish spoken.

Why do you think our economies will tank....is it just wishful thinking?

if it was wishful thinking it would not be to tank someone else's economy, but solve a problem. Do you really believe the Scandanavian countries will not suffer economiclly under the weight of tens of millions of illegal immigrants ? Seriously?

The US takes in more "legal" immigrants than all other countries combined, much less all the illegals. You are comparing apples to oranges.

Last edited:
For many of the expats that I have known who lived and worked in countries like Norway, Sweden and Finland, the welcome received was often superficial. Top jobs are reserved for the natives and even immigrants enjoy second class status. Often for the most qualified expats, the attitude is "get the job done and then please leave .... quickly". Friends who married natives never saw upward mobility as a possibility in those countries. So comparisons at the level you describe are not possible.

I don't entirely disagree with that...but did your friends speak Danish/Swedish etc?

Companies like Nokia work in English - and the CEO is Canadian. How bad can the bias be there?

Three were actually graduate students that married while in-country and seem to speak very well but I can't say for sure. Can I ask what percentage of company top managers and executive officers are immigrants in those countries? Nokia I'm afraid is not representative as a whole.

I must disagree with the premise of the OP. While i understand that there may be a growing disparity between the uber-rich and everyone else, a serf economy is off base.

This country, and most others, were not affluent until decades after the world-wide Great Depression. Working class americans did not start to acquire any kind of economic prosperity until the 1950's. The decades following began to show a gradual accumulation of wealth and security. The gap between the lowest of the low and the middle has shrunk certainly.

Our "poor" are not all that destitute and they have safety nets. There is also opportunity to pull yourself out of poverty unless you feel sorry for yourself and give up.

Do you want to compare the US to Scandanavia? The Scandanavians are playing with a loaded deck. How about we send them several million immigrants apiece for some free handouts. Their economy will tank within a few years.

You base this info on what exactly? Did you read of this, or were you poor? Have you ever had it rough in THESE TIMES?

the very first thing you need to do is pick up a history book.

Also, I have gotten some very good first hand information. It has come from my grandparents, parents and those of that generation.I have also experienced it first hand myself. I'm no spring chicken, sonny boy.

Have I been poor? What is your point on this. It's irrelevant.

but......

According to the definition of poor, yes I have been poor. And I have pulled myself out of it, and worked my way to 2 masters degrees.

You are quite a snide jackass aren't you

Can I ask what percentage of company top managers and executive officers are immigrants in those countries? Nokia I'm afraid is not representative as a whole.

In Finland it would be low because of the immense language barrier - except in companies which work in English, and there are a lot of those now.

I totally agree that it is not easy for migrants here, but a large part of that is not bias, but language issues. (Which is not to say there is not a racist element as well, because I am sure there is).

. Do you really believe the Scandanavian countries will not suffer economiclly under the weight of tens of millions of illegal immigrants ? Seriously?

The US takes in more "legal" immigrants than all other countries combined, much less all the illegals. You are comparing apples to oranges.

There are only a few tens of millions of Scandinavians!!

Immigration can be expensive, without question, but I think there is a net economic gain for us here as well. Immigrants provide skills and labour we need.

We have the highest per capita of master degrees in the world - what we lack are bus drivers, nurses, waiters and barmen.

Hence, we actively need a flow of people from Africa and Eastern Europe, and we benefit from their presence.

Mr h.

What I have stated is fact, and there are a couple of American studies which confirm this.

This is probably why you find you can not reply to it sensibly.

I think it has been proven that this is not true.

It is increasingly true that the only wealthy people in the US were born that way.

Economic mobility is lower in the US than in most other developed countries.
Fact or opinion?
"I think" is an opinion statement, not a fact.

Alan -

That economic mobility is lower in the US than in many other countries is a fact.

I think it has thus been proven that Mr H's statement is not true.

Funny, you don't see most of the innovation and technology coming out of northeastern Europe these days. No, you see that coming out of the UNITED STATES and Eastern Asia. LOL

Our system is better as it gets people to innovate and to think, while Europe these days just hands them free shit.

Perhaps you need to look at the chart again.

What your system does is pour money into the hands of a rich elite.

If you think that encourages thinking and innovation, I'd be interested as to how that works.

btw, northeastern Europe? You mean Poland?

What our system does is allow more people access to wealth. Whether it be what some consider to be "excessive" amounts of wealth or even more modest access.
The poorest among us still have cars, cell phones, computers, televisions etc and would be considered quite well off by those in most other nations.
You can take issue with what could accurately be considered a huge difference between those with the most and those with the least in America but to imply that anything beyond our own drive and desire is in fact preventing people from ascending in economic status in America, as is the case in so much of the world, is simply wrong.
You are not "stuck" in the socioeconomic class in which you were born for life and in my humble opinion, America offers more opportunity to improve your status than most of the world.

IGetIt -

If it were 1955, I would agree with you. At that stage America really was the land of the free, and any person could work their way up in society.

You are not "stuck" in the socioeconomic class in which you were born for life and in my humble opinion, America offers more opportunity to improve your status than most of the world.

