Is the U.S. Government Too Big to Succeed?

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
This is not a partisan issue. Over the years, the government has grown to such a behemoth that often one hand does not know what the other is doing. It's a cliché to say that government programs result in unintended consequences which often worsen the problem they were intended to solve (which then result in more doomed to fail "solutions").

Observing the extreme fustercluck launched by the BP spill is just one petri dish of government ineffectiveness - but it causes me to conclude that our government has grown to the point where it is congenitally unable to succeed.

I'm inclined to agree. The debt levels combined with the excessive liabilities for public employee pensions and SS/Medicare insolvency alone are at the point where the Ponzi Scheme is going to collapse.

It's going to get very very ugly.

This is not a partisan issue. Over the years, the government has grown to such a behemoth that often one hand does not know what the other is doing. It's a cliché to say that government programs result in unintended consequences which often worsen the problem they were intended to solve (which then result in more doomed to fail "solutions").

Observing the extreme fustercluck launched by the BP spill is just one petri dish of government ineffectiveness - but it causes me to conclude that our government has grown to the point where it is congenitally unable to succeed.

300 million people
$15 trillion GDP
Most powerful military in the history of the world
3.5 million square miles of area
Most powerful economic engine in the world

What part of that says small government?

Government programs should come with a packet insert, just like pharmaceuticals, containing warnings about all the unintended consequences of said programs and should be thoroughly read and digested prior to voting. I've found that with most things, less is more. It certainly is the case with government.

300 million people
$15 trillion GDP

Federal debt at 93% of GDP, and soon to cross the 100% threshold. Such levels mean lower economic growth, slower job creation, and higher unemployment.

And the correct concept is: limited government.

Government programs should come with a packet insert, just like pharmaceuticals, containing warnings about all the unintended consequences of said programs and should be thoroughly read and digested prior to voting. I've found that with most things, less is more. It certainly is the case with government.

Indeed. Instead, we have to let Congress pass the bills before we get to know what's in them.

As a country, we are top-heavy. The weight needs to be shifted back down to the bottom, where we the common folk reside. ( and small business )

Is the U.S. Government Too Big to Succeed?
It's too incompetent, inept and far too insulated from the negative economic repercussions of their inefficient and ineffective policies to succeed at anything, its size nonwithstanding.

Ditto.

The Govt and its employees exist in a vacume.

No one gets layed off or fired.

They get raises and cost of living increases every year.

No one has to tighen a belt or worry about paying the bills because the taxpyaer dollar is always there.

Wonder what will happen when we run out of the money it takes to fire the engine of the behemouth??

Just an FYI.....

Government involvement in the BP spill is a waste of tax payer money. No one wants to stop that leak more than BP. It is bad for revenue, bad for image and bad for the stock price.

Despite what his sheep believe, Obama is not qualified to find a cure to the problem. He is not an engineer, and in no way does he or anyone affiliated with the government know as much about that rig and its issues than those that built it and ran it.

Just had to say that.

Carry on.

Just an FYI.....

Government involvement in the BP spill is a waste of tax payer money. No one wants to stop that leak more than BP. It is bad for revenue, bad for image and bad for the stock price.

Despite what his sheep believe, Obama is not qualified to find a cure to the problem. He is not an engineer, and in no way does he or anyone affiliated with the government know as much about that rig and its issues than those that built it and ran it.

Just had to say that.

Carry on.

The Feds could certainly release funding for booms, dredging and berms to contain the oil and prevent further damage to the coast and wetlands. That is a proper use for some of the $1.5B in 8 cent per barrel taxes they have collected over the years. If this oil disaster is not extreme enough to justify spending some of those tax receipts, I'd hate to see one that is.

300 million people
$15 trillion GDP

All of it.

300 million people
$15 trillion GDP

that what you see in the bottom of all your whiskey bottles ????

Forum List

Back