Is the US a declining country?

Discussion in 'History' started by Patrick2, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Patrick2

Patrick2 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +104
    I'm interested in everyone's view, and their reasons. I'm talking about the long view - don't clutter the thread with news from the last 24 hours.

I subscribe to the view that it is.

Reasons: Unsustainable spending and debt, the growth of statism with the corollary decline in entrepreneurship, the nature of immigration, the seeming inability to deal with the problem of american labor and the exportation of jobs, balkanization, to name a few.

2. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    At best hold steady, but mostly declining in that we are not even maintaing our infrastructure let alone perfoming needed exapnsions of it.

Meidan wage earners make what they did in 1969 once inflation is figured in.

3. hortysir

hortysir In Memorial of 47

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,296
    'rapidly'

4. Polk

Polk Classic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +569
    The Rome parallel is apt, but not in the way most people use it.

5. Wiseacre

Wiseacre Retired USAF Chief Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    I think we are declining, mainly due to extremely poor governance over the past 50 years or so. Neither party has the moral high ground, and both have put themselves and their party ahead of the best interests of the country.

What'll it take to change things? I think we need a major shitstorm that causes a big shift in civics and personal responsibility. I think we're too focused on our daily lives and individual issues, we're going to have to get our collective heads out of our collective asses and re-establish the values and principles that got us this far. If we don't, we're fucked. And our kids and grandkids are too.

6. Polk

Polk Classic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +569
    As much as people hate to admit it, the biggest cause of our decline is math. We make up roughly 5% of the world's population. Even if we do everything right, it's hard to be envision us having 20% of global output and 50% of global defense spending over the long run.

7. Disenchanted61

Disenchanted61 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Well, the blueprint for the intentional cause for economic desparity of a Nation, began with Pinochet of Chile in the early seventies
    involving the same coersion tactics used by the same Banker's today, in Latin America, Africa, and various Euoropean countries. And the same sequence of event's are recognized by Geo-political watchdogs and insiders here in the States. So...based on this historical fact, how would you sum up the fate of our nation?

8. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Yep!

When you are no longer a producer but a consumer you become beholden to others and therefore on the slippery slope of decline and fall.

9. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Yes. I think anyone who thinks that America will get BETTER from here -- measured by standard of living, national security, education, life satisfaction, whatever -- is insane. It just isn't. Our lives are worse than our parents and grandparents, no doubt about it. We work longer hours for less money, we live immoral lives, nobody goes to church anymore.

I think all your ideas are right. Race is a big one: we are not going to sustain the nation as we've known it with the coming minority white population. Nobody speaks English anymore. The blacks are just going to remain violent and lazy drags on everything. Hispanics are almost worse -- they are NOT improving our country by coming here to do freakin' landscaping. Muslims just want to blow the place up. Jews just want us to blow up the Muslims, overseas.

The American military is basically Israel's bitch.

Heard a Texas oilman on the radio the other day. Said, "the American economy is based on filing lawsuits and flipping burgers. That's not a recipe for future success." True dat.

Heard a libertarian scholar say, "China is run by engineers. America is run by lawyers. Guess who'll own the future?" True dat.

We don't MAKE stuff in America anymore. We don't even make MANHOLE COVERS, for God's sake. We import those.

The Social Security and related systems will run out of money. The T-bills will be worthless. The dollar is not the top currency anymore - even the Euro is slipping.

We pour trillions down the drain on worthless shit. I'm in court the other day, and someone announces he's on SSDI. Why? He has ADD. Fucking seriously? Not a good sign.

Political correctness chokes everything. The state requires daycares to promote multiculturalism.

America is probably going to die quicker than we suspect.

And it may not be replaced quickly or easily by something neat and tidy. There may be some messy transition period. No matter. What matters to me is that my race, the white race, does well and lands on the other side. Hopefully, we'll establish smaller nations or territories that recognize the primacy of race and ethnicity in the make-up of a cohesive, functional society.

10. Bones

Bones VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Only head-in-the-sand flag suckers still walk around in their red, white and blue panties crying "This is the greatest nation on earth! How dare you blaspheme and claim that our collective shit stinks."

It does. America is a rotting corpse with the Federal Reserve serving as ventriloquist. Once the default occurs, get ready for a bumpy, violent descent into the economic and social abyss.