Is the term TeaBagger turning into hate speech?

Bear with me here on this one.

Most of the people who use "Teabagger" in a negative way to describe tea party protesters typically also claim its a white conservative movement in the country.

So based on the fact that it is hurtful speech directed at a people who are looked at as white, conservative, and angry at the govt is calling them "Teabaggers" hatespeach akin to other derogatory words used for various groups of people.

The tea party is also considered a specific social group so it could come under that classification also.

hate speech - Legal Definition
Speech not protected by the First Amendment, because it is intended to foster hatred against individuals or groups based on race, religion, gender, sexual preference, place of national origin, or other improper classification.

hate speech: Definition from Answers.com
Bigoted speech attacking or disparaging a social or ethnic group or a member of such a group.

Hate speech - Definition
is a controversial term for speech intended to degrade, intimidate, or incite violence or prejudicial action against someone based on their race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, or disability. The term covers written as well as oral communication.

It sure sounds like it qualifies as hate speech so I may have to watch myself with that term in the future.

I don't believe in "hate speech". I believe in FREE SPEECH. And sometimes free speech ain't pretty. :ack-1:

I figure there are two kinds of people who use that term... the ones who simply lack the coping skills to deal with their frustration, and the partisan operatives who are hoping to marginalize the protests. Either way, it's designed to be offensive and to draw a reaction. It's rude. But it says more about them and their sense of panic than it says about anybody else.

On a side note... I don't believe in "hate crimes" either. I view "hate crime" legislation as an attack on free speech... because you can't convict on it save by using the words of a defendant as evidence against him.

A crime is a crime. The guy who ends up dead over the theft of his wallet deserves the same amount of justice as the guy who ends up dead over some kind of mindless prejudice.

Trust me murf i find hate speech laws to be abhorrent. They are a direct violation of our 1st ammendment free speech right that we were "endowed by our creator" with.

However, the laws are on the books and the intent of the usage of the term teabagger by many on this forum falls under the defininition of "hate speech"

Most of the people who use "Teabagger" in a negative way to describe tea party protesters typically also claim its a white conservative movement in the country.

So based on the fact that it is hurtful speech directed at a people who are looked at as white, conservative, and angry at the govt is calling them "Teabaggers" hatespeach akin to other derogatory words used for various groups of people.

The tea party is also considered a specific social group so it could come under that classification also.

Speech not protected by the First Amendment, because it is intended to foster hatred against individuals or groups based on race, religion, gender, sexual preference, place of national origin, or other improper classification.

Bigoted speech attacking or disparaging a social or ethnic group or a member of such a group.

Hate speech - Definition
is a controversial term for speech intended to degrade, intimidate, or incite violence or prejudicial action against someone based on their race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, or disability. The term covers written as well as oral communication.

It sure sounds like it qualifies as hate speech so I may have to watch myself with that term in the future.

let's see if I have this right...

calling all liberals "facists, nazis, scumbags, enemies of freedom, enemies of America"

and promoting violence and hatred against them

is NOT hate speech

but

calling tea baggers....tea baggers...IS hate speech?

lol

cons

what wackos

Hate speech - Definition

Is the term liberal used an an epithet?

Same deal.

Insult is in the ear of the beholder.

Trust me murf i find hate speech laws to be abhorrent. They are a direct violation of our 1st ammendment free speech right that we were "endowed by our creator" with.

However, the laws are on the books and the intent of the usage of the term teabagger by many on this forum falls under the defininition of "hate speech"

Can you cite a law you're referring to?

Ok looks like people need a slight re-education here.

hate speech legal definition

Speech not protected by the First Amendment, because it is intended to foster hatred against individuals or groups based on race, religion, gender, sexual preference, place of national origin, or other improper classification. Bigoted speech attacking or disparaging a social or ethnic group or a member of such a group.

that is for rikules and editec

and read the post right above both of yours also.

sure thing mr lazy bones

Yates v. United States
Brandenburg v. Ohio
Under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964:
Meritor Savings Bank v. Vinson
Patterson v. McLean Credit Union

Ok looks like people need a slight re-education here.

hate speech legal definition

Speech not protected by the First Amendment, because it is intended to foster hatred against individuals or groups based on race, religion, gender, sexual preference, place of national origin, or other improper classification. Bigoted speech attacking or disparaging a social or ethnic group or a member of such a group.

that is for rikules and editec

and read the post right above both of yours also.
What is other improper classification? If I called you a Floridian would that qualify?

Indeed. Some of the most vile racism I've ever witnessed has been aimed at conservative blacks by the Left.

Wow! While the most violent racism or hate I have witnessed has been commited by the right aimed at blacks and gays. It works both ways.

So, can you cite a few examples of violent racism or hate committed by the American political right?

Last edited:

sure thing mr lazy bones

Yates v. United States
Brandenburg v. Ohio
Under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964:
Meritor Savings Bank v. Vinson
Patterson v. McLean Credit Union

Hardly.

Hey....Tea Baggers picked their own name

The lamest name for a political party since the Know Nothings.

If you want to run around dangling tea bags from your body.....you deserve to be called a Tea Bagger
Yes, just as you picked your own name, 'shiteater' as you eat up the shit Barry serves you and beg for seconds.

The name that was picked was the tea party in obvious reference to the last time people were feeling the anquish of taxation without representation and acted on it, The Boston Tea Party.

Then SOME PEOPLE (just like you) decided to run with this

Either way the word, by itself, isn't a problem. However, the intent behind it when used in a certain way could be considered hate speech (hate speech laws are unconstitutional but i wont get into that now).

lol, except you HAVE representation.

Yes, just as you picked your own name, 'shiteater' as you eat up the shit Barry serves you and beg for seconds.

The name that was picked was the tea party in obvious reference to the last time people were feeling the anquish of taxation without representation and acted on it, The Boston Tea Party.

Either way the word, by itself, isn't a problem. However, the intent behind it when used in a certain way could be considered hate speech (hate speech laws are unconstitutional but i wont get into that now).

That reminds me of yesterday's Doonesbury comic.

db100401.gif

I prefer the term ...

"Lame Ass Tea Baggers"

db100401.gif

:lol::lol:

So, conservatives want to be able to what? file charges against people saying teabagger on the internet? on tv? radio?

How would that work, exactly?

db100401.gif

Gotta admit.
It was funny.

So, conservatives want to be able to what? file charges against people saying teabagger on the internet? on tv? radio?

How would that work, exactly?

No way. Is that a rumor or true?

I am a conservative. Call me anything you want. Freedom of speech. Remember?

Is not motive and intent a big part of hate speech (and hate crimes in general)?

If so, then of course the term qualifies. Those that use it are more often than not motivated by their hatred towards those they brand with the label.

That said, I'm with boedi. I think the whole concept of hate speech and hate crimes is a bunch of anti-American, anti-First Amendment bull shit.

Is not motive and intent a big part of hate speech (and hate crimes in general)?

If so, then of course the term qualifies. Those that use it are more often than not motivated by their hatred towards those they brand with the label.

That said, I'm with boedi. I think the whole concept of hate speech and hate crimes is a bunch of anti-American, anti-First Amendment bull shit.

I agree. Now, if someone beat the crap out of a tea party attendee screaming "tea bagger" then MAYBE it can be seen as a hate crime under that hate crime law.

But to call someone tea bagger?

I called my first girlfriend that. But I was young and naive.

Forum List

Back