This seems to be a myth these days.

According to the 2007 "American Dream Report" study, "by some measurements" -- relative mobility between generations -- "we are actually a less mobile society than many other nations, including Canada, France, Germany and most Scandinavian countries. This challenges the notion of America as the land of opportunity.

Economic mobility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IGetIt -

If it were 1955, I would agree with you. At that stage America really was the land of the free, and any person could work their way up in society.

This seems to be a myth these days.

According to the 2007 "American Dream Report" study, "by some measurements" -- relative mobility between generations -- "we are actually a less mobile society than many other nations, including Canada, France, Germany and most Scandinavian countries. This challenges the notion of America as the land of opportunity.

Economic mobility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not surprising when you consider that in America we import the poor in hopes that they'll vote for those responsible for threatening the age old adage of "a better life for our children than we have for ourselves". My guess is that the data on France, Germany, Canada and the Scandinavians is not so skewed by foreign invaders...in fact, it's not a guess.

My guess is that the data on France, Germany, Canada and the Scandinavians is not so skewed by foreign invaders...in fact, it's not a guess.

Almost every country in Europe has very high levels of immigration, and I don't think they can be blamed for impeding economic mobility. (Finland does not, but Denmark and Sweden do have)

The reason that economic mobility has dropped in the US is largely because executive salaries rose 400% faster than the average salary - particularly Reagan.

It is hard to get ahead when your own salary drops relative to inflation, while those above you skyrocket.

]The Gini Index measures how wealth is collected and held.

There is no right or wrong formula to it, but I dare say most of us do want to live in a society with no incentives or rewards, but neither do many of us want to feel that we can not work our way up in the world.

Most developed capitalist societies are spread in a loose bunch from the Scandinavian nations at one end, towards Portugal and Japan at the other.

The US, however, is now miles off by itself, with countries like Iran and Jamaica for company.

What this shows is that the US is a society in which a massive proportion of wealth is held by the super rich. It may be an exaggeration to say that in resembles a feudal society with lords and ladies lazing around playing polo while the workers go off to fight wars, but it isn't far off.

In my opinion, this should be regarded as a national disgrace and embarassment. It in no way resembles the ideals upon which America is founded, IMO.

List of countries by income equality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

GINIretouchedcolors.png

i still love how we hve to mock the rich, does he say how the rich sacrificed or was it all just handed to them. and no i dont awnt to live in a country where im giving money with no rewards or incentives. I work for a lowly wage but more proud that i do work for what i have.

The nation state is dead. There is no "U.S.".

With globalization there are the world's owners and workers. American workers must compete with 3rd world workers who make pennies.

An overwhelming proportion of the investment capital that originates in this country utilizes labor outside this country.

Walmart gets 100% of its manufacturing from China. Once you understand what that means for the American worker, you will understand that there is no "U.S."

All the worlds wealthy has access to a transnational class of serfs. The only way for workers in Alabama to get a factory is for them to accept lower wages than the 3rd world. Once you understand what that means for the American worker, you will understand that there is no "U.S."

There is the world's wealthy and their workers.

Last edited:
My guess is that the data on France, Germany, Canada and the Scandinavians is not so skewed by foreign invaders...in fact, it's not a guess.

Almost every country in Europe has very high levels of immigration, and I don't think they can be blamed for impeding economic mobility. (Finland does not, but Denmark and Sweden do have)

The reason that economic mobility has dropped in the US is largely because executive salaries rose 400% faster than the average salary - particularly Reagan.

It is hard to get ahead when your own salary drops relative to inflation, while those above you skyrocket.

I'm not referring to immigration of the legal variety and the not so legal variety has adverse effects in many areas of our economy.
Regardless, I'd much rather be poor in the US with a car, computer, a home and all the rest than sitting on a dusty street corner attempting to sell the milk from my one goat in order to buy my family food for the day.

The more relevant threat of American serfdom comes from our move toward government which answers to itself as opposed to we the people as is in fact the case in much of Europe.

Here is how you make serfs. The workers produce more and more for the owner, but the wages stay the same.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-KqeU8nzn4&feature=related]The Costs of Capitalism's Crisis: Who Will Pay? - YouTube[/ame]

Regardless, I'd much rather be poor in the US with a car, computer, a home and all the rest than sitting on a dusty street corner attempting to sell the milk from my one goat in order to buy my family food for the day.

So would I.

I was in Liberia last month, and saw people selling plastic buckets at traffic lights to get by...many looked like they hadn't eaten in days.

But the US and EU should hold loftier goals - if people work hard and use their money wisely, they should have a fair chance of owning that home, of becoming manager of their team at work, and maybe get their kids through university.

How many immigrants can say that is a realistic goal?

So would I.

I was in Liberia last month, and saw people selling plastic buckets at traffic lights to get by...many looked like they hadn't eaten in days.

But the US and EU should hold loftier goals - if people work hard and use their money wisely, they should have a fair chance of owning that home, of becoming manager of their team at work, and maybe get their kids through university.

How many immigrants can say that is a realistic goal?

That would depend on which variety of immigrant you're referring to.

Forum List

Back